BEWARE!! Warranties on base vehicles (1 Viewer)

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
This may all be common knowledge but I thought I would warn prospective purchasers of brand new motorhomes that they may not be getting the base vehicle warranty that the dealer claims you get........you may think that when you buy a brand new motorhome, your new pride and joy will carry a standard base vehicle warranty in addition to the warranty on the habitation area. It's not quite as simple as that......when the convertors (companies like Adria / Autosleeper / Burstner etc etc etc) buy the base vehicles from the Renault / Fiat / Peugeot etc factories, the warranty starts running from THEN, not from when you buy it a year or two or more later.......so, in effect, your "brand new" purchase may only have a few months remaining on the base vehicle manufacturers warranty.

In extreme cases, if a new vehicle was delayed in the factory and stood on a forecourt for another season, there may be nomanufacturers base vehicle warranty left on it!!!

Our Adria's cab aircon stopped working en route home from the Bubblecar Meet last weekend, and I managed to book it in to a Renault dealer: he immediately checked the warranty remaining and it runs out this month!! even though we purchased it in March 2007!! Renault EU vehicles have 2 year warranties, UK based ones 3, ours a mere 16 months!!! We were certainly missold on this aspect as the m/h dealer was very vocal about the warranties.

BEWARE!! Insist that the MH dealer check the remaining warranty on your base vehicle, give this to you in writing, and then negotiate a top-up warranty from them before you seal a deal!!!

:whatthe::Angry::Eeek:

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I had this with Fiat. Thames said the warrantee on the 656 was up last April. Told them it was less than 2 years old, they asked for a copy of the V5 and sent it to Fiat. Van warrantee runs out next April now. Warantee runs from first registration. HTH

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Cannot see that applying as it would affect ALL VEHICLES, cars, vans. lorries, whatever.

Warranty must start from date of first REGISTRATION to end user.

Regards

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
camcondor

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Cannot see that applying as it would affect ALL VEHICLES, cars, vans. lorries, whatever.

Warranty must start from date of first REGISTRATION to end user.

Regards

Sadly it doesn't, Peter - certainly not with Renault, in any event. And I understand other makes have a similar issue. I might try to get an "official" response from Renault or Adria but am cynical, I must say. What SHOULD be the case certainly isn't necessarily so!!

Laurie

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
The warranty cannot start on a new vehicle when it is delivered to a retailer or converter or even when it was manufactured.

I can see Trading Standards having a field day with that one !

OP
OP
camcondor

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
I think I may have a go at it as it is simply not right or fair and I don't know how Renault and the others get away with it!!!

Laurie

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
When we bought our Dethleffs on a Fiat in September 2006 the dealer (Lowdhams) told us that the warranty was dated several months earlier:whatthe: but that they were going to tell Dethleffs about the purchase date so they could advise Fiat:thumb:. As it happened Dethleffs didn't do it at first:Angry: and when my local Fiat place told me that it was still the original date I contacted Lowdhams who had a quick curse about Dethleffs:swear: and promised to get it sorted. They did and my warranty runs from our date of purchase::bigsmile::thumb:::bigsmile:

That's our experience with this issue

John

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Base warranty

Hi

I am not sure you are totally correct, Laurie.

My Multijet based Swift was registered with the DVLA in July 2007, yet the Fiat warranty showed as starting some month earlier on the Fiat computer. A short phone call and a photocopy of the log book later, and Fiat UK amended their records and confirmed the same in writing.

I find it implausible that Renault would be different as if you read their warranty statement etc etc.

R

OP
OP
camcondor

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Hi Russell, nice to see you about again - are you in a new m/h again? Do tell!!

The Renault dealer doing the warranty repair on the aircon told me my warranty expires later this month, even though I only bought it in March 2007 and the V5 obviously shows this. He said that loads of people buying new MHs are affected in this way and that "nothing can be done about it."

However, I will try to contact Renault UK or Adria at Long Melford (these are Euro made vans, remember, not UK, so the base vehicles are European and not UK sourced, apparently that makes a difference.)to clarify, as it seems somewhat arbitrary and a complete ripoff if this is indeed the case.

Happy travles, hope to meet up again :Smile:

Laurie

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Warranty

Hi

It seems we were testing our warranties with the same issue!

I took my motorhome to Piccadilly Motors in Ripon last September and stated the aircon was not cooling. They regassed it and claimed under the Fiat warranty. During the conversation, the dates of the warranty were discussed and that is how I became aware of a "mix-up" with the dates.

