Free Member
Mar 21, 2021
Halesowen
Funster No
MH
Niesmann Bischoff
Exp
Hi all
No one probably knows the answer to this but I thought I’d try. My wife has a fully electric bike but she can only manage a couple of miles then her backs gone and has to rest mind you that’s normally far enough to a local pub😁 We’ve tried a gel seat and so on but no good, I’ve seen a sort of seat post with suspension but the problem is due to having spina bifilar she is only4’9” and the seat has to be at its lowest, in order to fit one of these posts I will have to cut some of the bike away which could be an expensive mistake the only bonus is because it fit her in both size and purpose we have a second bike in case we could never get hold of one again.
Just wondering if anyone has ever tried one or knows anyone how has and are they ok for people with spinal problems.
Thanks

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
This won’t be a cheap option, a full suspension bike with a decent shock front and rear will transform the ride.

I got a non electric full suspension that cost me 2k and it is like riding on a cushion of air.

Seats and post suspension systems are generally not great and mostly don’t work. The frame will still transfer the bumps through her legs.

Consider also bigger wheels, the 29 inch bikes tend to roll over bumps much better than the smaller wheels.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
jako999

jako999

Free Member
Mar 21, 2021
Halesowen
Funster No
MH
Niesmann Bischoff
Exp
Unfortunately a full suspension bike with bigger wheels is not an option. She can’t pedal at all and her bike has a very small frame so she can touch the floor without getting off the seat, the only way to achieve this is means the bike only has 20” wheels which causes part of the problem.
Thanks anyway👍

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
You won't be able to cut away the top of the frames seat tube as that has the clamp to hold the seat post.

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
How about picking up an old tandem and converting it to electric? Then only one has to pedal!

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Mine has a suspension seat post. There is an adjusting screw that allows you to adjust from nothing to a very likkle. It does take some of the sting out of a bump, but not much. Overall, in your case I think it would be of no value.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Have you considered one of these ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:
A0D4EBBF-9775-4115-BE69-72743F9B91DA.jpeg

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
There are seat posts which at the flick of a lever will drop into the frame seat post and then at a further flick of the lever will return to the preset height I do not know if there is a suspension version available. This might be worth having a look at.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
I can’t help on the seat post but wondered does she ride the bike regularly ? Many people suffer aches and pains after a bike ride (or a walk ) if you don’t ride often.

I know your wife has a medical condition and so this might not be appropriate but gradually building up to riding further by riding shorter distances more regularly might be a solution.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
How about picking up an old tandem and converting it to electric? Then only one has to pedal!
I am just about to sell a foldable electric tandem !

I have the spokes to put in and its as good as new, only done 2-300 kms. Found that it wasnt suitable for us

Oct 9, 2017
Wisbech
Funster No
MH
2007 Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2005
Be aware that a suspension seat post will increase the height of the seat. Unless the existing protrusion of the seat tube is very high, the available amount to be able to cut off is unlikely to achieve a lowered seat.

Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
Suspension seat posts have always been terrible. Don't bother with one. I would maybe look into a full suspension e-bike. There are quite a few with the size that you need, the one here is just an example.

Jul 1, 2016
shropshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since 1969
My wife is 5ft and 1/2inch and always had trouble putting her feet on the floor when stopping. She changed her AS folding bike for Pete's latest creation the folding Trike. Getting on and off is easy. It has a twist and go option. Never any need to put your feet down and the most comfortable saddle she has experienced.
If you are still in the Halesowen area it is easy to go and try one at Pete's in Ryton on Dunsmore 5 miles east of Coventry.
<Broken link removed>
https://www.asbikes.co.uk

Jan at home.JPG

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
A suspension seat post will be better than nothing, but they aren’t great (wife has one on her E Raleigh) and the suspension part, obviously, must be above the frame clamp so will add height above the minimum seat height. Mentioned above is a dropper seat post, where you operate a lever and seat post drops to the frame. These don’t add any softness to the ride, just the ability to remove the seat from the groin area.

Have you dropped the tyre pressures right down? Possibly you could go for fatter tyres and you could fit crush cores inside the tyre to stop pinch punctures and aid the squish

I’m sure you know, but seat height is set with the leg length and the pedals. Not the seat set so you can touch the floor. Although this is something my wife struggles to understand even though when ever she goes to put her foot down she comes forward off the seat and puts her foot down, hence not having a cross bar.

I think the best starter for your wife would be a great fitted seat. I would recommend the ergon
They have a seat selector on their website, and are well regarded in cycling.

