Big September Exit (1 Viewer)

Jun 5, 2020
New Forest, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 414
Exp
4 years, travelling to Greece each year and exploring on the way and back
Weve been in France 3 days seen just one Brit. Loads of Dutch mostly French though. I suspect most places a fair bit quieter than usual. We're avoiding busy areas but overall the French seem to be taking it more seriously than in the UK.
Yup, needed to show our certs to enter campsite and again to enter restaurants. Swiss didn't care, neither do the Italians, although they did take our temperature in San Marino.

missmollie

Free Member
Jul 30, 2008
Warrington
Funster No
MH
Knaus SUN TI
Exp
since 2006
Been in france for just over a week now, I have not seen one person without a mask in any of the supermarkets. Amazing we had so many in the UK who couldnā€™t wear a mask in shops when it was compulsory for medical reasons.

Nov 13, 2017
Pembrokeshire, Greece and everywhere in between
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
With regards to the Brits there is no sign of any big september exit. Been in France a week and seen two Brits. However there are signs of a really big exit from the Dutch. Presently on Le Soleil Fruite site south of Lyon, 3 miles from the main motorway. Arrived at site around 11:30am by 1pm it was full . All Dutch and all look like they are heading to the Med.
Interesting. Weā€™re currently in mid Italy but when driving through France to Italy we saw loads of Dutch vehicles heading north! Perhaps the Dutch are just on the move generally.
Only seen a couple of British registered vehicles since just south of Calais, one car and one motor home.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
BUT they don't stamp your Passport until you Arrive, it's not the Chunnel...and your not me, I'm a Rebel :)
Be a rebel over things things you can change.

Overstay your visa by a few hours you are liable to be punished, even if it's only a slap on the wrist the first time.
Overstay your visa by a day or more, you can expect to be banned from re-entry for a period of time.

Sooner or later I'd expect the French (and to a lesser extent the Dutch, Spanish and Irish) to start to come up with a standard response to UK visa infringements

At least France has a thriving people smuggling industry you can fall back on, although the tickets seem to be very expensive and the boats seem to be overcrowded and have no duty free shops

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
A pair of motorhomers who overstayed their 90 day visa being rescued by the RNLI in the Channel

1630577410162.png

(Not really, yet, but it could happen sooner or later)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Been in france for just over a week now, I have not seen one person without a mask in any of the supermarkets. Amazing we had so many in the UK who couldnā€™t wear a mask in shops when it was compulsory for medical reasons.
Maybe they're made of sterner stuff in France less whingers

Twogirls

Free Member
Mar 21, 2016
ESSEX
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 300
Exp
Since 2014
On the boat to Bilbao next Friday. Visiting friends in Almeria then onto Cabanas/Tavira in Portugal. Have you been on any of the sites and if so are they busy?
I'm in Cabanas, the site here (Ria Formosa) is quite busy, you must show proof of vaccination in order to stay there. Cabanas itself has quieted down a lot since last weekend when the vast majority of Portugese holidaymakers left. Not been many Brits here all summer.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Perhaps in that UK we are better educated, as the evidence that mask wearing stops the spread of Covid is nonexistent.

Nov 30, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B594PL
Exp
Since 2010
We've been in Northern Spain for two weeks now. Sites are busy with spanish holidays makers but very few other nationalities. Only seen one other gb sticker. There are plenty of safe overnight and free alternatives here, many with fabulous sea views :)

Jun 5, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 414
Exp
Perhaps in that UK we are better educated, as the evidence that mask wearing stops the spread of Covid is nonexistent.
Oh, didnt realise we had a virologist in our midst...šŸ˜‘šŸ˜‘šŸ˜‘

Jun 5, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 414
Exp
If you go to epernay a must if you havenā€™t been already i can recommend a trip up in the teathered hot air balloon at Moet en Chandon champagne house.
Lovely camping municipal at Dormans, called Sous le Clocher on the banks of the Marne and a short walk into town. The guy at reception sells chilled champagne for 16 euros...delicious . Swimming pool, lovely clean facilities 15 euros per night with electricity.

Kozikot

Free Member
Nov 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Newbie ish...

Overstay your visa by a few hours you are liable to be punished, even if it's only a slap on the wrist the first time.
Overstay your visa by a day or more, you can expect to be banned from re-entry for a period of time.

Sooner or later I'd expect the French (and to a lesser extent the Dutch, Spanish and Irish) to start to come up with a standard response to UK visa infringements

At least France has a thriving people smuggling industry you can fall back on, although the tickets seem to be very expensive and the boats seem to be overcrowded and have no duty free shops

Yes Mum !

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Booked Newhaven Dieppe on 8th September so Lennie can buy us a pint in the pub near the port in the evening on 7th :)

Then 3 weeks in France, 3 weeks in Sardinia, and 3 weeks in Spain before returning to Old Blighty via St Malo.

Thatā€™s the plan, leaving home on 6th and clutching our laminated Scottish vaccination certificates without the QR code, allegedly required for domestic activities in France.
Think Lenny will be washing his hair that night.šŸ˜„šŸ˜„

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
We are currently in Spain. Where is everybody??? We must be the "Billy no mates" as no GB tourers seen. It was the same in France. I must say though that the motorhome stopover sites are full of Staycation French and Spanish outfits. Come on down the weather is lovely!!
No Brits there in June,July,, BUSBY.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
What if you break your leg in those last six days?
You could have a heart attack in your first week and still be stuck there.BUSBY.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
As the ship is not British Flagged, you effectively enter the EU 12 miles off Portsmouth.

One flat tyre, or ship delay due to weather or a tummy bug could see you banned from the entire EU for the next 3 years, I'd be inclined to move your return date back by a week and aim for 80-85 days.
Don't think so, International waters.You enter The EU when they stamp your passport.BUSBY.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp

And the boats are going in the wrong direction..Too much doom and gloom appearing on here..BUSBY.šŸ˜†šŸ˜†

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Serious question, do I leave the air conditioning unit in the van or take it out to save weight??? Will I need it in central France in September? Unlikely but .... Decisions, decisions.

OP
OP
TM59

TM59

Free Member
Sep 16, 2011
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Rapido V55 PVC
Exp
since 2003
Made the hop to Spain last weekend. No problems with paperwork. No one interested in the fridge contents. Passport stamped and on our way. Plenty of Dutch and French vans about. Very few UK vans.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back