Apr 9, 2018
Richmond. N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Devon Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2017
Hi,

I’m planning to spend a couple of months in Europe and am thinking of taking my e-bike. I have a Fiamma rear rack. Is there a significant risk of theft in Europe? I'm looking at chaining the bike to some solid part of the chassis rather than the aluminium rack. Any advice welcome

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Quite a few on here have had their bikes nicked even with a security chain.

Somewhere I have an alarm I knocked up, wire loop through window, round bike. At least I'd know when it was stolen. I'm sure you'll find such a thing on ebay though not a lot of use if you are out of earshot.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
yes, a high risk..

I've had two stolen from the rack.. heavy motorcycle cable was cut through..

battery angle grinder will do the job in no time.. one of the reason I bought a motorhome with a garage..

I suggest fit an alarm.. either stand alone as suggested, or part of the Vanbitz Strikeback alarm that has a bike loop cable to go around anything on the rack

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
I always feel nothing is safe no matter where you are, if someone wants something they will have it. :cry:
You can only be cautious, lock them be careful where you park, and then YouTube that super duper expensive lock you have spent your hard earned cash on, and see them cut your lock off. :eek:
Blimey Spain is full of bandits, but none of them are spanish. :LOL: Bob

OP
OP
Meggers

Meggers

Free Member
Apr 9, 2018
Richmond. N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Devon Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2017
Thanks for the info which confirmed what I expected. I lived on a narrow boat for 6 years and although I was fortunate I know the advent of the battery powered angle grinder has rended most locks useless. I wasn’t planning a lot of cycling so I’ll leave it at home and hire one if I feel the need.

Sep 25, 2009
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2004. Tugger 10 years on and off
Do what a mate did with his power tools getting nicked.He painted them bright pink.Not been nicked since.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
When the bikes are on the rack I remove the pedals, this has deterred at least one thief in Cheshire Oaks.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Remove the battery and pedals....this reduces the get away speed greatly.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Do what a mate did with his power tools getting nicked.He painted them bright pink.Not been nicked since.
.... oooooo ... I like power tools ... and pink ... where does he live? :mask:

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
We carry our two ebikes with the batteries removed on the Fiamma rack (we don't have a garage and can't afford to change the MH right now). Leaving them behind is not an option for us.

We use a full zipped cover (which is pretty awkward to get on/off without a step - even for a tall person), its mostly to keep the bikes clean but as a plus it also means that passers-by don't know they are ebikes. They're always locked to the rack with an alarmed cable lock and when we're stationary we add a heavy motorcycle chain. When we're out and about we use Kryptonite mini U locks.

Supposedly, having two different types of locks (chain + cable) does mean the thieves will need multiple types of tools to release them, but I've no doubt that if someone decides they want them then they'll have them. So we just make sure they are fully insured. They're only bikes after all, so whilst it'll be upsetting and inconvenient if they are stolen in the long run its not the end of the world so long as they can be replaced.

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
On EHU I make a point of threading the power cable through the bike frames. An interruption to the power supply sets off the fridge alarm

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
On EHU I make a point of threading the power cable through the bike frames. An interruption to the power supply sets off the fridge alarm
Like it....great idea...

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Our eBikes are Alarmed.....each bike has a system of a claxon, light and Alarm...it looks like a light but sounds like WW3 has broken out....from China of course....come an touch it, if you dare....

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Our eBikes are Alarmed.....each bike has a system of a claxon, light and Alarm...it looks like a light but sounds like WW3 has broken out....from China of course....come an touch it, if you dare....

A link would be useful, thanks.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Remove the battery from your e-bike. It will reduce the load that the poor old rack must support and, as the battery is peculiar to the bike and expensive if not difficult to obtain, it becomes much less attractive to a thief. Place the battery up front to reduce the weight over the rear axle.

I’m cautious about having too many overt security measures as it may suggest there is something of value being protected. I’d hide bikes and extra locks under an unassuming cover (a posh new one might suggest something similar underneath). Another good deterrent, in my mind, is to keep bikes looking as tatty as possible (no cleaning).

I’ve been told that e-bikes often appear for sale on flea-bay without a battery charger. I think these will almost certainly have been stolen.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back