bewarw at blue bank yorkshire (1 Viewer)

shardav

Free Member
Feb 22, 2009
holbeach
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
1 1/2 years
Hi all watch out if wilding at blue bank as was up there friday night 29th april and there was some (i can only take it locals) that thought it funny to throw eggs at my van waking me and the wife and then tearing off down the hill with no lights on and then about ten minutes later coming back up the hill and about to stop when i turned all my lights on making them drive off so we decided to leave i can only describe the car/pickup as 4x4 blue/green toyota type so wont be going to yorkshire again if thats the way they want to treat us ill spend my money somewhere else it is a shame as like to go to whitby quite alot

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Never had a problem there but there is a first time for everything
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Do wild campers spend more money whilst visiting an area , buying food drinks etc ? Or do they fill the fridge n cupboards up before leaving home ? Is it a case of not paying for a site therefor spending more locally ?
Not wanting to cause a debate or anything but its always a case of " i will spend my money else where "

We use C.L's and CCC rally sites which usually dont cost more than a fiver a night and you know your not going to be moved on. Usually eating out either lunch time or evening .
We have wild camped , but only in the middle of nowhere. If you were egged in the middle of the night it must be a popular spot for wilding , for locals to get wound up about it. Not many people carry eggs around with them .
Seems locals who dont like the idea of wild campers , throwing eggs tooting horns IS putting people off doing it , by the looks of it. At least you didn't get your tyres slashed , like in a previous post.
We wouldnt have been able to move on either as both of us would have had a drink:Blush:
Must have been scary for you. Certainly putting me off doing it. Especially with having kids with us too.
Bev

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
stop there a lot never had a problem there .don't let them drive you away from the area
move on up to gothland or onto moors lots of spots .plenty of cl sites around .:thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
stop there a lot never had a problem there .don't let them drive you away from the area
move on up to gothland or onto moors lots of spots .plenty of cl sites around .:thumb:

:thumb::thumb::thumb:::bigsmile:
terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Do wild campers spend more money whilst visiting an area , buying food drinks etc ? Or do they fill the fridge n cupboards up before leaving home ? Is it a case of not paying for a site therefor spending more locally ?
Not wanting to cause a debate or anything but its always a case of " i will spend my money else where "

We use C.L's and CCC rally sites which usually dont cost more than a fiver a night and you know your not going to be moved on. Usually eating out either lunch time or evening .
We have wild camped , but only in the middle of nowhere. If you were egged in the middle of the night it must be a popular spot for wilding , for locals to get wound up about it. Not many people carry eggs around with them .
Seems locals who dont like the idea of wild campers , throwing eggs tooting horns IS putting people off doing it , by the looks of it. At least you didn't get your tyres slashed , like in a previous post.
We wouldnt have been able to move on either as both of us would have had a drink:Blush:
Must have been scary for you. Certainly putting me off doing it. Especially with having kids with us too.
Bev

Hi Ralph,I cannot say for others but we carry loads of food and drink :thumb: but it does not stop us eating out in a pub,restaurant ,cafe,or chippy ::bigsmile:We tend to eat what we fancy at the time or if we see a nice looking place to eat in we go and try it :thumb: Sometimes good and not so good :ROFLMAO:Wild camping for us is just a matter of choice :thumb: if we feel it's a nice spot to camp then we do it :thumb: just the same as if we were on a site.:thumb:Money is the last thing that comes up/thought about.:ROFLMAO:
:Eeek: A couple of weeks back we stayed on Abbots House farm at Goathland :ROFLMAO:we parked up had a couple of beers then went to pay,the robbing barstweward charged us £20 for the night :Eeek::Eeek::cry: and his site is not a patch on 7-10 wild camping spots within about 3 miles :ROFLMAO:-- plus I know a pub within 10 miles where you can park for nothing if you have a couple of drinks or a meal (nice meals as well :Doh:):winky:
terry

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time

Bev

TYRESslashed? absolute ballderdash!!!!!!!!!! this has never been proved!!!! it was from the start a completely uninformed thread! not checked by the poster of the thread ,FROM INDEPENDENT SOURCES!

Malicious gossip! at best! :Angry:

J us s

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
TYRESslashed? absolute ballderdash!!!!!!!!!! this has never been proved!!!! it was from the start a completely uninformed thread! not checked by the poster of the thread ,FROM INDEPENDENT SOURCES!

Malicious gossip! at best! :Angry:

J us s
I was the OP of the other thread and did so in good faith - as a caveat. Using Google just now, though, I came up with other stories Here and Link Removed which, independently, report similar events. Of course, these independent postings could all be fabrication :Smile:

Dalek

Free Member
Apr 26, 2010
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 600
Exp
18 months
We are currently on the CC site at Grafham Water and our friends who couldnt get on a site for love nor money are tonight staying on the car park of the Wheatsheaf pub after kindly asked the landlord if we ate there could they stay - not a problem.

