Free Member
Feb 28, 2016
GAINSBOROUGH
Funster No
MH
PANEL VAN CONVERSION
Exp
SINCE AUGUST 2015
Thinking of buying a pair of BROMPTON folding cycles for occasional use in the MOHO. Dont want anything racy or want to ride enduro dirt tracks, just a pootle to a village or down a canal path..QUESTION; BROMPTONS are expensive but fold up quite neatly, are they worth it???

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Thinking of buying a pair of BROMPTON folding cycles for occasional use in the MOHO. Dont want anything racy or want to ride enduro dirt tracks, just a pootle to a village or down a canal path..QUESTION; BROMPTONS are expensive but fold up quite neatly, are they worth it???

Think with cycles you get what you pay for within reason,,BUSBY.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
BROMPTONS are expensive but fold up quite neatly, are they worth it???

You're not kidding about expensive. I picked up a folding bike with a RRP of £200+ at a local auction for only £50. Not feather light but it folds up enough to easily fit in the back of a Fiat Panda.

Why pay silly money?

Whilst I understand the appeal of putting bikes in the MH boot as opposed to using a rack, there are far cheaper options that will do virtually the same thing as a Brompton.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
Brompton's are am excellent choice, they are British engineering done well. Go 4 it!

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I understand the Brompton are fantastic bikes but what you have to ask yourself is, does your anticipated use warrant the cost. There are loads of folding bike models on the market, some rubbish and some good ones. At the end of the day it is entirely your choice.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
If you buy a Brompton you can always sell it on whenever you wish, if you buy a cheap folder because it's cheap but not quite as good you just have a cheap folder that won't be worth much at all when you are finished, the way Bromptons sell on the used market you can't fall off, not literally of course.

Martin

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
We had 2 x Brompton's for a 5 years when we lived in London. When it came to selling them we lost 100 quid per bike, so worth the money on the resale market.
We have moved on a little and use battery powered bikes ( gave as many members as we could a go last year at Thetford ) which we would recommend to one and all even just to pootle to a village or down a canal path. There is just something about being helped along on a bike.......
At the end of the day you pay once for good quality or twice for lesser quality.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Or buy a cheap one, get some Brompton stickers made up and no bugger will tell the difference until they get up close and personal :)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
These are good bikes http://airnimal.eu/products/chameleon/performance-sport/#.WQOS_-t4WrU not as easy to fold as a Brompton but a better and more serious ride, and if you thought a Brompton was expensive!!

Martin
'KIN 'ELL the price of that is bit steep isn't it. Bromptons are bad but that is ************ you could buy TWO electric ones for that much. To carry a bike in the van you want cheap and cheerful but light one, also not a downfall if it gets knicked.

Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
Get a cheap /good quality one wont be as attractive to the tea -leafs as a Brompton and does the same job at a fraction of the cost.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
'KIN 'ELL the price of that is bit steep isn't it. Bromptons are bad but that is ************ you could buy TWO electric ones for that much. To carry a bike in the van you want cheap and cheerful but light one, also not a downfall if it gets knicked.
Proper derailleur gears though and rides like a proper bike but packs into a suitcase 24 inches by 24 inches with all your clothes for 2 weeks around the outside. Front wheel goes in the lid.

DSCN1211.JPG

Martin

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
........To carry a bike in the van you want cheap and cheerful but light one, also not a downfall if it gets knicked.
Which leads nicely on to the next issue, even with a quality lock, you daren't let an expensive bike out of your sight, which is a bit restrictive if you want to explore on foot once you've cycled to your destination.

Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
Which leads nicely on to the next issue, even with a quality lock, you daren't let an expensive bike out of your sight, which is a bit restrictive if you want to explore on foot once you've cycled to your destination.
If you lock it they nick parts off a dear one.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Just lock up in a prominent place and hope for the best. Usually we are on the Tandem and that is a bit big to stick under your arm and might look a bit out of place riding away on your own.

Martin

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
We had 2 x Brompton's for a 5 years when we lived in London. When it came to selling them we lost 100 quid per bike, so worth the money on the resale market.
We have moved on a little and use battery powered bikes ( gave as many members as we could a go last year at Thetford ) which we would recommend to one and all even just to pootle to a village or down a canal path. There is just something about being helped along on a bike.......
At the end of the day you pay once for good quality or twice for lesser quality.

