Big Service Tomorrow - Which Oil (1 Viewer)

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Which Oil do I ask for in a Mercedes 208D - the manual sates W30 OR W40 and the garage say they use manufacturers recommendation. So I am confused

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
It will be that yellowy stuff in a plastic bottle:ROFLMAO:

is it the OM601 engine? I think it is 10w40

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
when you find the grade, buy your own and give it to the garage.

Or the Chances are they will use their own bulk oil which will probably be 10w30.

Many modern diesels, especially if they have a DPF, need specific oil.....and using the wrong one can damage the DPF

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
OddSocks

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
when you find the grade, buy your own and give it to the garage.

Or the Chances are they will use their own bulk oil which will probably be 10w30.

Many modern diesels, especially if they have a DPF, need specific oil.....and using the wrong one can damage the DPF

LOL Wouldn't call a 1990 208D a Modern Diesel! :Eeek:

Yes - it is the OM601 engine. I was expecting it to say W40 in the book, but it listed both and talked about different ambient temps and stuff, non of which made much sense to me if I am honest! lol

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
LOL Wouldn't call a 1990 208D a Modern Diesel! :Eeek:

Yes - it is the OM601 engine. I was expecting it to say W40 in the book, but it listed both and talked about different ambient temps and stuff, non of which made much sense to me if I am honest! lol

W40 will be a summer grade.....a bit more viscous when cold but thinning when hot.
W30will be winter grade....a bit thinner to aid cold weather cranking and overall colder conditions.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Which Oil do I ask for in a Mercedes 208D - the manual sates W30 OR W40 and the garage say they use manufacturers recommendation. So I am confused

It was me, I'd use a 0W40, or 10W40, if they allow 30 or 40 grades. The 40 will reduce oil loss on an older engine. The W rating means it stays thin when cold, so offers cold start protection.

The main thing to check is the oil base stock. I'd always use fully synthetic, but would check compatibility with the particular engine first. Also, on older vehicles, check if the engine had flat tappet cams. If so, add ZDDPlus to the oil as well, as modern oils aren't allowed to have any, and your camshaft will soon be wrecked without it. It is banned from modern spec oils because it kills catalytic converters.

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
It is a good idea to buy the oil yourself. If your engine takes more than 5ltrs you could end up paying for 10, especially if you use a small garage that doesn't carry any stock. On the other hand, you'll have enough spare for about four years servicing:thumb:

OP
OP
OddSocks

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
W40 will be a summer grade.....a bit more viscous when cold but thinning when hot.
W30will be winter grade....a bit thinner to aid cold weather cranking and overall colder conditions.

Thank you ppj - I always wondered what the difference was!

It was me, I'd use a 0W40, or 10W40, if they allow 30 or 40 grades. The 40 will reduce oil loss on an older engine. The W rating means it stays thin when cold, so offers cold start protection.

The main thing to check is the oil base stock. I'd always use fully synthetic, but would check compatibility with the particular engine first. Also, on older vehicles, check if the engine had flat tappet cams. If so, add ZDDPlus to the oil as well, as modern oils aren't allowed to have any, and your camshaft will soon be wrecked without it. It is banned from modern spec oils because it kills catalytic converters.

No idea what a flat tappet cam is or how I would go about researching this on my old merc.....

It is a good idea to buy the oil yourself. :thumb:

Funny! When I asked about this last week I was advised to let the garage supply everything needed otherwise I was needlessly cutting in to their profits for no real gain, so that it what I have done. As the van is booked in for 8am tomorrow morning there is no chance I will be buying the oil! lol

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Hi oddsocks,i always use 10w40 semi synthetic in our old girl 0m617 series,Alf.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
OddSocks;1025689 No idea what a flat tappet cam is or how I would go about researching this on my old merc..... [/QUOTE said:
It looks like it has reasonable hydraulic lifters and should be OK, but I'm not quite sure.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back