Oct 17, 2020
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 120
Exp
1 year
Hi,
I have a 2019 Elddis Accordo 120 and want to get a bike rack fitted for 2 standard mountain bikes.
What are the pros/cons of towbar vs back mounted.
can anyone recommend places to get this done? I live in the West Midlands.
Many thanks and have a good day

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Tow bar ones are lower, makes betting bikes on and off easier but then when not in use you have to store them somewhere.
Back mounted are higher, again harder to get bikes on and off but most fold up when not in use. As long as they are fitted properly will not cause problems with bodywork.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

gradyp

Free Member
Aug 18, 2011
Widnes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Supreme 155
Exp
I've gone the tow-bar way for a couple of reasons
1/ We already had a tow-bar rack we use on the car and it allows us to get our bikes to the storage compound
2/ We have electric bikes which are heavier than normal bikes and I didn't fancy hanging them off the back wall of the van and lifting them up

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
We have a Thule tow bar rack, rated at carrying 44kgs. Our e-bikes are 20kgs each, but I remove the batteries, and quick release seats, saving a bit more weight, and deterring thieves a tiny bit. Not much fun riding an e-bike with no seat or battery. Locked to the carrier, and tow bracket.

Craig

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
We have a Thule tow bar rack, rated at carrying 44kgs. Our e-bikes are 20kgs each, but I remove the batteries, and quick release seats, saving a bit more weight, and deterring thieves a tiny bit. Not much fun riding an e-bike with no seat or battery. Locked to the carrier, and tow bracket.

Craig
I stole an ebike that had had the saddle removed. Started with a Bosch but finished with a BSA ... :LOL:

Steve

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
We’ve got a detachable Swan Neck towbar and there is nothing on the market that will tilt enough for our back doors to open. There is only 35mm from bottom of the door and the top of the tow ball.

We have a Thule 2 bike rack that we will have to take off completely to access the rear of the van.

If you have a normal type towbar you should be able to lower it, and use spacers to give clearance.

Love to have one of those swing arm things, but not at the cost of them.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
cost is considerably different if you not already got the tow bar.

however, if i had a tow bar i would and not towing i would get a tow bar mounted rack.

std mountain bikes are not that heavy i carry 2 on a back mounted rack. it just depends what a back rack sits over when fitted, i.e. it could restrict view or window openning.

Oct 9, 2017
Wisbech
Funster No
MH
2007 Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2005
The weight of a tow bar needs to be considered. Our motorhome had one on when we bought it and as we did not need it I removed it. I think it weighed about 70kg.

Kelsae2

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 9, 2011
kelso,scottish borders
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Get one made that bolts on the chassis. I had one made that detaches when you don’t need it on the van.
Mick Parkinson near Lytham. Excellent job.

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Has anyone seen a tow bar bike rack that uses the tow bar bolts to mount, yet also allows the Toad to be hooked up at the same time? I’ve got no worries with weight issues and when using a tow car, there is little downward hitch load.

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Has anyone seen a tow bar bike rack that uses the tow bar bolts to mount, yet also allows the Toad to be hooked up at the same time? I’ve got no worries with weight issues and when using a tow car, there is little downward hitch load.

Answering my own question with a little more help from Google 😜

Oct 9, 2017
Wisbech
Funster No
MH
2007 Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2005
Answering my own question with a little more help from Google 😜
Wow! Didn’t realise they cost so much (£250) as I’ve got one to sell and was thinking of about £50. It’s a Pendle as the picture but with black uprights instead of orange.

Sep 10, 2020
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autograph 69-2
Exp
Moved over to the Dark Side after 16 yrs tugging.
Yes. A Witter towball mounted carrier. A plate bolts behind the towbar. A pole is inserted and a two armed carrier placed on top. A strap goes through the gap at the top of the boot lid to tension it. The towbar is available for the toad. The carrier can be demountable and stored when not in use. The only issue is the tension strap, but I have used it without when carrying road bikes as the are lighter then ebikes.the may wobble a bit on bad roads. You need to consider towbar download as you noted in your op.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Yes. A Witter towball mounted carrier. A plate bolts behind the towbar. A pole is inserted and a two armed carrier placed on top. A strap goes through the gap at the top of the boot lid to tension it. The towbar is available for the toad. The carrier can be demountable and stored when not in use. The only issue is the tension strap, but I have used it without when carrying road bikes as the are lighter then ebikes.the may wobble a bit on bad roads. You need to consider towbar download as you noted in your op.
I had one, didn't get on with it. As you say the strap is inconvenient and it still wobbles. Maypole is better. IMO 😊

Sep 10, 2020
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autograph 69-2
Exp
Moved over to the Dark Side after 16 yrs tugging.
I had one, didn't get on with it. As you say the strap is inconvenient and it still wobbles. Maypole is better. IMO 😊
This is mine:
witter cycle carrier.jpg

But the strap isn't shown in the image. There would also be no way to connect it the the rear of the Moho as you have no boot lid.
I haven't used the Maybole one so can't comment.
I have also put the bikes inside the vehicle by removing the front wheels and making a 'stand' with a wooden floor plate for the front forks to slot into. the handlebars are rotated 90 degrees to give access to rear. Not ideal, a bit of a faff when arriving on site or taking a halt, but it worked.

Last edited:

gradyp

Free Member
Aug 18, 2011
Widnes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Supreme 155
Exp

I bought this , its for 4 bikes but we only carry 2 but it's rated to 60kgs and our bikes are electric bikes which are around 20kgs each , the good thing is we can move it between car and van,
It's currently reduced in price , I paid the higher price !!!

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
We have a lifting rear mounted bike rack which means no problems carrying bikes whilst also towing anything (bikes we'll above trailer frame). It's a Fiamma and rated at 60kg so easy to load and plenty strong enough for 2 electric bikes.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back