Beware the speed gantry cams on the M25 are now officially switched on.. (1 Viewer)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Yep. They all ignore it.

Now they're all also getting the new three lane bit past Kettering wrong as well. The inside lane is supposedly for traffic hopping on and off between the three Kettering junctions. The lorries are sitting in that lane and changing lanes at the last second, usually without looking, when the realise they're in the wrong lane.
Yes, found that out as well.........

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Did 20 miles on the M25 yesterday and 20 miles today, very smooth stayed in the middle lane most of the way, majority were sticking to the limit didn't see a single cam flash.(y)
Thought you were risking retribution for posting that:whistle:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Big bus man

Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
As I previously said .you speed and get caught you get fined..end of story..
I have a clean licence but I do 32 in a 30 zone, on the motorway 80mph is normal but I don't drive a company van at 90mph in the fast lane, I don't fly between the camera and break to cross the hatch markings as I go past them, the point is they always seem to get away with doing that yet if I on that one occasion did it I would be the one getting caught. Khizzie I agree fully with your quote but I don't agree with the government using our tax to pay for multi-million pounds worth of equipment to slow these careless drivers down.
The obvious answer is to have a 'black box' in every car to act like lorry tacho's, after all the technology is already there in your sat-nav or mobile phone, with ANPR you would not need cameras, just regular police stop check points.

Big bus man

Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
Hey you lot...stop taking the pee out of Crawley, it has everything a man could want; airport next door; a multiplex; Olympic size swimming pool; a modern shopping complex; Screwfix; tool station; and an Ann Summers!! ::bigsmile:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Hey you lot...stop taking the pee out of Crawley, it has everything a man could want; airport next door; a multiplex; Olympic size swimming pool; a modern shopping complex; Screwfix; tool station; and an Ann Summers!! ::bigsmile:
Do they do much in your size? :whistle::LOL:;)

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
[There was a previous thread about lorries overtaking each other and causing tremendous tailbacks. I noticed on a recent trip to Osnabruck that forbidding lorries from overtaking for mile after mile of motorway results in all lorries travelling at a steady speed, with reasonable gaps between each vehicle. Why bunch up and breathe fumes if you can't get past? Cars/MHs can slip into and out of lanes allowing their variations in speed to aid the passage of each other. With a bit of imagination things can get better!][/QUOTE]

Some years back they ran an experiment on the M42 which banned trucks from overtaking during "daylight" hours. What happened to that? anyone know?

Pete

Big bus man

Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
Well, what can I say GJH :lipssealed: I gentleman never tells :giggler: anyway we don't have a toys R us....enough said :roflmto:

Reactions: GJH

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Yes. I was right pi$$ed off, if you look, as hard as I try it will not pass 300, damned speed limiter ruining my fun.
Must have blown the bicycle clips clean off...........

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Yes. I was right pi$$ed off, if you look, as hard as I try it will not pass 300, damned speed limiter ruining my fun.
Somewhere on one of my hard drives is the vid I took on a rather breathed upon Bird ( bored out to 1200 and with a big silver bottle attached under the seat ;) )
I kept the GPS I was using for years after the event.. It aint often you see a top speed logged of 227 mph ( 365 kph )
And nooo.. I aint gonna say where or when it was !!

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Somewhere on one of my hard drives is the vid I took on a rather breathed upon Bird ( bored out to 1200 and with a big silver bottle attached under the seat ;) )
I kept the GPS I was using for years after the event.. It aint often you see a top speed logged of 227 mph ( 365 kph )
And nooo.. I aint gonna say where or when it was !!
You would have been ok driving through speed cams at that speed. According to top gear, they dont see you at over 170mph....(y)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
That is correct..
At Bruntingthorpe doing a foto shoot with Performance Bike mag, they were trying out a new speed camera.
Lots of suits and a few scrambled egg type plod in attendance

At 172mph ( on the gps, almost 190 on the speedo... Typical Honda ! ) all they got was one picture.
By the time the 2nd was taken the bike was out of the frame
At 205mph the camera never saw the bike at all !

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Some years back they ran an experiment on the M42 which banned trucks from overtaking during "daylight" hours. What happened to that? anyone know?
Still running, as far as I know. Been a while since I went that way; combination of the improved A46 & a lot of road works round Nottingham made it an unattractive route, but last time I did go, I think it was still in operation.

EDIT: Thinking about it, was it on the M42 or was it further north, where it reverts to the A42 dual-carridgeway?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Still running, as far as I know. Been a while since I went that way; combination of the improved A46 & a lot of road works round Nottingham made it an unattractive route, but last time I did go, I think it was still in operation.

EDIT: Thinking about it, was it on the M42 or was it further north, where it reverts to the A42 dual-carridgeway?
I can't remember whether it is M42 or A42 (it is only 2 lanes in each direction) and what the hours are but there is certainly a stretch where lorries are banned from overtaking at certain times. We were down that way for the NEC show last month.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I can't remember whether it is M42 or A42 (it is only 2 lanes in each direction) and what the hours are but there is certainly a stretch where lorries are banned from overtaking at certain times. We were down that way for the NEC show last month.

So Obviously still running then? and you ARE right it WAS the A42 section NOT the M42. (from J10 to the M1). Haven't been that way since the A46 was fully dual`d from Newark to Leicester, as most of the places I go are better served by that route AND avoids large sections of M1 Road works at "Boring" 50mph!. (whoever thinks that having MILES of Motorway restricted to 50 with NOTHING happening in large sections of the So Called "Improvements" is conducive to Road safety"?) It`s just laziness as "they" don't have to keep rolling the Restrictions. It should be mandatory Maximum 1mile either end of the section ACTUALLY being worked on NO MORE!. NOT 21Miles as was the case recently on the M1.

Pete

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Haven't been that way since the A46 was fully dual`d from Newark to Leicester, as most of the places I go are better served by that route
Likewise, although if/when the road works between Nottingham & East Midlands airport are finished, that route should come back into contention again when heading for the bottom half of the M42.

Saint76

Free Member
Jan 10, 2014
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
8years
Been on M25 today and the overhead gantry cameras are definitely operational when the Reduced speed signals are operational .
travelling east bound and can see camera flashes on overhead gantries as vehicles that are speeding passed westward.
The cameras flashed four times as we travelled towards them twice in quick succession on one of the cameras. And only once on the other two cameras.
Upon looking across at gantry display 70mph had been reduced to 40mph.
Unsure as to wether the cameras are operational if speeding over 70mph.
Also working on M6 toll M42 intersection as my wallet can now Testify!!!!!!(south bound) 70mph reduced to 40mph on this occasion also.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
How do they discriminate between ME in the N-S lane doing the Limit. and D-H`d in the O/s lane doing 90?. It would / Could still show my No Plate.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/474942/Driver-hit-with-speeding-fine-despite-car-parked

I guess this proves it can happen!. and even if revoked demands the Hassle of Appeal et;.

Pete
The human who comes up with a "cure" for human error in all circumstances will be onto a winner. Until then we have to accept that it happens and there is only cause for complaint when the error isn't properly dealt with.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
In my experience tha could well be down to the similar proportion of ignorance with which they are approached by members of the public :LOL:

In my Experience, they are Mostly Overpaid, Under worked, and Especially, Civil Servants neither Civil NOR Servile!.

But Hey!! That an opinion, Born of experience of many years having to deal with them. Which may not be shared by others, but "YOU" see as "YOU" find.!

Pete

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back