Free Member
Dec 18, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Pioneer Tasman
Exp
New to it
Hi. I'm new to motor homes and keen not to do any damage while fitting bits & pieces! I've bought a Thule bike rack, which requires bolts to be placed right through the wall. I can position one bolt to be on plain inner wall above the sink, but I don't think I have any alternative to placing the other right trough into the shower lining. I worry that tightening the bolt, or tension caused by the weight of the bike, might crack it. Is this likely to cause problems, and can anybody please give me any tips? The van is an Autocruise Pioneer Tasman. Cheers, Andrew

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I don't think I have any alternative to placing the other right trough into the shower lining. I worry that tightening the bolt, or tension caused by the weight of the bike, might crack it. Is this likely to cause problems,

Hi Andrew, in my opinion, it will give problems.. I wouldn't do it..

Rather contact Autocruise for guidance, they may have installed batons in the wall to support a bike rack.. ask if your rack is suitable or if they advise fitting a specific model..

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
I know nothing about fitting bike racks, but I would check that by fitting it yourself, you're not potentially invalidating your habitation warranty. I'm only familiar with Hymer warranty conditions, which require items such as bike racks to be fitted by a Hymer authorised dealer.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I contacted Burstner when I fitted my bike rack, they sent me a diagram showing the locations of the strengthening batons in the back wall. I offset the rack slightly to one side to avoid putting bolts in the shower area and adjusted the wheel troughs to centralise the bikes, which is ok as long as they don't overhang too far from the wall brackets.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I had a 4 bike rack damage a wall, but it was carrying 5 bikes, albeit two of them were toddlers bikes. Since then though I swore I'd never have another and have always opted for a towbar and a towbar fitting bike rack. There are some nice options with these now and far safer than drilling holes through van walls.

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
I had mine fitted by a dealer if you make a mistake is could cost you thousands

OP
OP
Andrew Borders

Andrew Borders

Free Member
Dec 18, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Pioneer Tasman
Exp
New to it
Thanks to all of you for your helpful comments and advice. You have left me in no doubt that I shouldn't fit the bike rack myself!!

Thanks again

Andrew

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Fitted ours myself but we already hed the bars on the back wall so a piece of cake wouldn't fancy getting the drill out!!

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Another advocate of towball mounted racks. Not least because they are low down and a lot easier to load.

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
Another vote for towball, I would rather keep the weight and stresses where they are meant to be. On the chassis and wheels

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
A vote for the American system of a chassis mounted 2" square socket, into which all sorts of stuff can be connected. Tow balls, bike racks, disabilty scooter carriers etc. Mine can carry a max weight of 500lbs, some are 1000lbs.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back