Bikers! (1 Viewer)

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Costa Blanca Spain
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Recently whilst booking in at Portsmouth, a group of bikers felt it was okay. Not only to push in-front.

But also to act like thugs and hurl a load of abuse when questioned about their lane hogging and gang tactics.

Picked on the wrong people though. Especially as Mrs. TM Was driving.

Getting a bit fed up of Bikers rule attitude. I am happy to be courteous and allow Bikers to pass in standing traffic or nip in at the lights. Even, allow them priority when exiting the Ferry in the pouring rain.

But queue jumping on a sunny day boarding a Ferry, ignorant ****

Did'nt notice any Special cut either.

TM

(a motorcyclist of the 80's)

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
As an avid current biker I apologise on their behalf. No excuse.

I appreciate others who allow us to jump the queues if the weather is bad or filter in traffic.

OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Surely bikers are people just as motorhomers are people?

Some are nice folk and some are not...

Nothing to do with their bikes or their motorhomes.

JJ :cool:

No, I think you misunderstand me.

I am not being stereo typical.

The Bikers, were well, bikers. They suggested we should not have joined them in the queue, especially as we were in a Mercedes (stereotyping). That the lanes was clearly a "Bikers Lane". And what did we F****** expect and to go and get ******.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
a group of bikers felt it was okay. Not only to push in-front.
But also to act like thugs and hurl a load of abuse when questioned about their lane hogging and gang tactics.

Not the brightest of bikers, bikes always have their own area, does not matter when they get on board.

Not your lucky day I'm afraid.

One year I arrived at the bar on a Spain ferry, load of bikers there and I was in biking gear. Before I could order, one of them gave me a pint. And we got chatting, they were a bunch of Cardiff policemen off to the races. Some time later I was helped back to our cabin, I never managed to open my wallet.

There are bikers and bikers.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
The Bikers, were well, bikers. They suggested we should not have joined them in the queue, especially as we were in a Mercedes (stereotyping). That the lanes was clearly a "Bikers Lane". And what did we F****** expect and to go and get ******.
Reminds me of my mate when we were in Felixstowe one day getting serious grief from a load who were parked up.
He'd warned them a couple of times that it would all end in tears for them & when he came to go he drove over the whole lot.:LOL:Wreckage everywhere.:rofl:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Reminds me of my mate when we were in Felixstowe one day getting serious grief from a load who were parked up.
He'd warned them a couple of times that it would all end in tears for them & when he came to go he drove over the whole lot.:LOL:Wreckage everywhere.:rofl:
Flippin heck! Did he have to go to prison? :eek:

ymfb

Free Member
Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
I’m not defending them, but for the sake of fairness as a biker first, MoHo driver second and occasional car driver.

Most bike riders see other vehicles as an inconvenience and the sooner we are in front the better, this is because everyone else is slower. Forget top speed, I’m talking average speed, getting away at junctions etc.

My experience at Portsmouth ferry terminal is it makes no difference where you are before the kiosks, you will be put in the appropriate lane after booking in for the loading plan.

The ferry leaves after everyone has boarded, regardless of who is in front of who.

When driving a MoHo or dragging a caravan you lose all rights as you are on holiday. When I’m in the MoHo I make it easy for other road users to make progress after all getting worked up over anything defeats the object.

None of this excuses rudeness and I always wave thanks to anyone who moves over or helps me in anyway.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
corner-co-right-turn-clyde-memes-com-15199053.png

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
Always jumped the queue - sorry but when we get to the trains we are always made to embark last no matter what the weather. Bikes are a great cash cow for the tunnel - they get charged half the price of a car but you can get twelve of them in the space of two cars. Sitting in a car/motorhome in summer heat with the aircon blasting out is very different from sweating your eyeballs out in full bike gear.

Deleted User
Always jumped the queue - sorry but when we get to the trains we are always made to embark last no matter what the weather. Bikes are a great cash cow for the tunnel - they get charged half the price of a car but you can get twelve of them in the space of two cars. Sitting in a car/motorhome in summer heat with the aircon blasting out is very different from sweating your eyeballs out in full bike gear.

Your choice!!........join the queue!

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
On a sunny day and a group of three or more.. should have sat in the queue
Loan biker different story maybe
Raining.. I always give bikers priority .. Nothing worse than sitting still with water running down you neck

OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
just had a belly full of Bikers in general.

As I said, I used to ride a few myself.

We have a Biker family live near us. They use our street as a warm up on Sunday Mornings. No regard for anyone else. Even meet 20 doors down from where he lives. Engines revving and easily 60mph plus in a 20-30 zone. Very Much a screw you attitude.