Dale

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Last night I sent a message to the person who informed me about Marizion asking whether he had anything like photographs, replacement tyre receipts or police reports regarding the incident.

I've just received a reply saying:
I never reported it or took pictures although several of the van owners called out the breakdown services to get tyres changed or replacements found. AA, RAC and Green Flag were all involved and I'm sure if asked will have records. Green Flag sent St Just Garage out to do the repairs and he saw all 7 vans with slashed tyres as he was first on the scene and I spoke to him. He was local and sure if you contacted him would confirm everything about the tyres. As to pictures several were take by others and a group of twitchers took loads of photo's and also expressed their disgust (some of whom were locals).

Unfortunately it would appear that the original report was accurate. No doubt people local to St Just/Marizion could follow it up further if they wished.

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No

Bev

I don't think for a minute that it would be a case of the locals getting 'wound up' about it (wild camping). It's much more likely to be a group of local youths, probably popped-up after a night in their local, thinking it hilarious to wake someone up late at night - especially if they thought the occupants were getting their leg over at the time :Blush: If they were serious they'd be throwing rocks, not eggs ! Not that I'm saying it wasn't worrying for you ... it would upset me too.

You can get much the same wherever you are, here or sur le Continent. Booze has a lot to do with it

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
I don't think for a minute that it would be a case of the locals getting 'wound up' about it (wild camping). It's much more likely to be a group of local youths, probably popped-up after a night in their local, thinking it hilarious to wake someone up late at night - especially if they thought the occupants were getting their leg over at the time :Blush: If they were serious they'd be throwing rocks, not eggs ! Not that I'm saying it wasn't worrying for you ... it would upset me too.

You can get much the same wherever you are, here or sur le Continent. Booze has a lot to do with it

I suspect that's about right.

Kids having what they consider a laugh, rather than anti-wildcamping activists.

When we were teenagers, my mates and I would go to a local 'romantic' spot in the evening and set off flashguns through the windows of the parked cars there.

Many times we were chased through the woods by irate blokes thinking we had photographed them in interesting situations.

Never got caught, though; it's hard to run with your trousers round your ankles! ::bigsmile:

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish

Bev

The premise of locals being upset by wilders not spending money locally assumes that these miscreants are capable of logical and consistent thought in all areas concerned.
Has anyone considered that we may be dealing with mindless ar***oles here, who may consider this behaviour as "just having a laugh"?
They are about!

Just realised I've been beaten to it, so....
Let's blame the Flying Cornish Piquets, it's easier!

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
Hi all watch out if wilding at blue bank as was up there friday night 29th april and there was some (i can only take it locals) that thought it funny to throw eggs at my van waking me and the wife and then tearing off down the hill with no lights on and then about ten minutes later coming back up the hill and about to stop when i turned all my lights on making them drive off so we decided to leave i can only describe the car/pickup as 4x4 blue/green toyota type so wont be going to yorkshire again if thats the way they want to treat us ill spend my money somewhere else it is a shame as like to go to whitby quite alot

was talking to my mate bob from doncaster he was in whitby that week end and had is van egged .he moved on to robin hoods bay there was a van parked there it had been egged as the owner had been sleeping in it over night wild camping ,
going up to whitby next week will be taking my shot gun lol

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
We were recently at a rally in Morecambe and Barbara had the tyres on her wheelchair slashed......... Steve will have to put scran on a shorter lead :ROFLMAO:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
so....
Let's blame the Flying Cornish Piquets, it's easier![/QUOTE]

They're everywhere! They're everywhere! OMG! Evvverrywhere! ::bigsmile:

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Whitby / Goathland Wild camping

We parked on the north bay at Whitby in the car park above the Spa in December 2011 over night where there were a couple of motor homes, and heard about the problems at Blue Bank,
we were told to use the small car park as the kids were doing do-nuts around the other car park late at night , in the end we went above Goathland and wild camped on the moor top ,

I later contacted the Inn on the Moor about Motorhome parking and the Manager said to contact him, Malcolm Simpson on 01947-896296 , NO Charge to park but it would be appreciated if you went in for a drink ..

We have also over nighted at the car par in Runswick Bay just be wary of the very steep hill !.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Probably just us, but we never wild camp because neither of us can settle down to a good nights sleep wondering who or what is prowling around outside. There is no such thing as a quick getaway in an A-class, putting the bed away, replacing the window blinds etc, plus if you've had a drink it's a no-no anyway. Would rather spend £10-£20 safe in the knowledge that we were secure.
As an aside, we had one of the worst nights sleep ever at the aire in Calais. I'm such a light sleeper that the engine noise from the ferries kept me awake most of the night.