Pirahna

Free Member
Aug 20, 2020
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet.
Exp
Since never. I've been a lightweight tent camper for the last 45 years.
Given that you have a very unusual set of criteria for the bike I doubt you'll find a solution off the shelf. My recommendation is to visit someone that can make a bespoke frame.

Feb 14, 2009
Chandlers Ford, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner TD700 H L
Exp
Since 2008
Would one of these work , or does it make saddle too high.... cost about £15 ebay.. we have them as could not find a suspension seat post with extra large diameter post
41LEkwOAXIL._AC_SY580_.jpg

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Are you sure that the problem is with the saddle? I suffer with osteoarthritis and found riding my bike was a no no. My Osteopath asked me to come and see him, and bring my bike. He said the problem is the handlebars they are not high enough. And needed to be nearer to the back thereby straightening my back. Having bought a handlebar extention it solved my back ache when riding. Sold the bike so can’t show any pictures. Hope this helps. (It’s not the one in the classified)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Try a 'big bum saddle' instead of the one she has, they are much comfier than a standard sized gel seat as they spread the 'load' more so no pressure points which can often be the cause of the problem, the first one below is what we bought which is brilliant, the second one has the 'breather' centres if that is preferred:

<Broken link removed>

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
I would think about a visit to a decent, helpful and friendly bike shop. Rule out the basics like the seat being totally wrong (ladies saddles are very different to one for a fella and can cause one to sit awkwardly) then see if they can look at your wives posture on the bike, it can be quite obvious to someone that knows they're way around a bike as to how someone would sit: arms too stretched, pedals too far away etc etc.

Maybe it will just cost you a hours time, and some bike adjustments.

Most suspension features aren't going to solve this from what i'd reading, seat posts with built in suspension offer very little actual give at all.

As a cheap idea why not run the tyre pressure as low as you dare as that will offer some free cushioning. The risk is an odd puncture and wearing out out of tyres a bit quicker. If you can go up a tyre size (with) and go for the full fat bike experience, after all a fat bike is just a rigid framed (hard tail) with bouncy tyres(y)

OP
OP
jako999

jako999

Free Member
Mar 21, 2021
Halesowen
Funster No
MH
Niesmann Bischoff
Exp
Thanks everyone I will look into all your suggestions. As some of you have said we may end up replacing it.

Viv Danks

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 19, 2017
Portskewett
Funster No
MH
Escape 684 & T6.1
Exp
Campervan since 2015 onwards - MH 2017-21
Have you considered a recumbent trike that folds - This is what we got for Anne - has an electric option and has transformed her enjoyment.

https://www.icetrikes.co/products/adventure - not the cheapest but sometimes.........had ours for 7 years now fits in MH and good to go.

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
SandraL has an Azub recumbent folding trike with motor. You sit on a comfy nylon mesh seat. Main unforeseen niggle is you are looking for a smooth path for 3 wheels, not so easy on canal towpaths and similar, on 2 wheels only need space for 1 wheel. Also heavy, offset by motor when riding, but lifting over obstacles etc a bind.
Traffic seems to give a wider berth to recumbents, but still use a flag.
Bonus is they hold their value second hand, but a very small market . And she does ride in comfort.

Jun 21, 2020
Huntingdon ish.... the rundown backwater
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2007
Hi all
No one probably knows the answer to this but I thought I’d try. My wife has a fully electric bike but she can only manage a couple of miles then her backs gone and has to rest mind you that’s normally far enough to a local pub😁 We’ve tried a gel seat and so on but no good, I’ve seen a sort of seat post with suspension but the problem is due to having spina bifilar she is only4’9” and the seat has to be at its lowest, in order to fit one of these posts I will have to cut some of the bike away which could be an expensive mistake the only bonus is because it fit her in both size and purpose we have a second bike in case we could never get hold of one again.
Just wondering if anyone has ever tried one or knows anyone how has and are they ok for people with spinal problems.
Thanks
I'm late to the party on this one....... I guess it depends how bad the spina bifida is....if it is mild and your wife can use an electric bike, maybe the bike is too large for her? but I will leave that to you to decide especially as if your wife needs to rest then its what recovery time does she need, again only you know that....also with saddles you need to make sure the one you have fits the sit bones. I forgot to say that I am in the bike trade but won't be trying to sell you anything, just give you some pointers. The other alternative possibility could be a hand bike, I have several customers with them and many can't walk and they come with easily removable wheels for transport. These guys use the lay down types but there are more upright ones out there. I do hope you can find a solution to this as cycling is a great activity and good for the health ........ Safe Motorhoming

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back