Big ferry, Spain Portugal and home (1 Viewer)

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Despite having had a motorhome for over 20 years and travelling vastly in France, Germany, Italy, Austria, Eastern Europe and beyond I had a dilemma now solved. In October I am going to Portugal to compete in Ironman Portugal in Cascais 💪. What makes it even weirder I suppose is that I am actually half Portuguese and hold a Portuguese passport, but never been.
Anyhow, I had booked flights but am shit scared of flying and they (TAP) changed the flights at last minute which gave me an excuse to beat Nikki up, tie her in the van and tell her we are off to Portugal for 2 weeks. She's thrilled :rolleyes:. So no dog, as Dog sitter sorted. And we are going to go on the Bilbao ferry on the Saturday, arrive Sunday lunch and head for Cascais. Does anyone have any advice on the ferry? what's it like? my experience is Dover Calais about 100 plus times. Also what about Spanish Aires? are they safe, whats the avoid at all costs scenario and if anyone has any recommendations for an air/stop over about 250-300 miles from Bilbao in the direction of Lisbon, I am all ears.

TIA.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Take a kettle and the makings, plug adaptor, load iPad/ laptop up with films/books and enjoy?
Oh and a pillow if you need two as you only get one 👍

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Despite having had a motorhome for over 20 years and travelling vastly in France, Germany, Italy, Austria, Eastern Europe and beyond I had a dilemma now solved. In October I am going to Portugal to compete in Ironman Portugal in Cascais 💪. What makes it even weirder I suppose is that I am actually half Portuguese and hold a Portuguese passport, but never been.
Anyhow, I had booked flights but am shit scared of flying and they (TAP) changed the flights at last minute which gave me an excuse to beat Nikki up, tie her in the van and tell her we are off to Portugal for 2 weeks. She's thrilled :rolleyes:. So no dog, as Dog sitter sorted. And we are going to go on the Bilbao ferry on the Saturday, arrive Sunday lunch and head for Cascais. Does anyone have any advice on the ferry? what's it like? my experience is Dover Calais about 100 plus times. Also what about Spanish Aires? are they safe, whats the avoid at all costs scenario and if anyone has any recommendations for an air/stop over about 250-300 miles from Bilbao in the direction of Lisbon, I am all ears.

TIA.
Spain and Portugal are great but quite different to each other. I love both. Lots of aires in Spain tjese days, only problem we've ever ha d is noise because the Spanish keep hours that are alien to us, you can really p*ss them off by being noisy between 2 & 4 in the afternoon because thats the time of day they sleep. Great climate, wonderful town's ( away from costas) a lot to see and great cheap food.

Portugal is different, great motorway network with the 2nd worst tolling set up in Europe, cheap but complicated, make sure you register as you enter. Non motorway roads will ruin your teeth. Wonderfully warm, friendly people, even cheaper great food. But you've got to be a lot more careful where you even park your motorhome.

Big difference between ferries, a lot more comfortable, but longer, do an overnight bag before you get in the queue because BF loading is very stop start. Defo take a charger with a 2 pin plug, think about your fridge freezer because your very unlikely to get ehu, turn off roaming on the boat.
Hope you have a great time
Jon

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
Good point about switching off phone roaming. I had a 3 contract with free roaming, the monthly bill came in with a £50 charge for some weird 3g network I never heard of.

Deleted User
Extra pillows are available, just ask at the desk, we usually have a 4 berth cabin for 2 so use the spare pillows.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back