I spoke to Fiat UK who advised me to send in a copy of the log book and they would reset their records.

On a similar theme, have a walk past a Renault car dealer. There will be brand new unregistered cars there awaiting sale. The warranty will start on the day the car is first registered.

I am sure you will get it sorted out, otherwise, as Peter states, trading standards would have a field day.

R

OP
OP
camcondor

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Just to update those interested:

Phoned Renault UK today who state that their warranty indeed starts from when the base is supplied to the convertor and that they refuse to change it. They say the convertor is the "first purchaser" and that the buyer of a brand new motorhome is in fact buyong a "used" vehicle which only carries the remainder of the Renault factory warranty .........refused to put me through to a more senior colleague as the "matter was too trivial, and is in fact cut-and-dried." Also refused to confirm this in writing.

Result: I have now written to Trading Standards and await the reply. Any more useful info would be appreciated - obviously, this issue will affect many. many purchasers of "new" motorhomes, especially if this is Renault UKs official line as so many new vehicles are now using a Renault Master base. :Sad::Sad:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Just to update those interested:

Phoned Renault UK today who state that their warranty indeed starts from when the base is supplied to the convertor and that they refuse to change it. They say the convertor is the "first purchaser" and that the buyer of a brand new motorhome is in fact buyong a "used" vehicle which only carries the remainder of the Renault factory warranty .........refused to put me through to a more senior colleague as the "matter was too trivial, and is in fact cut-and-dried." Also refused to confirm this in writing.

Result: I have now written to Trading Standards and await the reply. Any more useful info would be appreciated - obviously, this issue will affect many. many purchasers of "new" motorhomes, especially if this is Renault UKs official line as so many new vehicles are now using a Renault Master base. :Sad::Sad:
Utter hogwash,using there generalisations every thing you buy in Tecos is second hand new consumer protection rules have come into force to stop precisely this sort of con, and thats the right word for it.
Imagin taking you new washing machine back to Comet,after 5 weeks only to be told its been in stock in the shop 11 months and the warranty ran out a week ago and anyhow it was second hand when you bought it:Angry:
Geo £10 says you win:thumb:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
ok so we have fiat based with engine problems, and Renault based with warrentee problems. Looks like Ford or Mercedes left, no contest.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
camcondor

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Geo, I completely agree, but am a bit concerned about Trading Standards initial response - I got a phone call back from an old duffer at TS who really didn't seem to understand the issue, but I had already completed the letter to them and advised him to wait for it, after which someone there who reads it will hopefully understand the issue. Not rocket science, really, and yes, it would mean that when goods left the factory, if a warranty started then, it may be completely useless by the time you buy the "new" item at the retailer or motor dealer, who may have had it on their shop floor for a year or more by the time it's purchased!!

Renault defend themselves by stating that if the vehicle is bought directly from them, they provide the full 2 year warranty (3 years for UK vans, 2 years for EU vans). I pointed out that they don't sell motorhomes, many of which are now based on their Master van base, but they didn't accept this - their stance is they "sold" the van to the "first purchaser", in this case Adria, and that is when the warranty begins, not with the first registration of the vehicle. Am trying to get an address to write to them as well, but their Customer Disservices are remaining tight-lipped about an address to write to......:Angry:

Adria are unavailable for comment as they are of course lounging on their very lengthy summer vacation due to all the profits provided by the consumers!!!

I expect that if Renault can behave in this manner without any comebacks, then the motorhome dealer missold the vehicle by stating that it held a full 2 year base vehicle warranty in addition to Adria's habitation warranty.

Will update this as more info is available.

Laurie

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Renault warranty

Hi

This is appalling. Fiat only for me then with the new van.

Laurie - post or PM any contact details you have for Renault and I will give them some pan handle today. This is one for Watchdog I feel...

R

OP
OP
camcondor

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Hi Russell, I think you are right - there is a MUCH wider issue here than just a few months warranty on my own van - it affects a very large number of manufacturers using Renault base vehicles as they are proving very popular. No-one wants a variable "warranty" dictated by when a motorhome manufacturer buys a base from Renault, which may prove to be anything from a few months to nothing at all!!!
In that case, motorhome manufacturers must either shun Renault bases or arrange top-up warranties to match normal base vehicle warranties themselves.

Renault UK details:

Customer (Dis)services
Renault UK
The Rivers Office Park
Denham Way
Maple Cross
Rickmansworth
Hertfordshire
WD3 9YS

I have written to Renault, Trading Standards and BCS Motorhomes (dealer I purchased from) so far. Intend to write to Adria in Long Melford and considered WHICH? Magazine as well. Further help would be appreciated as this is an issue which affects increasing numbers and will only get worse. Dealers are misselling at present, as they are selling the new vans with "full 2 year mechanical base vehicle warranty" - I don't think they are necessarily even aware of Renault's stance on this issue!!!

