Bike Stand Recommendations for e-Bike (1 Viewer)

Jul 14, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Our 1st Motorhome
Hi there,

Please would anyone be able to recommend a bike stand for use with a “step through” design e-bike (25kg)?

I‘m looking for a stand to use to secure the bike for cleaning, and changing tyres etc. The ones I’ve had a look at online appear to rely on suspending the bike via the cross-bar, which the bike doesn’t have.

For info, here’s a photo of the bike (Cube Kathmandu). Any advice as always will be very gratefully received! :giggle:

B76DBFDA-F383-410A-9BE5-3F7E1EAB8CAD.jpeg

Apr 19, 2018
Funster No
You will probably need someone to help you, though, because of the weight of the bike. Picking that up with one hand while you clamp it will be too difficult.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
If you doing jobs on it in the garage could use a ratchet strap over a roof joist and the on to seat and handle bars.

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
We have one from aldi or lidl can't remember where, it clamps to the seat tube.

Westbarn1

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 25, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC-T 600
Exp
A Park tools stand would do it, and clamp onto the upper part of your down tube, could add a picture of mine to illustrate tomorrow, if it would help.

Aerialmark

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 13, 2018
Burnley
Funster No
MH
Knaus/Weinsburgh
Exp
I'm new to it
I bought one from Halfords and it does the job well. Its called a
https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjbuJD7zcHtAhVigFAGHV-gBZkYABAFGgJkZw&ohost=www.google.co.uk&cid=CAESQeD2PAfUOilh96zTLYd4RNAippt-mG0iWSyJinBB2siKMy7V5VQsGNKkG5RaaJpVfDBgVCY9BRHSXhuw5taexljQ&sig=AOD64_1Ej_JO9Fb8ep1dBTFk2cJWTTE7tQ&ctype=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwj1o4f7zcHtAhWCRBUIHWcLBWgQ9aACegQIHhBJ&adurl=

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I bought this and it does the job well.Its called a XLC Unistage.<Broken link removed><Broken link removed><Broken link removed>

I agree with that as i have one but you cant do the stuff that needs the bike off its wheels...

Aerialmark

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 13, 2018
Burnley
Funster No
MH
Knaus/Weinsburgh
Exp
I'm new to it
Also March Hare i just read your post about having punctures, try these (You may need to get them fitted or you can do it yourself ) I have had a version of these fitted from new and not had one puncture !
https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjs56blz8HtAhXj6O0KHflWBeIYABAEGgJkZw&ohost=www.google.co.uk&cid=CAESQeD2ouaZuvRCjbGUpLabIbK_W_MSFhA6uuLH2jdfpkdUMQXisdZB3d5PQR3cob2_wwO5nD_XpaEd1MjGgaXWvNmO&sig=AOD64_3MZTLLyfIRH43f0GrqhQ2st41N0w&ctype=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwj3y57lz8HtAhVsRxUIHZGjDZ8Q9aACegQIExBU&adurl=
Even on terrain like this ! I do fall off though (It don't help with that unfortunately :LOL: )
36A857DE-2458-4129-B792-D36D61033C28.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
March Hare
Jul 14, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Our 1st Motorhome
Park Tools PCS-10.2 will probably cope.
You need to raise the saddle a little and then clamp the seat post.

You will probably need someone to help you, though, because of the weight of the bike. Picking that up with one hand while you clamp it will be too difficult.

Hi K&C! Thanks very much for your replies! 😊 I will certainly look up the Park Tools stand - thanks for the recommendation. I agree that I will need OH to help lift the bike onto any stand, because the bike is really quite heavy.

Ref attaching via the seat post, my only concern would be that the heavy 625 battery would cause the bike to tip forward and over balance - but I could always remove the battery for when I’m going to use the stand. I guess it will be a bit of trial and error!

Thanks again! 😊

OP
OP
March Hare
Jul 14, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Our 1st Motorhome
If you doing jobs on it in the garage could use a ratchet strap over a roof joist and the on to seat and handle bars.

