bikes with engines, anyone got one (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
lesleyjean

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
Hi Steve

To be honest I really do not know what I want, still researching
Could be scooter, could be pushbike, could be car. could be broomstick Hee Hee

Cheers

Happy Days from Lesley from Ilfracombe,

Gotta go to work now :cry: :cry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
My guess it would become a moped as soon as the engine was fitted and therefore will need to be registered taxed, and insured. The biggest problem woulld be a motorised bycicle with push bike brakes.

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Just out of interest here, do electric powered cycles have to be taxed and insured etc?

If not, what's the difference?

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Seems to be a good way of burning your legs.

B

Bigbee

Deleted User
Just out of interest here, do electric powered cycles have to be taxed and insured etc?

In the UK if your over 14 years old you need nothing.Take the bike out of the box,charge up the battery and your off!

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

Its worth reading some of the email replies/questions to this ebay advert as there is some suggestion that the legal position regarding these types of bike could be down to the speed they are operated at,

Link Removed

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi,

Its worth reading some of the email replies/questions to this ebay advert as there is some suggestion that the legal position regarding these types of bike could be down to the speed they are operated at,

Link Removed

So it looks like the speed is the criteria here then.That's why electric bikes don't need to be registered then.

Thanks.

OP
OP
lesleyjean

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
Hot pants it is then

Thanks for the replies, still don't know what to do, saw a lovely yamaha ty50 on ebay 1979. Beautiful bike, but not sure, Wildman Roger thinks I should get 125cc
I am a woman so I keep changing my mind. Hee Hee
Link Removed

Happy Days from Lesley from Ilfracombe :Smile: :Smile:

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi, American Dream

I have tried searching with google but i haven't been able to confirm the suggestions that were made regarding the speed in relationship to use in the email replies, as it would be very helpful if someone could confirm the legal situation.

As in my opinion they seem like a ideal solution over the electric power especially the ones with the engines on the rear carrier that have a roller attached that drops down onto the tyre to give assistance. as the ones shown that fit in the middle of the frame i think could possible get a little hot or you could catch your knees or clothes on the moving parts etc

When we were in the Netherlands last year we saw quiet a number of variations on the petrol engine system, its a pity we didn't take a bit more notice of the manufacturers.

So it looks like the speed is the criteria here then.That's why electric bikes don't need to be registered then.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi, Found some interesting links to the subject:-

Link Removed

Link Removed

www.Cyclemaster.co.uk

I remember the cyclemaster and actually had one for a while back in the late 60's

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
velo solex were popular in france , motor drops down on front wheel . i seem to remember something about petrol engines must be less than 39cc. other wise its a moped , but i could be wrong . get a chinese dax 2 seater if its a 50cc you can ride it on a car licence cheap tax n insurance . if u passed your test get a 90cc or 110cc they work really well . mine carries about 34 stone when i use it with my mate on the back. good for going into gib . :thumb:

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
The TY50 was a great fun bike if a little slow. As transport for I would opt for the 125.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i was always under the impression if a pushbike had an infernal combustion engine fitted it became a mechanicaly propelled vehicle in the eyes of the law and as such had to be registered, insured, taxed and if needed, an MOT.

must be something on VOSA or DVLA websites.

cant see the speed issue carrying any weight........no officer, i dont go over 15mph, not when your around anyway. :ROFLMAO:

if its capable of higher speed then that should be the deciding factor.

bit like saying my motorhome weighs 4 ton but i never load it over 3 ton therefore its a 3 ton motorhome:Doh::bigsmile:oesnt work like that.

dencol

Free Member
Nov 20, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper
Had a look at a variation on one of these petrol adaptations few years back and although the law keeps changing at the time they were classed as a type of motorcycle. As they were not type tested (the manufacturer gets the specific type of vehicle approved for registration) it would mean having to have each individual bike tested to obtain registration as a motor vehicle. The speed was not the main problem but the bikes brakes, lights, horn etc would never pass the test.
I would be interested to hear if anyone gets a different answer from DVLA etc as it would be ideal for me as a run about.

Colin

verity23

Free Member
Sep 20, 2008
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
3 Years
Electric bikes

Electric bikes do not need to be taxed as they have no power until they reach a speed of approx 2km. That's what I was told when I purchased my.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Electric bikes do not need to be taxed as they have no power until they reach a speed of approx 2km. That's what I was told when I purchased my.

sorry pete, but the last one i was on set off as soon as i turned the twistgrip with my feet firmly on the ground :whatthe:

verity23

Free Member
Sep 20, 2008
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
3 Years
Electric bikes

Hi If it powers from stand still it is classed as powered bike and should be taxed. Having said that even with my bike if you pedal backwards it will power from stand still.
Sorry!

pudseykeith

Free Member
Nov 5, 2007
Leeds West Riding of York
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 Years
Just to confuse matters, an 8 mph battery powered mobility scooter needs to be registed with the DVLA and display a tax disc. As such there is no charge made for it , it is zero rated. :thumb: Well untill Mr brown decides it would be 'some easy money' to claw back from the less able. :Angry:

Pudseykeith

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back