Bikers not wanted at Winterton, Norfolk (1 Viewer)

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
Wife out for the day yesterday, ha I thought, time for a bike ride, took one of my bikes out around the coast, ended up at Winterton, near Hemsby, fancied a cuppa at the cafe at what’s left of the dunes, thought I would park in the car park, was told by the attendant in the kiosk, no bikers on here, not allowed, so I asked why, he replied that they had trouble with bikers in the past.
So don’t go to Winterton on a motorcycle and expect to park on the car park, unless you’re in a car that is!

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Wife out for the day yesterday, ha I thought, time for a bike ride, took one of my bikes out around the coast, ended up at Winterton, near Hemsby, fancied a cuppa at the cafe at what’s left of the dunes, thought I would park in the car park, was told by the attendant in the kiosk, no bikers on here, not allowed, so I asked why, he replied that they had trouble with bikers in the past.
So don’t go to Winterton on a motorcycle and expect to park on the car park, unless you’re in a car that is!

If someone in a car starts causing trouble he's in for a quiet time.

ymfb

Free Member
Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
Clearly doesn’t need the trade and won’t get mine either as I’m a biker who sometimes uses a car or MoHo.

I don’t go to petrol stations that won’t let bikers fuel up with their helmets on either, I had a discussion with a garage attendant in Marlborough on this subject who claimed it was Thames Valley Police policy and when asked how they managed with lady Muslims wearing head dress, she replied we don’t have any of those in Marlborough.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Clearly doesn’t need the trade and won’t get mine either as I’m a biker who sometimes uses a car or MoHo.

I don’t go to petrol stations that won’t let bikers fuel up with their helmets on either, I had a discussion with a garage attendant in Marlborough on this subject who claimed it was Thames Valley Police policy and when asked how they managed with lady Muslims wearing head dress, she replied we don’t have any of those in Marlborough.

What possible objection could there be to removing a helmet in a petrol station or any other commercial premises for that matter. Surely it’s so people can be seen on security CCTV if your have nothing to hide what’s the problem.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
What possible objection could there be to removing a helmet in a petrol station or any other commercial premises for that matter. Surely it’s so people can be seen on security CCTV if your have nothing to hide what’s the problem.
If it’s winter and you’re fingers are frozen it’s hard to undo the strap and do it back up again.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie

I’m guessing you don’t ride a bike?

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
When the other half used to commute on a bike I would buy a few gallon of petrol and fill the bike up at home to save her this exact problem.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
whats wrong with one bike if you pay for a car park space?

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
We were having an evening in a local pub when a couple came in dressed in leathers, at the bar they were told sorry we don't serve bikers in here.
They left without a question, later I asked the manager about why the couple left, oh we don't want their sort in here he replied, I smiled and told him actually my wife and I were bikers but tonight we drove in our car.
I also pointed out that the couple had left the car park on a £22k + motorcycle.
Hardly rowdy trouble makers.
We never went back there.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
No I don't and I do understand and sympathise with the problem of cold fingers etc but I think the safety and security of staff and other customers if far more important.

Why would I be a danger to the staff and other customers?
In the same regard you are saying a woman wearing a Berkha is a security risk then.

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
whats wrong with one bike if you pay for a car park space?

i think its a jobsworth situation. I was refused entry in my motorhome and so haven't been back although I did point out to the attendant that me, the wife and our poodle didn't look like we were of the travelling fraternity and gave a solemn undertaking to be gone by 5pm that day. However, there was no compromise possible.

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
No I don't and I do understand and sympathise with the problem of cold fingers etc but I think the safety and security of staff and other customers if far more important.
So by that logic, for the purposes of safety and security, you want the removal of all facial coverings to be mandated in all commercial and/or public places?

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
So every one wearing a motorcycle helmet is going to rob and beat them up . What if a Muslim comes in wearing a rucksack are they going to ban them?.

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Why would I be a danger to the staff and other customers?
In the same regard you are saying a woman wearing a Berkha a security risk then.

How would anyone know if your face cannot be seen. The point is a robber, or anyone else intending to commit crime, perhaps a drive off, would not want their face to be seen would they, therefore the knowledge that they can be identified on CCTV must be an effective preventative measure,

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
How would anyone know if your face cannot be seen. The point is a robber, or anyone else intending to commit crime, perhaps a drive off, would not want their face to be seen would they, therefore the knowledge that they can be identified on CCTV must be an effective preventative measure,
What are the motorcycle crime statistics in this country which warrant and justify such? May be interesting to compare that with those wearing hoodies etc.