Hi Manic, thanks for your reply earlier - and for your suggestion! 😊 Funnily enough, when I was searching for the Park Tools stand as recommended by Ken & Carol, a “GearUp Up-and-Away Bike Hoist” came up in the results. This is along the same lines to your idea which is not something I’d thought of tbh. The stand would be for use in the garage so we could fit it to the roof joists. It does say that it can be used for storing the bike, but also for raising it off the floor for maintenance / cleaning. Thanks again!

OP
OP
March Hare
Jul 14, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Our 1st Motorhome
How about a false crossbar and a conventional stand?
Hi Chipster, thanks very much for your reply! Fitting a false crossbar is not an option I’d thought of, so thanks for the suggestion! Can I just check please, would I temporarily fit the crossbar to use a bike stand - do you know if they are they fairly straightforward to fit and remove? Thanks again 😊

OP
OP
March Hare
Jul 14, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Our 1st Motorhome
We have one from aldi or lidl can't remember where, it clamps to the seat tube.
Hi Wh05apk! Thanks for your reply! A friend has one of the Aldi bike stands, which he is really pleased with - unfortunately it looks like Aldi have had their cycling offers quite recently so it could be a while before they’re in store again (and they’re not available online), but I’ll certainly keep my eye out for their Ad’s. Thanks again! 😊

OP
OP
March Hare
Jul 14, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Our 1st Motorhome
A Park tools stand would do it, and clamp onto the upper part of your down tube, could add a picture of mine to illustrate tomorrow, if it would help.
Hi Westbarn1! Thanks very much for your reply, and recommendation for the Park Tools stand! 😊 I’ve just been researching the Park Tools PCS-10.2 stand, as recommended by Ken & Carol, above. Is this the same model you have please - they have a big selection? I just need to be careful that it can cope with the bike’s weight. Thanks again. 😊

OP
OP
March Hare
Jul 14, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Our 1st Motorhome
I bought one from Halfords and it does the job well. Its called a
https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjbuJD7zcHtAhVigFAGHV-gBZkYABAFGgJkZw&ohost=www.google.co.uk&cid=CAESQeD2PAfUOilh96zTLYd4RNAippt-mG0iWSyJinBB2siKMy7V5VQsGNKkG5RaaJpVfDBgVCY9BRHSXhuw5taexljQ&sig=AOD64_1Ej_JO9Fb8ep1dBTFk2cJWTTE7tQ&ctype=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwj1o4f7zcHtAhWCRBUIHWcLBWgQ9aACegQIHhBJ&adurl=

Hi Aerialmark, Thanks for your reply, and recommendation for the Halfords bike stand. I’ve just had a quick look online and there it gets very good reviews. I’ll be passing a Halfords store tomorrow so will stop by and take a look at the stand. 😊

Also March Hare i just read your post about having punctures, try these (You may need to get them fitted or you can do it yourself ) I have had a version of these fitted from new and not had one puncture !
https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjs56blz8HtAhXj6O0KHflWBeIYABAEGgJkZw&ohost=www.google.co.uk&cid=CAESQeD2ouaZuvRCjbGUpLabIbK_W_MSFhA6uuLH2jdfpkdUMQXisdZB3d5PQR3cob2_wwO5nD_XpaEd1MjGgaXWvNmO&sig=AOD64_3MZTLLyfIRH43f0GrqhQ2st41N0w&ctype=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwj3y57lz8HtAhVsRxUIHZGjDZ8Q9aACegQIExBU&adurl=
Even on terrain like this ! I do fall off though (It don't help with that unfortunately :LOL: )View attachment 447485
Thanks very much for the info ref the Zefal tyre liners! Funnily enough, I’ve just received a set today that I bought online - I ordered the blue ones which I hope will be the correct size for my new supposed puncture resistant tyres (Schwalbe Marathon e-Plus’s). Unfortunately I’ve had further hawthorn thorn punctures since having the new tyres fitted, so have also had Slime added to the tubes.

The Zefal tyre liners are the next thing to try, so I’m keeping my fingers crossed that they will be a better defence against the hawthorn hedge cutting! Do you use the tyre liners with Slime tubes - I’m wondering whether I’d be better to try the tyre liners with non-Slime tubes.