Roll on Watchdog!!!:Angry::Angry:

Laurie

OP
OP
camcondor

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Ah yes, the old Clio-bonnet-flying-open saga - it ran most of last year with very vague responses from Renault as to how the bonnet catch needed "maintenance" which all these neglectful owners failed to do. It was a regular on Watchdog!!

Well, now their "look quick there goes(went) your warranty" policy can take over!!!!:ROFLMAO:

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Renault

Hi

As I am presently without a motorhome, I am sort of interested in this thread as there is a slight - and only slight possibility that my next van could be on a Renault.

I phoned Renault at Watford and, despite not hearing what I wanted to hear, I was impressed by the fact the advisor answered my questions clearly and concisely.

It seems that, as Laurie suggests, the Renault warranty starts when the vehicle is sold to the first purchaser. This is clearly different to the date of first registration etc. I do not think that trading standards could assist as, the wording of the policy document as read out to me was clear, and not confusing or misleading in any way.

I am speechless and it goes without saying, my money will not be heading towards France.

Russell

Note - it is worth checking with each convertor what the warranty position is. A Swift motorhome for example comes on a Fiat chassis. The Fiat side has a two year warranty as standard, but Swift foot the bill to increase this to three years. I would like to know what Lunar, Dethleffs and so on do where their conversions sit on a Renault chassis.

Edit - a further thought though.....the first registered keeper is the one on the log book. So, in your case Laurie, and anyone else affected, does the convertor appear on the log book?

Last edited:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi,

Any new MH coming to a dealer is totally UNREGISTERD, the dealer registers it with DVLA once sold to the FIRST RETAIL purchaser.

Renault are up a gum tree. it doesnt happen when a car or a van is SOLD to a DEALER so why should it happen when a MH is sold to a converter.

Ask them to pick the onions out of that one.

According to Renault, the first owner is Converter, second owner is Dealer and poor old Retail customer is the THIRD OWNER.

Load of hairy ********s in my book

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Renault

Peter

I asked lots of open questions and the advisor answered them all giving reasons why cars - or even a van ordered at a Renault UK dealer - had warranties starting on the date of first registration.

I think it is all in the wording of the small print.

R

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Peter

I asked lots of open questions and the advisor answered them all giving reasons why cars - or even a van ordered at a Renault UK dealer - had warranties starting on the date of first registration.

I think it is all in the wording of the small print.

R

Whilst I am certainly not a legal eagle, I would imagine that under some Act or another, Sale of Goods, Trade Descriptions Act AND Unfair Contracts something, should someone contest the small print Renault will have their trousers taken down and be given a severe spanking.

Warranties apply to RETAIL PURCHASERS not Trade or Wholesale Distributors.

OP
OP
camcondor

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Just to confirm, Russell, that my V5 confirms "declared new at registration", so NO previous registration.

Peter, it would be invaluable if you were able to check, as a dealer, what the situation would be on new Renault-based motorhomes you take into stock from different factories, if you in fact do this ever. Or to check with a dealer colleague what they do re the warranty on Renault based vans.

I may try to get one of the MH magazines interested in investigating this, although they are mostly so up the A$%^& of dealers that they are likely to fob it off as trivial.

I think Which? Magazine may be a good bet on this one.

Laurie:Eeek:

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Renault

Hi

I have just had a look at Campbell's website and it states the chassis has a two year warranty.

See link

Link Removed

No doubt there then.

Russell

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi Laurie,

We dont get involved in 'French Imports' we are British and proud and support Brtitish Companies and only buy new Swifts.

All our Hire MH's are Swift and we have full 3 year Fiat waranties on them irrespective of when Swift got them.

Peter

OP
OP
camcondor

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Russell, the good news is that the ALKO chassis'ed Adria chassis' carry a 10 year warranty :Smile: pity about the base!

Peter, Adria are Slovenian, not French. :winky: And the wider issue affects numerous motorhome builders across the board as the Renault Master is actually a great base vehicle - no reverse judder, no rusty engines etc etc. I think I'd rather take the chance on a Master than have the dreaded reversing judder and rusting up under the bonnet due to poor engine design and build!!! Because it is such a good base vehicle, this whole warranty issue has not really come to the fore to any extent.