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
During the summer months MHs can park on the grassland area overlooking the sea just outside Ramsey, providing they obtain a permit for £12 for the year.
The area has fresh water, and black and grey waste disposal. It is for all intents and purposes a camp site, without electricity, though not listed as one.
It is patrolled throughout the day and night by G4 and the police. As many as 40 MHs and RVs are parked there at the weekend, a lovely park near town, boating lake, kiddies park, cafe, gardens and water fountains. A beautiful setting .
Yet one evening last year, a few were 'egged', including mine. Never heard anything, it has to be the local 'dick heads' that think this is 'fun'.
Maybe we will be lucky this year and catch them, and introduce them to the pleasures of naked swimming in the boating lake.

Craig

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Thats worth knowing. Where would you get a permit from please?
Bev

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
We have friends that live in Whitby, we live just over the moors from there, and they say that the younger kids are starting to go a bit feral and causing problems in and around the town.

Not a lot different from many other places in the UK, including where we live. l

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Thats worth knowing. Where would you get a permit from please?
Bev

The permits are available from the town hall in Ramsey on production of your insurance. £12 for the 6 months it is open l should say, however, you can park there and if G4 or the police don't see the permit in your windscreen, they will only politely inform you where to obtain one. Nobody has been made to leave the site.
Wildcamping is available all over the IOM, no one is discouraged as long as it's not against any law. Car parks, beaches, glens, promenades, even pubs, now they are creating a site, similar to the one in Ramsey behind the TT grandstand in Douglas.

Any info please pm me.

Craig.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
The permits are available from the town hall in Ramsey on production of your insurance. £12 for the 6 months it is open l should say, however, you can park there and if G4 or the police don't see the permit in your windscreen, they will only politely inform you where to obtain one. Nobody has been made to leave the site.
Wildcamping is available all over the IOM, no one is discouraged as long as it's not against any law. Car parks, beaches, glens, promenades, even pubs, now they are creating a site, similar to the one in Ramsey behind the TT grandstand in Douglas.

Any info please pm me.

Craig.

Hi Craig I am confused ?what has Ramsey got to do with Blue bank at Whitby ? or is there a place/area in Whitby called Ramsey ?
terry

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Hi Craig I am confused ?what has Ramsey got to do with Blue bank at Whitby ? or is there a place/area in Whitby called Ramsey ?
terry

If you read through the posts in this thread Terry, all will be revealed.

Craig

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Come on Craig this post started in April last yr- put me out of my misery ::bigsmile:
terry

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Come on Craig this post started in April last yr- put me out of my misery ::bigsmile:
terry

Right.
An earlier post said something about being 'egged', l replied stating that even on our local permitted site for MHs and RVs we had eggs thrown at some of them, indicating that even in the relative quietness of the IOM, 'dick heads' emerge.
Ralf and Bev asked where to get the permits, hence my reply.

Craig

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Probably just us, but we never wild camp because neither of us can settle down to a good nights sleep wondering who or what is prowling around outside. There is no such thing as a quick getaway in an A-class, putting the bed away, replacing the window blinds etc, plus if you've had a drink it's a no-no anyway. Would rather spend £10-£20 safe in the knowledge that we were secure.
As an aside, we had one of the worst nights sleep ever at the aire in Calais. I'm such a light sleeper that the engine noise from the ferries kept me awake most of the night.

Agree 100% .

it's also cheaper than buying a few drinks in a pub just for the privilege of parking ..

Our first taste of locals causing problems was at Aldeburgh. This was before camper vans were banned from the sea wall.. must have been around 2002

We were parked at the end of the wall, near the Mortelo Tower with another couple of vans. About 2 am we were awakened by people banging on the van sides and window ..
I got up and went to investigate to see a car speeding off.. When I examined the van in daylight it had suffered a few dents.. but worst of all, a cracked Sietz window.. :Angry:

Since then we have never wild camped in the UK .. just cannot relax and as said it's not worth it to save the price of a CL ..

In France we always use aires and in three years full time never had a problem..

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Right.
An earlier post said something about being 'egged', l replied stating that even on our local permitted site for MHs and RVs we had eggs thrown at some of them, indicating that even in the relative quietness of the IOM, 'dick heads' emerge.
Ralf and Bev asked where to get the permits, hence my reply.

Craig

It is OK Craig :thumb: on my first reading I was trying to think of a Ramsey near to or in Whitby but could not /did not know of any place near to Whitby ::bigsmile: I was not sure if I had missed a place near to Whitby that I did not know about ::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back