At least I have had lots of practice changing inner tubes! 🚴‍♀️

OP
OP
March Hare
Jul 14, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Our 1st Motorhome
I agree with that as i have one but you cant do the stuff that needs the bike off its wheels...
Hi Phil, thanks for your comments - I did take a look at the XLC Unistage earlier, but as you say it unfortunately wouldn’t allow me to remove the wheels - something I’m having to do quite often at the moment to sort out all the punctures I’m getting! 🙁 Thanks again!

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Hi Phil, thanks for your comments - I did take a look at the XLC Unistage earlier, but as you say it unfortunately wouldn’t allow me to remove the wheels - something I’m having to do quite often at the moment to sort out all the punctures I’m getting! 🙁 Thanks again!
If your removing the front wheel you don't really need a stand, just undo the axle nuts, lift the bike slightly and remove the wheel. You can then rest the front of the bike down on the front of the forks.
For the rear wheel, if you want to use a stand, clamp it to the seatpost and allow the front wheel to rest on the floor. That's what I do.👍

Aerialmark

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 13, 2018
Burnley
Funster No
MH
Knaus/Weinsburgh
Exp
I'm new to it
Hi Aerialmark, Thanks for your reply, and recommendation for the Halfords bike stand. I’ve just had a quick look online and there it gets very good reviews. I’ll be passing a Halfords store tomorrow so will stop by and take a look at the stand. 😊

Thanks very much for the info ref the Zefal tyre liners! Funnily enough, I’ve just received a set today that I bought online - I ordered the blue ones which I hope will be the correct size for my new supposed puncture resistant tyres (Schwalbe Marathon e-Plus’s). Unfortunately I’ve had further hawthorn thorn punctures since having the new tyres fitted, so have also had Slime added to the tubes.

The Zefal tyre liners are the next thing to try, so I’m keeping my fingers crossed that they will be a better defence against the hawthorn hedge cutting! Do you use the tyre liners with Slime tubes - I’m wondering whether I’d be better to try the tyre liners with non-Slime tubes.

At least I have had lots of practice changing inner tubes! 🚴‍♀️
Hi, yes just try bog standard tubes in and see how you go I use Schwalbe Magic Mary,s with the snake skin and reinforced walls. I do some fairly extreme terrain and they are always ok. The only trouble is they wear quite quickly. By the way I too have a Cube bike. Mine is a 2020 Stereo 140 race.
5B44CF3F-7F98-42BC-BF34-E23040772296.jpeg

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Hi, yes just try bog standard tubes in and see how you go I use Schwalbe Magic Mary,s with the snake skin and reinforced walls. I do some fairly extreme terrain and they are always ok. The only trouble is they wear quite quickly. By the way I too have a Cube bike. Mine is a 2020 Stereo 140 race.View attachment 447526

Is that frame Carbon if so is it wise to clamp the frame there?

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
We have 2 Cube Kathmandu's a standard men's frame and a step through same as the op's and just use the standard clamp workshop stand, the mens clamps on the top tube, and the step through on the seat tube.

Aerialmark

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 13, 2018
Burnley
Funster No
MH
Knaus/Weinsburgh
Exp
I'm new to it
Is that frame Carbon if so is it wise to clamp the frame there?
Yes you are right. My friend also pointed that out to me and I now clamp it with the seat post. Thankyou for also telling me (y)

OP
OP
March Hare
Jul 14, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Our 1st Motorhome
If your removing the front wheel you don't really need a stand, just undo the axle nuts, lift the bike slightly and remove the wheel. You can then rest the front of the bike down on the front of the forks.
For the rear wheel, if you want to use a stand, clamp it to the seatpost and allow the front wheel to rest on the floor. That's what I do.👍

Hi Itsmcb! Really sorry for such a late reply, but thanks very much for your helpful advice! I will struggle to lift the bike on my own - it's really a two-person lift with the battery in it, so leaving the front wheel on the ground whilst lifting the rear wheel onto the stand will hopefully allow me to do that on my own. Thanks again! :giggle: 🚴‍♀️

OP
OP
March Hare
Jul 14, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Our 1st Motorhome
Hi, yes just try bog standard tubes in and see how you go I use Schwalbe Magic Mary,s with the snake skin and reinforced walls. I do some fairly extreme terrain and they are always ok. The only trouble is they wear quite quickly. By the way I too have a Cube bike. Mine is a 2020 Stereo 140 race.View attachment 447526
Hi Aerialmark! Really sorry for such a late reply, but thanks very much indeed for the info ref the using the Zefal tyre liners. I haven't got around to fitting them yet, but 🤞 the Slime in the inner tubes seems to be doing the trick at the moment, but I'm hoping to get time to fit the tyre liners tomorrow.