The build quality of the Adria far surpasses many UK made vans, and the only recent UK made A class, the ill-fated Autotrail Grande Frontier, only survived 2 seasons in direct competition with the Continental A classes - what a badly designed, badly built and overpriced van it appeared to be when we went to look at it before deciding on the Adria. There's something amiss with the industry in the UK, which is seemingly unable to build a good quality, reasonably priced A Class - not like there's no demand for it!!! Just look at the numbers of Hymers, Dethleffs, N&B, Rapidos, etc here. I would have bought British if there had been anything worth buying in A class, as I'm sure many others would have too!!!

Anyway, we digress......we could always open another thread on this one!!!
I guess many Fiats need every bit of the three year warranty that Swift offers on the mechanical side judging from comments posted about some of them on various forums:ROFLMAO: Fiat isn't exactly a "proud British" brand anyway :Eeek: Neither was Swift until Russell changed their way of thinking !!!!!! Funny how the past seems to pale away.......:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
As somebody who is in the process of buying a Renault based motorhome I am getting concerned:Sad: I decided to steer clear of Fiat because of the gearbox issue & Fiat refusing to accept that it is a problem. The vehicle I am buying is new unregistered but I don't have any details such as vin so there is no way I will know how much warranty if any is left.

My last van was on a Fiat 2.8 JTD, registered as new in 2006, the vehicle was manufactured in 2003 (I knew this & it was a bargain) I think the Fiat cab was actually 2002!!
I didn't think about the warranty issue until after about a year & after a few calls to Fiat I was told the warranty had run out but if I sent details & a copy of my V5 they would re-instate the warranty to the date I registered the vehicle.:thumb:

After reading this I also rang Renault & was told first that motorhome are converted & don't have any warranty :Eeek: then after checking he said it was from the date it was delivered to the factory:Eeek::Eeek:.
What do I do as I am still in the process of buying, I could find I am getting a van with no warranty at all :cry: I was buying a new van so I would have some protection with a warranty.

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
As somebody who is in the process of buying a Renault based motorhome I am getting concerned:Sad: I decided to steer clear of Fiat because of the gearbox issue & Fiat refusing to accept that it is a problem. The vehicle I am buying is new unregistered but I don't have any details such as vin so there is no way I will know how much warranty if any is left.

My last van was on a Fiat 2.8 JTD, registered as new in 2006, the vehicle was manufactured in 2003 (I knew this & it was a bargain) I think the Fiat cab was actually 2002!!
I didn't think about the warranty issue until after about a year & after a few calls to Fiat I was told the warranty had run out but if I sent details & a copy of my V5 they would re-instate the warranty to the date I registered the vehicle.:thumb:

After reading this I also rang Renault & was told first that motorhome are converted & don't have any warranty :Eeek: then after checking he said it was from the date it was delivered to the factory:Eeek::Eeek:.
What do I do as I am still in the process of buying, I could find I am getting a van with no warranty at all :cry: I was buying a new van so I would have some protection with a warranty.

Can you not make it a part of the deal that the supplier provides an insurance backed warranty to cover the shortfall from the manufacturers?? I would have thought dealers will be bending over backwards to sell any vehicle with the way the economy is going!!

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
It is certainly something I will be asking for or I might decide not to go ahead. While looking for issuses relating to this I found Link Removed On the first page it says
'Warranty for a period of 24 months, without limitation of mileage, from the date your vehicle is delivered (the "Delivery Date") to you (the "Customer") as shown in the Warranty and Maintenance Booklet (the "Warranty Booklet"), given to you when you take delivery of the Vehicle.'

That seems OK then on page 6 under Renault Vehicle Conversion
' "Warranties" will only apply and claims will only be accepted in connection with parts of the Vehicle that have not been modified by or affected by a third party conversion.
Customers are advised to ask the relevant third party for details in relation to any warranty they may offer.'
Should this cover all the mecahnical parts as these shouldn't be modified by the convertor??

Needless to say I will be making quite a few phone calls to try to get some clarity about this. On another forum I have been reading about Renault it said that MH conversions are something to do with the car division not the van & truck part of Renault :cry: why can't anything be simple, we are spending a lot of money buying a MH but we are treated worse than somebody buying the cheapest car they make:Angry:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
'Warranty for a period of 24 months, without limitation of mileage, from the date your vehicle is delivered (the "Delivery Date") to you (the "Customer") as shown in the Warranty and Maintenance Booklet (the "Warranty Booklet"), given to you when you take delivery of the Vehicle.'

End of conversation! Well done in finding that.:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back