One died a few years ago, very sad as I knew the family well.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-11544990

But the Majority seem to spoil it for the minority these days. Rather than the other way around.

A friend of a friend lost his son recently in a Motor Cycle Accident "H was a "biker" " was the term, 21 years old.

His friends attended his Funeral doing crazy wheelies and dangerous maneuvers in-front fo and behind his cortege.

TM

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Check this

That was a French jorno who was SUPPOSED to be testing it for a fairly big article.. The guy still works as a bike jorno, but I believe not for the same magazine.. And he is STILL the butt of a lot of pee taking !

ymfb

Free Member
Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
I am happy to overtake and leave the whining behind me, I was thinking that today when in “rush” hour traffic I filtered/overtook a couple hundred vehicles on my way home.

I have no idea why someone driving a MoHo, who by definition is on holiday, would be bothered about it either. Think nice relaxing thoughts, don’t get yourself excited and wound up, it’s bad for you.

I will keep overtaking, you can like it or lump it, but rest assured I’m not listening.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I remember many years ago when I took my bike test, I was shocked that the examiner insisted I had to keep to speed limits. ( even in a 30!) , not weave in and out of traffic on motorways or overtake by crossing double white lines!

ymfb

Free Member
Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
I remember many years ago when I took my bike test, I was shocked that the examiner insisted I had to keep to speed limits. ( even in a 30!) , not weave in and out of traffic on motorways or overtake by crossing double white lines!
And that’s still the case, I do not condone crossing double white lines, but I see cars and vans do it. You might need to consider weaving in and out, filtering in the UK is absolutely legal, there are plenty of tips on how it should be done and advanced motorcyclists are trained to do it and in fact if you don’t and it is safe to do it, you will be marked down by the examiner who is or was a police motorcyclist.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
And that’s still the case, I do not condone crossing double white lines, but I see cars and vans do it.

I often cross a solid white line. But only if there’s an adjacent broken line white line that I have to cross first!

Yes, I agree, crossing a solid white is a big NO NO! There are many ‘rules’ that I’d be prepared to ignore/break, but that’s not one of them.

Ian

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
And that’s still the case, I do not condone crossing double white lines, but I see cars and vans do it. You might need to consider weaving in and out, filtering in the UK is absolutely legal, there are plenty of tips on how it should be done and advanced motorcyclists are trained to do it and in fact if you don’t and it is safe to do it, you will be marked down by the examiner who is or was a police motorcyclist.
Filtering is fine and is well defined in the Highway code and recommended by the IAM, but only at speeds of 15-20mph, the IAM does not recommend this practice over those speeds.
I was talking about the practice of weaving in and out of traffic at high speeds, which is dangerous.
As an ex police Advanced ( grade 1 ) car and motorcyclist (and instructor), I stopped many motorcyclists on motorways and dual carriageways that thought it was appropriate and safe to “filter” in and out of traffic at high speed.

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
It ought to be pointed out that some of us ride air cooled motorcycles that get very hot sat ticking over in ques, over heating the engine and the oil as well as burning your legs .

if you continue start stop the engine you will then have a flat battery there is the other bit about the weight of the bike, mine is 440 kg unladen with myself the wife and camping gear / luggage it weighs in at maybe 700 kg, try holding that up or manoeuvring it about .

I have been forced to sit on the bike in blazing hot sunshine slowly melting and getting heat stroke inside my Leathers or getting wetter and colder sat in the pouring rain while all the tin cans get loaded up ...

Strangely our EU friends are more sympathetic to 2 wheel travellers than the UK ...

Just look at the big picture while you are sat nice and chilled out in your motor home .

Deleted User
It ought to be pointed out that some of us ride air cooled motorcycles that get very hot sat ticking over in ques, over heating the engine and the oil as well as burning your legs .

if you continue start stop the engine you will then have a flat battery there is the other bit about the weight of the bike, mine is 440 kg unladen with myself the wife and camping gear / luggage it weighs in at maybe 700 kg, try holding that up or manoeuvring it about .

I have been forced to sit on the bike in blazing hot sunshine slowly melting and getting heat stroke inside my Leathers or getting wetter and colder sat in the pouring rain while all the tin cans get loaded up ...

Strangely our EU friends are more sympathetic to 2 wheel travellers than the UK ...

Just look at the big picture while you are sat nice and chilled out in your motor home .

As I said earlier it is your choice!

I do not think many people would object to a single motorcycle jumping the queue in the circumstances that you describe but my experience is that motorcycles invariably arrive in groups and then block the lane for some time while they disrobe etc to find passports documents etc.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back