Thanks also for the photo - that's a great looking bike - so another Cube, and it sounds like it can cope with some pretty rugged terrain! :giggle: From your earlier post, is that the Halfords Bike Stand that you're using in the photo - it looks excellent as I'm guessing your bike must be around 25kg, same as mine?

I hope you don't mind if I ask another question? I'm guessing that when you get back from your rides, that your bike is pretty muddy - so I was wondering how you clean it - do you use a spray and then cloths, rather than using the hose? The bike technician who did the handover, told me to avoid using a hose (which I can understand), but with the roads being pretty wet and gritty / muddy at the moment, I'm not sure how best to clean it off, whilst avoiding getting water in the electronic bits!! 🚴‍♀️:giggle:

OP
OP
March Hare
Jul 14, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Our 1st Motorhome
We have 2 Cube Kathmandu's a standard men's frame and a step through same as the op's and just use the standard clamp workshop stand, the mens clamps on the top tube, and the step through on the seat tube.

Hi Steve N Tracy! Really sorry for such a late reply, but thanks very much for your post! It's great to hear from fellow Cube Kathmandu owners - and thanks for the advice ref using the seat tube for clamping on the stand, that's excellent news that it works ok! Thanks again :giggle:🚲

OP
OP
March Hare
Jul 14, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Our 1st Motorhome
Parktool 10-2 for my big E Mountain bike. Top kit.
Hi Landy Andy! Really sorry for such a late reply, but thanks very much for your post, and for the recommendation for the Park Tools 10-2, that's really helpful! I'm down to a shortlist of two at the moment - the Park Tools 10-2 and the Halfords Bikehut Stand. Both get good reviews (and recommendations on here), but the Halfords version would leave me with spare £'s to buy some extra inner tubes, and the other bits that I have on my "must have" cycling kit list!! Thanks again! :giggle:🚲

Aerialmark

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 13, 2018
Burnley
Funster No
MH
Knaus/Weinsburgh
Exp
I'm new to it
Hi Aerialmark! Really sorry for such a late reply, but thanks very much indeed for the info ref the using the Zefal tyre liners. I haven't got around to fitting them yet, but 🤞 the Slime in the inner tubes seems to be doing the trick at the moment, but I'm hoping to get time to fit the tyre liners tomorrow.

Thanks also for the photo - that's a great looking bike - so another Cube, and it sounds like it can cope with some pretty rugged terrain! :giggle: From your earlier post, is that the Halfords Bike Stand that you're using in the photo - it looks excellent as I'm guessing your bike must be around 25kg, same as mine?

I hope you don't mind if I ask another question? I'm guessing that when you get back from your rides, that your bike is pretty muddy - so I was wondering how you clean it - do you use a spray and then cloths, rather than using the hose? The bike technician who did the handover, told me to avoid using a hose (which I can understand), but with the roads being pretty wet and gritty / muddy at the moment, I'm not sure how best to clean it off, whilst avoiding getting water in the electronic bits!! 🚴‍♀️:giggle:
Hi MH, I use the hose on the least pressure setting so the mud runs off. Any stubborn mud I give a quick blast but not near the motor. I then wipe it down with a cloth to dry it and then spray the motor, chain and gears with GT85 and leave it overnight.Then day after if time I spray it with Mud off protect and shine and an hour before i use it again i do the chain with Squirt chain lube and let it dry. All is good then to go and mess it up again.
This is me in one of my favourite positions while doing the Gisburn Forest 8 ( Unfortunately I knocked my tooth out on this occasion )
3d212d65-dec5-46df-8bbe-70c3b3854fa6.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back