Bike theft uk (1 Viewer)

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
I have read many threads on bike thefts on french aires but this is hard to believe but it’s true I was there . As we where parked up in the lanes waiting to book in at Portsmouth docks yesterday a bloke came over talking to me as he had a similar motorhome , he left after 10 mins . We proceeded through the checking booths and into the lanes for the maritime security checks as my new friend did . After a few hours of waiting we heard a bit of commotion but thought nothing of it but it turns out that 3 scum bags came into the supposed secure area and stole two electric bikes off the back of their van . It took seconds according to the elderly couple that watched and sounded their horn to try and attract attention to no avail 🤷‍♂️. The security men this was the third time in the last few weeks so be vigilant when you are there .

Wingingit#1

Free Member
Dec 13, 2022
Funster No
MH
Adria
Always, always, always makes sure everything is locked up as well as you can .
Scumbags are everywhere! ...admittedly you assume the check-in line would be as secure as anywhere if not more so .
Shocking to hear that nothing is done to ensure this doesnt happen to the next person ..

Aug 17, 2022
Middlesbrough, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Supersonic 890
Exp
Nothing is safe these days especially high value items like ebikes!! It's the way this world is now, shocking. Many threads on here of people sleeping in Aires and leaving doors open overnight. The amount of scum hanging around ports etc, probably highest risk areas. Even worse in calais

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wingingit#1

Free Member
Dec 13, 2022
Funster No
MH
Adria
We had so many bikes stolen from bike racks in the new forest one year (while people slept) that the local plod were recommending these simply to make you aware it was happening.
Then it was down to you to chase the robbin,thieving, scum bags to catch the ****ers before beating them to pulp! :mad:

Apr 9, 2022
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 1984
Thanks for the warning. It's shocking to think of the thefts taking place in plain view of others waiting in the ferry queue. We have a decent garage but it's always full of other stuff so the bikes have to go on the rack. They are always chained to the rack then covered so it's not obvious what sort of bikes they are. Batteries are kept inside the van and the computer/controllers removed & hidden inside.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
On Cannock Chase there have been several thefts of expensive e bikes on the trails. They either push the solo rider off and grab it and run, or feign injury so you stop to help and again they then pinch your bike.

Only way round it has been to ensure you are riding in a group.

Wish there was a severe sentence and more resource to catch the scum.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I have read many threads on bike thefts on french aires but this is hard to believe but it’s true I was there . As we where parked up in the lanes waiting to book in at Portsmouth docks yesterday a bloke came over talking to me as he had a similar motorhome , he left after 10 mins . We proceeded through the checking booths and into the lanes for the maritime security checks as my new friend did . After a few hours of waiting we heard a bit of commotion but thought nothing of it but it turns out that 3 scum bags came into the supposed secure area and stole two electric bikes off the back of their van . It took seconds according to the elderly couple that watched and sounded their horn to try and attract attention to no avail 🤷‍♂️. The security men this was the third time in the last few weeks so be vigilant when you are there .
This was already mentioned by Keith, Brassed Off , on the morning thread boxing day ,who was also in the queue

Jan 4, 2020
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
Early December 22, one of the Portsmouth Security staff offered that the waiting zone was overlooked by a nearby block of flats where the culprits lived and warned that bike theft from racks from the parking area was increasing.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Vanbitz provided an alarm loop that we weave through our bikes on the rack. we also have locking clamps.

You can only do so much to prevent theft, but basic precautions are sensible.
Do you need to have the alarm set for the loop to work? I assume waiting to board the ferry they would not have it on?

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Do you need to have the alarm set for the loop to work? I assume waiting to board the ferry they would not have it on?
Yes, the alarm must be set but, as you can switch off internal sensors, it could still be activated.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Yes, the alarm must be set but, as you can switch off internal sensors, it could still be activated.
Unlikely anyone would set it then unless parked up for the night plus if you are like us then you would forget it was set and open the door to go out and set it off accidentally 😀

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
If they weren't put off by the couple behind sounding their horn I don't think an alarm going off is going to make any difference. Given how quickly they seem to have removed the bikes you have to wonder if having £8k worth of e bike on the back was a very good idea. I must admit I hadn't thought of them being nicked when the MH was being driven.

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
I wonder if e-bikes are actually safer on the continent?
There are a lot more e-bikes sold over there and so are less of a novelty and perhaps less of an attraction.
That said, we cant afford to change our van to one with a garage just to cater for bikes. But we do have Vanbitz alarm loop and a range of locks of different types.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
If I were in a ferry queue and warned about bike theft, I would alarm my Growler motorhome alarm system in night mode meaning the we’d be ignored inside but the bikes would be alarmed with the security loop and the lockers would detect anyone trying to open them to hide in or steal from.

It’s as easy as pressing a button on a key fob so hardly onerous

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
If I were in a ferry queue and warned about bike theft, I would alarm my Growler motorhome alarm system in night mode meaning the we’d be ignored inside but the bikes would be alarmed with the security loop and the lockers would detect anyone trying to open them to hide in or steal from.

But if they weren't deterred by the car behind seeing them nick the bikes and sounding their horn how would an "armed growler" help!. In that situation the only thing that would is mechanical locks. It could well be the motorhomer didn't have as much physical security as the bikes were alarmed

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
But if they weren't deterred by the car behind seeing them nick the bikes and sounding their horn how would an "armed growler" help!. In that situation the only thing that would is mechanical locks. It could well be the motorhomer didn't have as much physical security as the bikes were alarmed
Because I’d be sat in the camper, the Growler system is very loud and I’d hear it, and being pre warned I’d have my fire extinguisher ready.

Simple steps, one pull pin, two, deploy in faces of people attacking me and my family (aiming generally for their eyes) Step three swing empty metal cylinder towards to shitheads, (aiming generally at the heads) Step four, repeat if necessary with second prepared fire extinguisher passed to me by my wife.

Step five both tell the authorities we smelt smoke at the back of the van when we were attacked!

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
Pompey has quite a reputation for bike thefts. There's a lot of students need bikes and plenty of local re-cyclers (geddit) to service the demand . . .

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019

Just wondering if the "growler" was named before the slang term emerged? x:-)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back