Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
You can fit the board with bungys.. No need for new cover..if you can't see the advantages of being more visable what can I say.
Will leave it with this thought. A tired lorry driver sits about 3 metres above road level. You tow bar rack lights about a foot from the ground. What about if its raining heavily,visibility diminishes..... As a cyclist I appreciate being seen.

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
One of the requirements for the board is that the stripes or the patches are reflective. In wet or foggy weather, or at night they show up very well indeed. Make sure, if you buy the plastic ones, that they have 4 reflectors on. The aluminium ones are reflective on the white stripes.

Yes, the stripes are supposed to be ( I think) facing towards the kerb but it is easy to simply turn the board upside down for across the channel. We've got an arrow for This Way Up in UK and an arrow for This Way Up in Europe marked out in black pen on the back.

( No, we don't turn it round in the tunnel and no-one has ever remarked or even, I suspect, noticed.)

Poohbear

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestlye 644
Exp
June 2015
It needs to be used on the rack when it is not in use as the rack itself is classed as an "over hanging projection" as it is not part of the original specification

Really?

homologated & itemised on the registration documents. It is all a nonsense really.

On the registration documents?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Really?

On the registration documents?

Yes. In Spain everything has to be homologated that is not part of the original vehicle. It all goes on the "ficha tecníca" which accompanies the registration document & details the length, width, height, number of axles, diameter of wheels & size of tyres ,weight, etc. If a towbar , bull-bar, fog or driving lights, etc; are fitted then they have to be homologated & added to the Ficha.

Additionally you cannot fit any items yourself .like towbars, bull bars ,fixed bike racks etc; as to add them to the Ficha requires 2 pieces of paper. The first is supplied with the item i.e. tow bar , bull bar , bike rack ,etc; & is basically a certificate of conformity that the item is designed , constructed & Homologated & complies with EU regulations. The second piece of paper is supplied by the person/business licensed to install said items.
The fact that you can probably do a better job installing some of the stuff doesn't come in to it. They have the licence to supply said piece of paper & you don't.

Additionally in the case of some vehicles they will also note on the ficha that the vehicle has an automatic gear box & normally sunroofs as well. Don't ask me why.
AS I have mentioned before I have a fixed bike rack which I do not use. If I remove it then I'd have to replace it for the mot otherwise as it is on the ficha it would fail before the test started as the first thing checked is all the homologated items.
It's just to generate income. You cannot remove something that is on the ficha without paying to have it removed , same as you pay to have it added.

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
+Here It needs to be used on the rack when it is not in use as the rack itself is classed as an "over hanging projection" as it is not part of the original specification & even though we have to have them homologated & itemised on the registration documents. It is all a nonsense really.

You also need one in the UK if it extends the vehicle length by more than 1m of it's original specification.

Poohbear

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestlye 644
Exp
June 2015
You also need one in the UK if it extends the vehicle length by more than 1m of it's original specification.

Which most bike racks don't, even with bikes on.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
actually I thought it was if the load projects beyond a line drawn straight from the rear wheel point of contact and the rear bumper. the test is a straight pole touching the rear tyre and the bottom of the bumper extending out wards. it used to be common to check rear mounted equipment on 4x4s

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
a very thought provoking area. heard all the family stories about it growing up but when you're young you don't think to record them, believing there is plenty of time to do it later

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
IMG_20151028_090643.jpg

OP