Bigger water tank , or additional one (1 Viewer)

SD j

Free Member
May 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin supreme
Exp
Since 2000
just changed vans day before lockdown so not been anywhere yet ☹️
We have been trialling our purchase at weekends on the drive in order to iron out any issues
We noticed last weekend that swift had decided to reduce the size of fresh water tank from 100ltrs to just 60 in the new model.
(Read ,Ran out of water unexpectedly)

This was not a welcome find especially
now that having your own facilities are more important than ever.
Therefore I’m thinking about either
A bigger tank or adding an extra smaller tank somehow, there looks to be room by the existing tank under the van .
Any advice greatly appreciated

2x2camper

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
just changed vans day before lockdown so not been anywhere yet ☹
We have been trialling our purchase at weekends on the drive in order to iron out any issues
We noticed last weekend that swift had decided to reduce the size of fresh water tank from 100ltrs to just 60 in the new model.
(Read ,Ran out of water unexpectedly)

This was not a welcome find especially
now that having your own facilities are more important than ever.
Therefore I’m thinking about either
A bigger tank or adding an extra smaller tank somehow, there looks to be room by the existing tank under the van .
Any advice greatly appreciated
Do you have the payload for the extra weight?

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Do you have the payload for the extra weight?
Thats 40 Kilos, 88 Pounds or 6.2 Stone....

Did they also downsize the waste tank ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
See where the tank is and can a larger one be fitted there? If not then you can look at space for an additional one

Caggsie1

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
Or do as we’ve done and take an aqua roll With a 12v pump. This is a recent addition to our Mh’ing, and we’ve been doing it for 12 years now, and it is great.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Or do as we’ve done and take an aqua roll With a 12v pump. This is a recent addition to our Mh’ing, and we’ve been doing it for 12 years now, and it is great.
Just going to post similar but you beat me to it, not an aqua roll but what we have is two 25 Lt drums under the seat and a submersible pump attached to a hose long enough to go through the toilet window and into the tank filler and a cable that just plugs in to an extension cig lighter plug..
Works well as if we keep finding filling places we don't use it, just if we run out.

OP
OP
SD j

SD j

Free Member
May 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin supreme
Exp
Since 2000
Just going to post similar but you beat me to it, not an aqua roll but what we have is two 25 Lt drums under the seat and a submersible pump attached to a hose long enough to go through the toilet window and into the tank filler and a cable that just plugs in to an extension cig lighter plug..
Works well as if we keep finding filling places we don't use it, just if we run out.
We do have a a couple of containers and a whale pump but I would prefer a less time consuming solution.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Normally easier to add an extra tank a friend did it on his PVC quite a simple job.
I have always preferred travelling with minimal water on board so wouldn’t really factor this in .
Don't understand why you would need a bigger tank then, we always travel with our 160Lt tank full.
I would have thought the reason to have a bigger tank is so you can last longer if you can't find water.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Normally easier to add an extra tank a friend did it on his PVC quite a simple job.

Don't understand why you would need a bigger tank then, we always travel with our 160Lt tank full.
I would have thought the reason to have a bigger tank is so you can last longer if you can't find water.
No I couldn't follow that either

OP
OP
SD j

SD j

Free Member
May 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin supreme
Exp
Since 2000

Not being impolite , but Ive never been to a site with no water before ?
we travel with tanks almost empty , fill up on arrival at site then use water until tank empty , bigger tank means less filling up when there . we would need a bigger payload and probably fuel tank to carry 160ltrs of water about .

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
we travel with tanks almost empty , fill up on arrival at site then use water until tank empty , bigger tank means less filling up when there . we would need a bigger payload and probably fuel tank to carry 160ltrs of water about .
not everyone stays on sites

Sep 22, 2017
Funster No
We had an autotrail cheyane 635, we took out one of the gas bottles, got an aquaroll, removed the tyres and it fitted perfectly where the gas bottle was and not too much of a faff. We then got one of these Amazon product ASIN B0014Z4VFA which fitted spot on beside the spare wheel in the back wheel locker for the waste water. it worked like a caravan when ensconced with awning up etc. One of those simple things you suss out that give you a ridiculous amount of satisfaction. (y)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
You never said you were only on sites, don't see the need for much of a tank at all then.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
We rarely use sites and when traveling in the winter most sites are closed anyway and most Aires have the water turned off. Last year on our trip to Spain & back stopped at 10 Aires only 2 had the water turned on.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
We never fill our tank above half, which is about 60lr. and never run out of water. We seem to find water when needed and we never go near a site. Would pay for a refill at a site if nessarary but never yet found the need - even wilding in the UK
Would it be to much of a task to drive the van to the waterpiont every few days

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I

Thats over 25 stone, (two big passengers), I am sure you may have considered this, however you may find you would improve your MPG and emissions with a little less water onboard when driving.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I

Thats over 25 stone, (two big passengers), I am sure you may have considered this, however you may find you would improve your MPG and emissions with a little less water onboard when driving.
Still got 300 kg of spare payload and get 24 mpg. 160kg is not much on a 4500 kg van.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
but Ive never been to a site with no water before ?
I've rarely been to a site.This is what many of us do. I travel full & fill at any opportunity as I don't actually arrive anywhere.
I

I average around 38mpg & run with full water & diesel all the time.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Changing or adding a tank
Seems a lot of expense & faff to go to rather than topping up with a couple of watering cans a day.
Agree if you are only going to use sites. Different when wilding, we found the 100 Lt on our last van small and carried 2 x 20 Lt of water in the garage.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I've rarely been to a site.This is what many of us do. I travel full & fill at any opportunity as I don't actually arrive anywhere.

I average around 38mpg & run with full water & diesel all the time.
Yeah ,if we can wherever we stop is empty everything that needs emptying even if not full, and fill everything that needs filling even if not empty, that way we know we have at least 3 days with no services, and can go to five or more if we use public toilets, which I must admit we don't if we can help it.
Fuel is about 34 to the gallon and when full we are good for 400 miles before needing to fill.

OP
OP
SD j

SD j

Free Member
May 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin supreme
Exp
Since 2000
We have once found a UK site without water. All taps frozen.
Thats unfortunate,
I will increase the tank capacity sufficiently to allow a full weekend of use without having to resort to watering cans etc , for no other reason than being a lazy begger whom once parked hates having to drive again in at least the next two days.:LOL:
Thanks to everyone for contributing

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
We have a 50 ltr tank, off grid we can go for about three days, washing and showering, we don't drink from the tank normally.

We carry an empty 25 ltr Jerry can and submersible pump for water collection and topping up.

As stated, if you only go on sites a watering can would do.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Still got 300 kg of spare payload and get 24 mpg. 160kg is not much on a 4500 kg van.
Absolutely. I travel with 220 litres. Weight has little bearing on fuel economy in my experience. Now frontal area and head winds ........... 😁.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back