Bike Security (1 Viewer)

May 23, 2012
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666f
Exp
I used to have a tow ball bike rack so it was easy to put a security chain around the tow bar to the bike. My new van has a van mounted bike rack, how do people secure the bike to the van when using one of these type of rack? I dont mean which alarm system.

Thanks

Feb 28, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Eldiss autoquest 175
Exp
I have a motorbike rope lock that I thread through as many parts of the bike's as poss and the rack, plus a motorbike chain doing the same, in addition I cover the bikes with a good quality cover to make things difficult, to put the cover on I have a plastic set of steps that bungee to the rack, if you want to know the type of steps just ask. What more can you do? Its like anything if they want yours that bad they will have it, I think what I do will make them look for something easier to steal.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
All you can do is lockthem to the bike rack, don't use a too heavy lock as if they want the bikes they will just cut through the bike rack its only thin alloy.

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
For our old bikes we had a couple of fat cable locks through the frames and around the bike rack, with additional U locks if we were leaving them on the van unattended. Probably actually wasn't that secure in reality, but enough to deter an opportunist.

Now we have more expensive ebikes we're planning on a getting a motorcycle chain to put on whilst parked overnight/left unattended. Plus an alarmed cable lock that we'll leave on all the time (its too thin to be properly secure, but they'd probably cut that one first so an alarm going off should at least attract attention). We'll also get a decent cover - more to keep the road grime off them, but it also means its not so obvious that they're worth stealing.

But in the end, if someone wants the bikes bad enough they'll have them - that's what insurance is for :(

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Just ordered this on ebay:

Gets good reviews, also available from UK sellers but double the price. Going to put it in the pannier bags (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Motorcycle chain and.......tip of the day......remove the saddles!

yes, remove saddles before someone else does.. has a saddle nicked on the aire at Stenay ..
quick release saddles are a menace.. as are quick release wheels..

another bike stolen at Capbreton aire.. they cut though heavy motorcycle securing cable during the night.. never heard a thing.. they took my expensive Trek and left two cheaper bikes on the ground.

Reported to local Gendarme, they said the thieves work in gangs, they watch aires during the day and target the best bikes.. then come back at night.
A cordless angle-grinder will cut through just about anything.

if they want it they take it ..

So bought a van with a garage.. and still lock them up , garage door is also alarmed by Strikeback . Also have a 'bike loop' alarm for the rack if ever needed.

OR take old rusty bikes and keep the nice one at home.. it's not what we do as we enjoy road cycling as as sport, so it's more than just for trips to the Boulanger

Last edited:

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Looked on their site could only see alarms.
As part of their alarm system they supply a thin cable with a connector. I thread this through parts of our scoot. If the cable is broken/cut all hell breaks loose as it sets the main alarm off. Other than that I use motorcycle locks.

Nov 10, 2012
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I used good quality bike locks on mine . While in a Calais supermarket someone attempted to remove the bikes from the the bike rack but couldn't .
The reason I found out was that they had removed all the bike ties before realising they couldn't get the bikes. Unfortunately , I didn't discover it until we left the supermarket and my brother law who was travelling behind us stopped us and said the bikes we hanging down from the rack. The bike ties had been left behind. :-(

A quick digression, I had a £800 bike insured with the NFU and the bike was stolen from the house. They refused to pay out stating the bike wasn't locked even though it was in the house!! I went to the ombudsman and won on appeal.

All you can do is lock it with a good quality lock . The amount of bikes I see locked with a thin cheap cable , all you need is a good pair of scissors to cut the cable .

OP
OP
SteveB123
May 23, 2012
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666f
Exp
I am thinking about fitting one of these with a backing plate and a heavy chain through it. Any comments or advice welcome. 109.jpg

Oct 26, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680st
Exp
since 2001
Can buy small battery powered alarms for bykes.
I find the padlock alarms for about a fiver also fit around the headset (handlebar stem), always use it when out n about as they can see the main lock but would not notice these until it makes a right racket, just fit it on when the vehicle is stopped

We also have the Strikeback Growler with bike attachment

Andy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back