LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
You know how we think a buzzard's a fairly large bird in the UK?

Out cutting grass today I stood up to ease my back & looked up and saw this. The little smudge at the top is a buzzard - and yes they're all at roughly the same height & distance - the buzzard was hazing the others (which didn't retaliate, just barrel-rolled and showed him their feet)

buzzard & w-t eagles.JPG

Now I know it's difficult to tell from these pics from my little point-&-shoot camera, but my mate Dave has a very very good camera & can confirm that these 'little' babies ...

pair w-t eagles.JPG

... are white-tailed eagles. Not a bad spot from the garden, eh?

Had a clear sighting of a female hen harrier from the garden yesterday too, very low down above the field just over the wall.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
we see buzzards every day but have had a few sightings of eagles in rural Dorset

Reactions: DBK

ymfb

Free Member
Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
we see nearly as many Red Kites as Buzzards now, yet to see an Eagle or Bustard. Great spot, would like to know your locale.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we see buzzards every day but have had a few sightings of eagles in rural Dorset

no wish to disagree, but I do sorry, extremely unlikely an eagle has ever been spotted on Dorset

Our only eagles Golden Eagle and White Tailed Eagles are resident so wouldn't even fly over to get out :)

In Scotland they call the buzzard a tourist eagle due to false sightings (y)(y)

Last edited:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Thought this thread was about fat women.

As I have no knowledge of birds I will butt out.:whistle:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
no wish to disagree, but I do sorry, extremely unlikely an eagle has ever been spotted on Dorset

Our only eagles Golden Eagle and White Tailed Eagles are resident so wouldn't even fly over to get out :)

sorry David, but a few sightings have been reported in dorset
http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/ne...the_eagle_spotted_flying_around_East_Dorset_/

or
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-27656057

or
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...5/Eagle-plummets-into-Dorset-living-room.html

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Thought this thread was about fat women.
As I have no knowledge of birds I will butt out.:whistle:

Just for you Chris.........

upload_2017-6-20_21-50-26.jpeg

name the funsters.............:whistle:

:imoutahere:

ymfb

Free Member
Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
i have driven around Scotland hoping to see an Eagle, but never have. Seen a few in the US

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
i have driven around Scotland hoping to see an Eagle, but never have. Seen a few in the US
They are rare even in Scotland. To have a good chance of seeing them you need to know exactly where to go.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Great spot and certainly one on many peoples list, must have been amazing to see them together and with a common buzzard as size reference, that's just perfect.

Yes only the Western Isles is where you'll see these fellas unless it's an escapee and as there's less than 10 White tails being flown they wouldn't get far before their telemetry gave them away.....

White tails are also bigger than Goldies so you've seen Britain's largest bird of prey.

I really hope to see them one day

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
PS in the second pic which is pretty darn good for an Eagle pic at distance you can see the female at the front and the male behind, looks like he's already started to moult, that would be a nice memento to find

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Great spot and certainly one on many peoples list, must have been amazing to see them together and with a common buzzard as size reference, that's just perfect.
Yes only the Western Isles is where you'll see these fellas...
I really hope to see them one day

PS in the second pic which is pretty darn good for an Eagle pic at distance you can see the female at the front and the male behind, looks like he's already started to moult, that would be a nice memento to find[/QUOTE
@Ridgeway the harassing buzzard was great - such a gutsy little feller! (or gal).
Was watching a couple of immature white tails the previous evening a short distance away, about 5 miles drive & a couple of miles walk in, an 'almost guaranteed sighting' spot. Easy to watch & identify through a small pair of binoculars. But this pair were pretty much over the garden! which was fantastic

Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
Isle of Mull is great for eagle spotters. You'd be pretty unlucky if you didn't see any. Loch Buie was our favourite place, white tailed on the right of the bay and golden round towards Laggen beach to the left.

Reactions: CWH

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013

I see loads of buzzards on my travels through Dorset, never see anything when I go North :(, maybe next time! :)

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I am envious of those of you that photograph these birds .. I am always driving when I see an interesting one and can't do anything about it. :(

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Great to see.

Many years ago for a solar eclipse we did a Munro to sit and watch but just at the top and before the eclipse a white tailed eagle flew over which made our day.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back