Bike maintenance book (1 Viewer)

Nov 28, 2018
Edzell Scotland.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Hi, I am looking for a good book or download for general diy maintenance for road bikes, ie with straight forward diagrams and information for a relative newbie to road cycling, been cycling on and off for about a year and a half now and would like to learn and repair more myself. Thanks in advance for any input.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Something like this?

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
ill second Spriddler suggestion above for a basic book to get you started.. as long as you realise it may not contain some of the very latest advances in the bike world..its a good place to start .
Andy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Peskyrabbitt
Nov 28, 2018
Edzell Scotland.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Something like this?

Yes exactly like that, thanks.

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Something like this?

75% of that won't apply to road bike maintenance. Apart from lubrication, fixing punctures and changing brake blocks very occasionally there's not a lot to maintain on a modern road bike.

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Park tool videos are good.

Zinn books are excellent.

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjL1-Of8ojyAhUQuu0KHWAUB-MYABAHGgJkZw&ae=2&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAESQOD2x6CYw4-FJC86b2PCjpoLdBtCETjWCd-om1sPIQSM6KZfGpi_qnfdAiAE6IiHI_1ZGDQgbd2xt0snfVbO0CA&sig=AOD64_3_lKbKonv-7I8EcC-csfEHw7q7xA&ctype=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwj7iNyf8ojyAhWaVBUIHaTrA8YQwg96BAgBECM&dct=1&adurl=

Cheers James

OP
OP
Peskyrabbitt
Nov 28, 2018
Edzell Scotland.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Park tool videos are good.

Zinn books are excellent.

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjL1-Of8ojyAhUQuu0KHWAUB-MYABAHGgJkZw&ae=2&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAESQOD2x6CYw4-FJC86b2PCjpoLdBtCETjWCd-om1sPIQSM6KZfGpi_qnfdAiAE6IiHI_1ZGDQgbd2xt0snfVbO0CA&sig=AOD64_3_lKbKonv-7I8EcC-csfEHw7q7xA&ctype=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwj7iNyf8ojyAhWaVBUIHaTrA8YQwg96BAgBECM&dct=1&adurl=

Cheers James
The 2 books mentioned so far I have come across in my search, but its always good to get other peoples opinions rather than a fabricated review on Amazon or similar.

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
75% of that won't apply to road bike maintenance. Apart from lubrication, fixing punctures and changing brake blocks very occasionally there's not a lot to maintain on a modern road bike.
That may be so, but it's not expensive and Peskyrabbitt he doesn't have to read it all.
All jobs are simple when you know how to do them. ;)
Which book would you suggest? (Edit later......apologies, that reads a bit abrupt - not my intention).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Peskyrabbitt
Nov 28, 2018
Edzell Scotland.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Like anything in life its only easy when you know how and everyone has to start somewhere, so what might be straight forward to you may not be to others until they fully understand it.
For example my road bike and I have done about 600 miles since April, and I know from previous experience that bikes need run in and cables etc stretch, and I am now having difficulty selecting the highest gear so rather than mess about with it and maybe make it worse I would rather learn how to maintain and repair. especially given recent Covid events.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Sorry I didn't mean to be negative. It's great to be able to maintain your own bike. Lots of maintenance books are very generalized and these days you can find out how do do specific jobs to different types of cycles very easily online. I find these videos easier to follow than a few diagrams in a book. Eg. How to adjust gear cables due to stretching.

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
That may be so, but it's not expensive and Peskyrabbitt he doesn't have to read it all.
All jobs are simple when you know how to do them. ;)
Which book would you suggest? (Edit later......apologies, that reads a bit abrupt - not my intention).
No offense taken, I agree a book is better than nothing but I find the answer to almost everything is online these days and in more detail so I can't really suggest a book.

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Sorry I didn't mean to be negative. It's great to be able to maintain your own bike.
No prob.
I find these videos easier to follow than a few diagrams in a book.
I'm the complete opposite. I prefer to have the manual beside me to follow (at my own speed) when working at the bench or on a vehicle. It is true though that videos don't suffer from greasy finger prints. :giggle:

The Lord Squid

Free Member
Dec 28, 2016
The West Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Auto-Sleepers panel van
Exp
since 2017
This has reminded me of the book I relied on as a teenager - "Richard's Bicycle Book". I particularly remember the section on how to fend off dogs using the old style bicycle pump. The technique varied dependent on the size of the dog and would have been particularly unpleasant for small (or was it large?) dogs.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Ballantine

OP
OP
Peskyrabbitt
Nov 28, 2018
Edzell Scotland.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun