Free Member
Feb 8, 2015
Burnley
Funster No
MH
Majestic 155
Exp
I'm a newbie
To get around we're thinking of getting two bikes and was wondering how safe they will be on bike racks, we haven't chosen our motorhome yet so could look at ones with a garage although we are nearly settled on an eldiss 155, comments on this choice also very much appreciated.

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Hello both and welcome.

I have an Elddis Autoquest 155 (2014 model) from the Marquis dealership, so it has a few more extras than the base model. I am thoroughly delighted with it!

Ask a question about ANY 'van on here and someone will find fault. "Never have one of those if you gave it to me" type comment. It's just a matter of experiences and preferences. All I can say is that for value and facilities, it is right up there with some of the more expensive MH's

I have toured France and gone to Luxembourg, Switzerland and Italy in my 155, so it's had a pretty good trial.

As far a bike racks are concerned, I took two bikes on the above journey and always take them everywhere. My bike isn't particularly light either. As you know, the rear of the van has reinforcing points to take the rack. Providing you use the rack and strapping points properly, the bikes won't fall off! Just cover the saddle with a plastic bag (or use a cover) if you don't want a wet btm when it's been raining!

Any more questions? Just ask away
Regards
James

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Kevingrc

Kevingrc

Free Member
Feb 8, 2015
Burnley
Funster No
MH
Majestic 155
Exp
I'm a newbie
Cheers James,
I didn't know about the reinforced back, I take it you had no problem with security of bikes then. Thanks for the feed back on the MH. We're looking at buying from vehicles 4 leisure they have an endless list of extras and seem best value, we've been to Marquis but they're dearer although a more powerful engine(150 bop) Is 130 OK?
Regards Kevin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Hi Kevin.
I went to Marquis becuase they were doing deals at the time and they are the largest MH dealership in the UK. Funilly enough, they also threw in a Fiamma bike rack as part of the deal (along with an updated radio aerial and a few other goodies).

Yep, most motorhomes have reinforced points at the rear to take racks (assuming they haven't got a tailgate door or other design feature that prevents having a rack fitted)

On the security issue, I just keep them padlocked to the rack when not in use.

My MH is on a Peugeot Boxer chassis and a 130 multijet engine which is quite adequate. It is relatively economical, pulls the two of us along effortlessly, together with all the junk that I carry!

James

Upvote 0

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
My recommendation for anyone planning to buy bikes to hang on the back is to buy the mechanically best but grottiest looking you can find. Good brand but looking old.
You don't want to spend your time worrying if the bikes will be nicked while you're away walking/shopping etc

Upvote 0

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
We have one of Broken Link Removed which wraps around the bike frames and the cycle rack.

Have fun with your new van.

Keith Hart

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
My recommendation for anyone planning to buy bikes to hang on the back is to buy the mechanically best but grottiest looking you can find. Good brand but looking old.
You don't want to spend your time worrying if the bikes will be nicked while you're away walking/shopping etc

That is good advice.. expensive shiny bikes attract the thief like a moth to a candle ..

Despite having heavy motorcycle type security cable and padlock, we have had two expensive mountain bikes stolen from the rack .. the wire was simple cut through , probably using a battery angle grinder.. if they want them... they WILL take them.. make no mistake.

When we reported to the French police they said that thieves target motorhomes looking of bikes.. they also watch for you out riding and follow you back to your site or aire.. then wait until for an opportunity to take..

Also had one snatched outside a Lidl store in Spain while we we in shopping.. my son was standing watching it.. the thief grabbed it and cycled off.. they are brazen..

Also had a saddle stolen while parked outside a shop.. quick release clamps make it easy to adjust the height, but make it easy to nick... same goes for quick release wheels.. replace the levers with nylock nuts.

After all the grief we bought cheap supermarket bikes.. they rusted quickly but never got nicked..

Upvote 0

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
Get cheap bikes and make it difficult for the thieves to get them. We've had no problems - use three sets of cable locks. And if you have a cover too, it makes it more of a hassle.
If you take them shopping then take the locks with you. We've left them outside Lidl, Aldi, Mercadona, Consum, etc and never had anyone take an interest.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Don't go overboard with heavy chains, bike racks are a easy to cut through make the security too strong if they decide to have a go you end up with the rack damaged as well.
I don't see the point of cheap bikes they are not very pleasant to ride so not much point in taking them with you.
Worth investing in a cover out of site etc., if they are in a hurry they will go to the next van where the bikes are on view.
Last van we had medium priced bikes on a rack for six years under a cover never had any problems, well over a grands worth of bikes on the back.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I don't see the point of cheap bikes they are not very pleasant to ride so not much point in taking them with you.

Nor do I, but cheap bikes don't need to be poor quality.. there are plenty of good quality second hand bikes on ebay and elsewhere.

Nothing is more devastating than losing a grands worth of mountain bike.. except when it's a pair that go .. and yes, they were covered.. but as I said.. the thief will watch you out riding, then target you... a plastic cover, chain, whatever, will only deter the opportunist .. the serious thieves work in gangs and come prepared.

we all think it won't happen to us.. and on holiday we tend to let our guard down.. after all we are having a good time and don't want to think about thieves, it spoils the day.. .. but we were not on holiday, at that time we full time, and security was second nature .. but it happens to the best of us.. and if the cheap bikes are nicked.. no big deal.

All I'm saying is, if you take expensive bikes you are increasing the theft risk.. and of course, if stolen the cost of replacing.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

The bike thieves go mainly for E Bikes now......BUSBY.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Nor do I, but cheap bikes don't need to be poor quality.. there are plenty of good quality second hand bikes on ebay and elsewhere.

