BEWARE Vodafone scam (1 Viewer)

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Ralph has had his Vodafone business account hacked. Yesterday we recieved an email saying thanks for adding services to our account. Namely 3 more busness packages and a blackberry phones:whatthe:
I thought it was another junk email . as like many people we get several a day from various banks and Nigerians.
Fortunately i didn't just delete it. Ralph checked it out .

He was told that unfortunately , the whole business account would have to be closed and new numbers for the genuine phones on it issued. :whatthe:

"Hang on a minute ," he says "you cant do that. Its my business. The telephone number is on all my cards , advertising , vehicles etc.:Angry:"
"Its all we can do, sir , Im sorry." says the lady at Vodafone.

Anyway , eventually she saw sense , and just froze the 3 new phones that had been added.
They are looking into it ( hopefully ) as i post , and will get back to us.
I dont know how they have done it , whether it could only happen to a busness account holder or private as well , where or when.
So ..... If you get an email saying similar , dont just delete it :thumb:
Bev

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
I had a similar issue with my Iphone or should I say Itunes account being hacked just before Christmas. My research showed tht it was in fact a very easy thing to do. All it involves is people at a call centre in China, Brazil, India, (insert foreign land) selling on your details.

My customer fraud representative told me that in China, you can buy account details on its own ebay type site. They will then use this info to hack and set up an account. The 3 charlies that have obtained the phones on your account will simply, use as much as they can as often as they can until they are found out. Often to call back to India, china, (again insert fraud country) until it is stopped and then do the same with another poor unsuspecting honest hard working person. :Angry::Angry:

Worse still, is there is very little you can do about it other than ensure you keep a regular check on your activity.

Mine was done for £60 on 3 seperate occasions, they used my account to purchase Itunes gift vouchers.:Angry:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Paul

Not only overseas call centre, try the UK..

At one time Nat West had a team of investigators interviewing staff, 52 weeks of the year as to why they had accessed footballers accounts from a famous club up north.

Banks send endless teams to investigate 'data leakage' in India etc.

I visited a bank in Bradford only to point out to the Fraud manager that one of his staff was wearing an electronic tag.

Border Agency staff involved in negotiation to buy anti fraud package turned out to be here illegal.

It would make your hair curl, I may write a book about it all one day,,,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Paul

Not only overseas call centre, try the UK..

At one time Nat West had a team of investigators interviewing staff, 52 weeks of the year as to why they had accessed footballers accounts from a famous club up north.

Banks send endless teams to investigate 'data leakage' in India etc.

I visited a bank in Bradford only to point out to the Fraud manager that one of his staff was wearing an electronic tag.

Border Agency staff involved in negotiation to buy anti fraud package turned out to be here illegal.

It would make your hair curl, I may write a book about it all one day,,,

not mine it wouldn't, Jims got more than me :winky:

But I will certainly appraise the book for you.:thumb:

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Well i called into the Vodafone shop today on my way to TKmaxx.
The manager says its quite a common thing . :whatthe: Vodafone will block the blackberry's so they will be useless to anyone.
The thief's will have had 3 days worth of use off them. We wont be charged anything. So thats ok. Annoying though, I hope we get to know how and where it was done.
Bev

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
You do not need to be in India or China etc.,

Today, Apple.com ..yes the real pika Apple that makes the IPhone, IPad etc., took £64 from my bank account.

They promised to refund me two weeks back for keypads returned.. The funds would be in my account today.. Checked.. No credits but another debit for £64

Ave spent hours trying to get Apple in Ireland to sort the mess out. They say they will refund that payment as well. Yea!

As I paid by a visa debt card I have the right to challenge the charge and Abbey has put the payment in to dispute and recalled it. Good job I check my on lie bank account every day.

They are as bad as scammers.. They think they are a law until themselves.

If the honest Indians cannot sort there act out how are they to police the really bad apples ..pun intended.

Bob:Angry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Today, Apple.com ..yes the real pika Apple that makes the IPhone, IPad etc., took £64 from my bank account.

They promised to refund me two weeks back for keypads returned.. The funds would be in my account today.. Checked.. No credits but another debit for £64

Ave spent hours trying to get Apple in Ireland to sort the mess out. They say they will refund that payment as well. Yea!

As I paid by a visa debt card I have the right to challenge the charge and Abbey has put the payment in to dispute and recalled it. Good job I check my on lie bank account every day.

They are as bad as scammers.. They think they are a law until themselves.

If the honest Indians cannot sort there act out how are they to police the really bad apples ..pun intended.

Bob:Angry:

been there, can't phone, emails only, 48 hour responses at a time. You have my full sympathy.

I will never buy another apple product because of their appaling customer services. :Angry:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back