Bike insurance with permanent Green Card (1 Viewer)

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
I am resurrecting my 32 year old Honda C90 to carry in the back of the Hymer. The Hymer is French but I will keep the bike English as the hassle of changing it to French is just not worth it.
I can get French insurance with a permanent green card, not cheap, about €150 twice the price of UK quotes. But DVLA tell me that I cannot Tax a vehicle using French Insurance, last I heard we were still in the EU!
Anybody know of a UK company that will do a permanent green card? I doubt I will do more than a few hundred miles a year.
Thanks for any help.
Steve

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
People tax UK registered & mot'd cars here using spanish insurance. & online.
Needs to be a company that has a Uk affiliated arm & is registered to trade in UK.
My only problem with your situation is how you'd ovecome the astute Police/gendarme/guardia who realises that you can't be using one of the vehicles legally depending on your licence/country you are in.

Personally I'd go with the French insurance with permanent green card as it 's less aggro than a UK company.

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Yes I could use the French company AXA who also trade in the UK but if DVLA will not tax it I can't use it in the UK, we go over at least once a year to see family.
In France I don't need, an MOT but I have already spent six months and €1100 turning the Hymer French I don't want to go all through that with the Honda.
I did see a post once from Rory @Forestboy saying that he used a German insurer but if you can't get UK tax?
@gus-lopez why couldn't I legally carry a UK registered bike in a French registered MoHo? Non residency doesn't prohibit owning a vehicle at least in France and the UK.
Steve

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Please be aware:
The police in London have had a problem with UK registered cars bought by Eastern Europeans which are then insured in their home country being driven in London.
Legal advice has been sought and the police have been told that if the insurance company is not a member of the UK Insurance Industry (and every foreign insurance company will not be) and registered as such then the car is NOT insured and can be seized by police and driver reported.No case to date has reached the courts!

There are obviously lots of UK registered cars being driven in Spain with Spanish insurance, this is going to cause problems if they pop back to the UK for the MOT............. I do believe that when you leave Spain you only have third party cover.

This could become interesting when UK leaves EU as

Motor Insurance Directive 2009/103/EC
The EU Motor Insurance Directive 2009/103/EC is a fundamental element to the free movement of vehicles in the European Union. The Directive establishes a single market in the field of motor insurance. The Directive obliges all motor vehicles in the EU to be covered by compulsory third party insurance and ensures the abolition of border checks on insurance so that vehicles can be driven as easily between Member States as within one country.

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
Yes I could use the French company AXA who also trade in the UK but if DVLA will not tax it I can't use it in the UK, we go over at least once a year to see family.
In France I don't need, an MOT but I have already spent six months and €1100 turning the Hymer French I don't want to go all through that with the Honda.
I did see a post once from Rory @Forestboy saying that he used a German insurer but if you can't get UK tax?
@gus-lopez why couldn't I legally carry a UK registered bike in a French registered MoHo? Non residency doesn't prohibit owning a vehicle at least in France and the UK.
Steve

Sorry but you absolutely DO need MOT on any British registered vehicle, as well as VED, in order to drive/ride it on any public road, whether that road be in the UK or in any other European country (assuming that vehicle requires mot under British road traffic law).
It'd be a criminal offence to use that vehicle temporarily on thr roads in another EU country without it being continually legal in it's "home" country.
There is also the issue of the legal maximum amount of time that any vehicle from one EU country can temporarily be a guest in another EU country, which is 6 months in any year.
Of course a crime is only a crime if you get caught, but if you're riding it with no MOT or VED and thus illegally in France, any insurance cover would be void if you crash etc....the costs could potentially be literally bankrupting if you injured anyone seriously. Crrtainly in Spain now, a Traffic Police havr instant handheld computer access to British vehicle tax and mot cjrck data.... they are massively cracking down on all the old Brit regs illegal cars that have been kept all over the Costas for decades.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
Steve

EU wide regulations prohibit private drivers resident in one EU state from driving any foreign registered vehicle in theat country.
I.e. I hold spanish residency & a spanish driving licence . I can only drive spanish plated vehicles when in spain. When I leave spain I can drive in any other country vehicles plated in any EU state.

So if you hold French residency ,& by that you would be required under EU rules to have exchanged a UK for a French licence, then your motorhome would be legal but driving the UK plated M/bike would contravene the regulations. When in the UK ,or any other EU state , you'd be driving both legally. If you are a UK resident then the above would be reversed.
The requirement is the same all over & was inroduced in the UK in 1983 yet has only recently, with the advent of huge amounts of EU citizens working in the Uk, started to be enforced.

Hope this clarifies things & don't shoot me I'm only the messenger.:D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
@The Nomad you misunderstood me, I meant if I re-registered the Honda in France, it would not need an MOT as motor bikes don't in France. That is my problem. UK insurance is not joined up, still has the island mentality as does DVLA who will not Tax a Vehicle which is insured legally with a European Wide company.
I constantly travel in Europe, 90 days cover outside little England is just not enough. AXA France sensibly issues a Europe wide Green card automitacally, so the question still stands, is there any sensible insurance company in the UK that understands that people travel. The DVLA will never even approach sensible.
Steve

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
All you need to find is a French company that is registered on the UK motor insurance database as at least 2 spanish companies, Liberty seguros & Mapfre are.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back