The moped crime being perpetrated in the likes of London is not comparable with those who ride motorcycles for commuting or pleasure, they are in the main no more likely to rob or assault than the average car driver.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
When on bike I wear a flip front helmet , I have never taken it off ,just open the front , I have never been asked to remove helmet
..............so far . I am not sure if I would state that my religious beliefs require me to wear it at all times in public if requested to remove?

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie

I pull my visor up so most of my face can be seen.

I’ll lay odds there are far more drunk be off non payers in cars, hardly worth doing a runner for £15 is it?

You’ll probably find a robber is more likely to be wearing a baseball cap pulled down to obscure their face.

What about the Berkha then are you saying that must be removed. I would like to see it banned but that’s for another thread.

Some would call me a right royal p I t a, I like to think of myself as assertive :)
This is one of the reasons my helmet stays on.
Level the playing field and we can all go from there :)

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
So every one wearing a motorcycle helmet is going to rob and beat them up . What if a Muslim comes in wearing a rucksack are they going to ban them?.

Of course not, and that was never suggested. it is simply a matter of crime prevention what's the problem with preventing it. Muslims with rucksacks is an entirely different question which many may have an opinion on but its not one I want to discuss. I am talking about the simple matter of cash helmets and similar face covering in petrol stations and commercial premises.

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I pull my visor up so most of my face can be seen.

I’ll lay odds there are far more drunk be off non payers in cars, hardly worth doing a runner for £15 is it?

You’ll probably find a robber is more likely to be wearing a baseball cap pulled down to obscure their face.

What about the Berkha then are you saying that must be removed. I would like to see it banned but that’s for another thread.

Some would call me a right royal p I t a, I like to think of myself as assertive :)
This is one of the reasons my helmet stays on.
Level the playing field and we can all go from there :)

I think if your face can be seen thats perfectly acceptable, as for the Burkha I personally think it be banned in the UK as it is in some other European countries. But thats another thread as you say.

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Of course not, and that was never suggested. it is simply a matter of crime prevention what's the problem with preventing it. Muslims with rucksacks is an entirely different question which many may have an opinion on but its not one I want to discuss. I am talking about the simple matter of cash helmets and similar face covering in petrol stations and commercial premises.

What are the statistics for petrol station related crime involving motorcycle helmet wearing perpetrators? Is there a need for such measures, as you claim, based on confirmed incidents/data?

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I just don’t see how you can pick on one group because you think they are a danger but others are ok . Personally I think the odds are very slim on both groups.

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
I wonder how many cars drive off with out paying compared to bikes.
Based on the relatively small fuel tank size on a motorcycle compared to cars etc, coupled with the prevalence of CCTV, ANPR etc, the small financial gain by way of risk/reward does not make it worthwhile in my opinion.

Cue stories of criminal motorcycle gangs...

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
What are the statistics for petrol station related crime involving motorcycle helmet wearing perpetrators? Is there a need for such measures, as you claim, based on confirmed incidents/data?

No idea, does it matter, we are talking about a minor inconvenience if the helmet has to be taken off but non at all if a visor can be raised.

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I just don’t see how you can pick on one group because you think they are a danger but others are ok . Personally I think the odds are very slim on both groups.

Not picking on any group just stating an obvious crime prevention matter. I would say masked robbers and kids with hoodies and face masks should uncover too. especially in banks jewellery shops and similar.

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
No idea, does it matter, we are talking about a minor inconvenience if the helmet has to be taken off but non at all if a visor can be raised.
Yes, I do think it matters, as you appear to be assuming all crash helmet wearing motorcyclists are by default potential criminals from whom you should be kept safe.

From my perspective, having commuted by motorcycle pretty much all year round for decades, removal of the helmet to get fuel is a PITA. A crash helmet is not out of place being worn in a petrol station, but I agree that is not the case in a bank or other unrelated commercial premise.

Last time I checked, I’ve never ridden off without paying, not robbed anyone, not assaulted anyone or been involved in a criminal act whilst wearing a crash helmet, other than perhaps riding somewhat too briskly at times... :whistle:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back