Oct 16, 2016
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Total Newbie
Hi,

We've been looking at getting our first motorhome for a couple of years now and we're nearly able to do it. However, while we love the mobility it would give us, we also wouldn't want to unhook it from everything to go somewhere for the day, which makes us think of towing a car.

But with 5, possibly 6, in the family (plus 3 dogs that would be with us on UK trips), we need a 'van big enough (no problem!) and we'd need a car big enough as well. Could a 6/7 berth motorhome tow a car big enough for 5/6 people? I'm thinking it would definitely need a braked trailer rather than A frame.

Is this viable or a non-starter? Has anyone else done this?

Many thanks,

Schneckster

OP
OP
S

Schneckster

Free Member
Oct 16, 2016
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Total Newbie
Thanks for the replies, folks.

The wifey likes motorhomes (as do I!), but I was worried our circumstances might make a caravan better.

We can't afford a new motorhome so any recommendations on the used market that would have up to 3 tonne tow capacity? Or are we better cutting out the hassle and getting a caravan instead?

Thanks again,

Schneckster

Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi, it doesnt take that long to have the van ready to drive off a pitch, i'd say it would take us 5 mins max although I'd think with 6 it might take a bit longer but not that long. If your only in the UK and your going somewhere you'll need the car could one of you not drive it there to save the expense of bigger MH and trailer.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

Schneckster

Free Member
Oct 16, 2016
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Total Newbie
Hi Lorger,

The time to drive off a pitch isn't really why we were thinking about motorhomes - we just like them and prefer them to caravans, I guess. And while we would make use of it in the UK, we would also take it across the Channel, hence the question - we absolutely love France and a motorhome on some N roads we've been down in the past would be glorious! :h:

Schneckster

Upvote 0

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
Hi Lorger,

The time to drive off a pitch isn't really why we were thinking about motorhomes - we just like them and prefer them to caravans, I guess. And while we would make use of it in the UK, we would also take it across the Channel, hence the question - we absolutely love France and a motorhome on some N roads we've been down in the past would be glorious! :h:

Schneckster

We have four kids and we have owned motorhomes forever, have been fulltiming in our current motorhome for nearly five years, so we do know a little about the situation.

The suggestion that you need a caravan is valid but I would move into a house :Eeek: rather than have a caravan (sorry tuggers, nothing personal :) )

Do you really need a towed vehicle?
We managed for many years without one.

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I used to travel with up to four kids on the continent with a seven berth Kon-Tiki 650. Never had any need of a car, as long as you're organised and keep the interior tidy, moving off only takes a minute or two.
I used to give each child a locker for their stuff, if it wouldn't fit, leave it behind.

Upvote 0
D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
I will admit that I'm envious of caravanners on occasion.
Those big awnings with a porch up front provide a huge amount of living space and make a lot of sense if you have a large family.
You can carry a big table and chairs, full size fridge, large bbq and so on, also have the car to pootle around in - It's not a bad proposition.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

Schneckster

Free Member
Oct 16, 2016
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Total Newbie
I guess the need for the car is based on previous holidays where we usually drove to the destination anyway and used the car to explore the area. Our last holiday was to a Siblu caravan site near La Palmyre, about an hour south of La Rochelle. We rented a static caravan for the week but used the car to go to places like La Rochelle, or the other side of , I guess you'd call it a peninsula of sorts. We did find on that occasion that going anywhere off-site was difficult without a car - even the local Super-U was a 10 minute drive, Lidl even further (pastis the locals drank for 8 euros and local wine for 1.60 a bottle - that was a good place to find! :LOL: ).

From this, I suppose we thought of motorhomes as self-propelled caravans that once you're there, you leave the MH there and use something else to get about. Friends of ours do exactly that and I suppose that's what we thought we'd do, too. Of course, our friends are just a couple towing a Smart Four Two instead of a family of 5/6 like us! :eek:

Schneckster

Upvote 0
Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
:welcome4:

The amount of times i wished i could have swapped my 680 Starline for a caravan . Never any takers though , ah well i suppose i can take a hint .

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back