Will heed your advice when i am old enough..i am worried that once i use an electric i will loose the ability to pedal again,,BUSBY:D2:D2:D2

Sep 22, 2009
nottingham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 years
Have electric bikes, if you use the low setting you still get the exercise, but, it helps take the strain off.And you still have the higher setting for those hills.Or if you want to can ride with battery turned off

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
My wife and I went with the intention of purchasing a couple of Brompton's but were shown the alternatives. We ended up buying both bikes for the price of one Brompton(y) Really pleased with the quality and great to ride on most surfaces.
IMG_5559.JPG

IMG_5561.JPG

IMG_5563.JPG

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I want one! I want one! I want one!
It's not that difficult, when we bought ours they were based in a small unit on an industrial estate on the outskirts of Cambridge, I had seen the design evolving over a few years at York CTC rally and eventually decided after we had booked a week in Turkey that I fancied taking a pair of these with us so we had to make a mad dash to their place to pick two up.

P4140022.jpg

Of course I had to use mine as a bit of a development mule so carbon chainrings, carbon try spoke and carbon rack that packs flat in the bottom of the case.

Martin

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
This is what I use. It sits behind the passenger seat so as to not get in the way of anything. Does 22mph and goes up 25% gradient hills with a range upto 12miles.

Maybe not so good for the more vintage motorhomers :ROFLMAO: But if you can balance well it's sooooooooo much fun and extreamly practical.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

You'd struggle to buy one half decent electric bike for that.

You're quite correct that ideally for a motorhome you want light but lightweight and cheap and cheerful don't go together in bike terms.

Normally cheap and cheerful means badly made Chinese scrap iron that weighs more than your motorhome.

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
I guess Brommies are expensive to start with but as has been said should you ever need to get some cash, they do sell well.

In my opinion yes you can buy cheaper folding bikes, but I kind of think that I prefer to buy the best I can justifiably afford and hope that by doing that I only buy once.

Also admit to being a bit of a brand snob, I'd not be happy with a Hudle but am with an iPad if you see what I mean.

@funflair really love the look of that bike but I would be a bit put off by having to bolt the pedals back on once unpacked. But overall looks a less compromised bike than the Brompton.

Re security, the beauty of the Brommies is that you don't have to leave them anywhere, literally folds and unfolds in 30 seconds or less (think that proficient users are well under 10 seconds). When folded they can be carried into pub/cafe/put in supermarket trolley and so on. It's what we do anyway!

Never leave them out on site unattended, they fold so easily that they live in the locked garage and are as safe as anything else we take in the MH.

So back to the OP about are they worth the money - can't really say, bit like hard to say whether a £50k Merc is worth the extra £30k over a Ford. Essentially do the same thing but...

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
You'd struggle to buy one half decent electric bike for that.

You're quite correct that ideally for a motorhome you want light but lightweight and cheap and cheerful don't go together in bike terms.
The price said £2099 for the standard one so it a bit too pricey, I would think you would get a very good electric bike for half that price.

Normally cheap and cheerful means badly made Chinese scrap iron that weighs more than your motorhome.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

You can't. You need to be budgeting £2k for a half decent entry level ebike.

Any less and you're straying dangerously close the realm of Chinese scrap iron.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
We had two Brompton purchased New but they didn't suit us as we like to do quite a few miles and it became hard work,when we sold the on EBay my wife's was a special edition and actually made more than we paid for it and the one I had lost about £100.

The point being if you don't like them you can move them on without problem and any significant loss, I don't think any other brand would offer such a result.

OP
OP
BGB

BGB

Free Member
Feb 28, 2016
GAINSBOROUGH
Funster No
MH
PANEL VAN CONVERSION
Exp
SINCE AUGUST 2015
THANKS EVERYONE FOR THE INPUT, REALLY VALID COMMENTS, WISH I KNEW WHAT TO DO NEXT!!!!!

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Proper derailleur gears though and rides like a proper bike but packs into a suitcase 24 inches by 24 inches with all your clothes for 2 weeks around the outside. Front wheel goes in the lid.

View attachment 160135

Martin

Nice, but on my Brompton I could be at the pub and had 2 pints by the time you have that thing up and running:cycle::drinks:;)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Nice, but on my Brompton I could be at the pub and had 2 pints by the time you have that thing up and running:cycle::drinks:;)
For sure, in the motorhome we just use the Tandem or Mountain bikes, the Airnimals are good if you want to fly somewhere.

Trouble is now we have just bought a scooter as well as don't know how I am going to find room in the MH garage for them all:LOL:

Martin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back