Nothing is more devastating than losing a grands worth of mountain bike.. except when it's a pair that go .. and yes, they were covered.. but as I said.. the thief will watch you out riding, then target you... a plastic cover, chain, whatever, will only deter the opportunist .. the serious thieves work in gangs and come prepared.

we all think it won't happen to us.. and on holiday we tend to let our guard down.. after all we are having a good time and don't want to think about thieves, it spoils the day.. .. but we were not on holiday, at that time we full time, and security was second nature .. but it happens to the best of us.. and if the cheap bikes are nicked.. no big deal.

All I'm saying is, if you take expensive bikes you are increasing the theft risk.. and of course, if stolen the cost of replacing.

Not saying we wont get robbed but i always lock ours together with two cable locks through front and rear wheels and to railings if there are some..bit of a nuisance sometimes when only popping into a shop for a few minutes but twelve years of travelling Europe and not lost one yet..BUSBY.

Upvote 0
Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
One day I will have to " downsize" and maybe then will have to decide about bikes, racks, scooter trailers, etc. But I always have a garage to hide the bikes away from prying eyes. The downside is too much storage means too much clutter !
Phil

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Our bikes go in the m/h garage on the current van but when they did go on a rack I used to remove the saddles and anything else that was obviously necessary. Obviously you use a couple of locks just to put off a thief but if the tealeaf wants the bike he will take them no matter what you do. My son takes the front wheel (quick release) off his bike when he carries it.

You could also make a sign warning the brakes are inoperative or similar - but make sure they are and repair them before you set off.

Also always, always, always record the serial number on your bike and keep it safe and in more than one place. :)

Upvote 0
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
We have had Brompton Folders for the last 10 years......... best bikes we ever bought :D

We just fold em up and keep them in the back of the van, and when we go shopping just put them in the supermarket trolley or if in a pub or restaurant just put them under the table :) Always safe, no worry about security, and NO UGLY BIKE RACK on the back of the van (y)

HAVE A LOOK HERE :)

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
The Brompton's are great bikes, a friend of mine has one. I was amazed at how light the bike is. My friend uses his every day and travels over 20 miles a day on it but it is starting to show signs of wear after a couple of years of hard daily use.

Upvote 0
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
The Brompton's are great bikes, a friend of mine has one. I was amazed at how light the bike is. My friend uses his every day and travels over 20 miles a day on it but it is starting to show signs of wear after a couple of years of hard daily use.

What? WHAT:eek: Ours look a bit 'weathered' but we have done thousands of miles on them and still on the same chains! So far had two new tyres (one burst) and rebuilt my rear wheel due to buckling after a few spokes broke and I didn't notice :(

Bromptons are evergreen:D

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Remember he does a minimum of 20 miles a day and not all on roads...... the bike is on and off vehicles and gets bounced around in the back of pick-ups and even on occasion on the tines of a tractor lift. The bikes are really for the commuter and not for off roading across fields and the like :)

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
To get around we're thinking of getting two bikes and was wondering how safe they will be on bike racks, we haven't chosen our motorhome yet so could look at ones with a garage although we are nearly settled on an eldiss 155, comments on this choice also very much appreciated.
Hi Kevingrc, welcome to the fun house! :D

A lot of common sense advice has already been given regarding security and the value of bikes to buy, but one thing that NO ONE has mentioned is insurance. With some insurance policies the bikes will NOT be covered for theft on the back of your motorhome, no matter how well they are secured! Many insist that they are locked to an 'immovable object' and a MH does not qualify, despite the size, so make sure you take this into consideration when getting insurance for the MH if you want to include them in that, or if you have them on your home insurance policy. Alternatively just make sure they are less than the policy excess then it doesn't matter!

Upvote 0
Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
If someone is determined to nick them, then they will :( We use cable locks and last autumn we tied Val's bike up outside a restaurant in Windermere. When we came to unlock it, the key wouldn't operate it. We had to leave it and I went back for it the next morning with some pliers and WD40 from the van. It took me about 15 minutes to nibble through the cable, strand by strand and although I got a few funny looks, no one challenged me. I replaced the lock with a similar cable one but hopefully fitted with a more robust lock that won't seize up and if it does, I should be able to nibble through it again with my pliers, something I couldn't do with a U shackle lock.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
If someone is determined to nick them, then they will :( We use cable locks and last autumn we tied Val's bike up outside a restaurant in Windermere. When we came to unlock it, the key wouldn't operate it. We had to leave it and I went back for it the next morning with some pliers and WD40 from the van. It took me about 15 minutes to nibble through the cable, strand by strand and although I got a few funny looks, no one challenged me. I replaced the lock with a similar cable one but hopefully fitted with a more robust lock that won't seize up and if it does, I should be able to nibble through it again with my pliers, something I couldn't do with a U shackle lock.
Never leave them that long unless we are having a drink or bite to eat and we always sit outside in the sun.Can normally see them....BUSBY.

Upvote 0
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
If someone is determined to steal they will. Whatever you do.

We live in the country with oil our only choice for central heating. (No gas nearby). Following a spate of thefts of heating oil, (ours costs about £600 to fill) we fitted a lock to the tank, only to be told by the local Crime Prevention Officer that it would be better to remove it. He said thieves would cut through the tank wall if they wanted to get at the oil and there was a lock fitted.

Having said that we use two fairly heavy duty cables to secure the bikes to the rack, and cover them. You can't really stop the professional thief but there aren't that many about. You do your best to make it difficult for the opportunist.

Enjoy your bikes and motorhome. It is easy to become paranoid about scare stories, just look at the "gassing" threads on here. Or, then again, maybe not!;)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back