Beware the speed gantry cams on the M25 are now officially switched on.. (1 Viewer)

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Again, similar to the parking thread. What's the problem?

If you want to take the risk of exceeding the speed limit and you get caught then you have nothing to complain about.

If you don't want to get caught, don't speed. Not exactly rocket science is it?

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
I don't agree with workers being able to take their company vans home as it clogs up our streets and these drivers don't have to pay to run them. Back to the point, it has been these van drivers and company car owners that travel at excessive speed

How does the van driver get home, plus the van is the only way they can do thier job so why should they pay tax on the van. Good to know that it is only company cars thst speed. What a load of tosh.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The Police using speed cameras as revenue generation ?
Wait a bit while I try to look surprised :giggler::giggler:
If they did there would be far more white van drivers banned after racking up 12 points. Every time we venture onto the A19 we can guarantee that there will be vans doing well in excess of 60 mph. The reason they get away with it is that there are no speed cameras in use. If police or government wanted an easy source of revenue they would install ANPR speed cameras.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I don't agree with workers being able to take their company vans home as it clogs up our streets and these drivers don't have to pay to run them.

Not correct actually. If you have a work van that you are allowed to take home and use to commute to and from work that is now taxable as a benefit in kind, similar to company car tax but at a much lower fixed rate. It has been this way for about 5 years.

The only people who this doesn't apply to are those on 24 hour call out who obviously need their vehicle to be wherever they are.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Like many of you I remember the days when driving was fun, the days when a family owned just one car. Everyone deserves to own a vehicle but only if they can afford to run it, I don't agree with workers being able to take their company vans home as it clogs up our streets and these drivers don't have to pay to run them. Back to the point, it has been these van drivers and company car owners that travel at excessive speed and shoot down side roads to beat the traffic so as a result cameras are being used to slow them down etc. but it is the law abiding that suffer because a minor lack in concentration and we pass a waiting camera, not the habitual speeders. With average speed cameras on motorways many still drive to avoid the cameras and seem to get away with it, on roadworks these cameras seem to work though, frustrating it is as they often go on for miles. If these M25 cameras are set to 72mph it will eventually slow everyone down and we may get proper traffic flow for once but surely the authorities can't prosecute for 72mph as that does not allow for the 10% speedo error in some vehicles. My van at 60 the sat-nav says 57, which one is accurate!!
Correct me if I'm wrong but speedometers are legally not permitted to under read the speed. Manufacturers build in a bit of contingency to allow for variables and errors so this is why your speedo will over read, but never under read. Therefore no issue with setting at 72 mph or whatever.

In some countries you will be prosecuted for just 1kmh over the limit.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
If they did there would be far more white van drivers banned after racking up 12 points. Every time we venture onto the A19 we can guarantee that there will be vans doing well in excess of 60 mph. The reason they get away with it is that there are no speed cameras in use. If police or government wanted an easy source of revenue they would install ANPR speed cameras.
The specs phased average speed cameras really do work in controlling the traffic (though you still see people speeding past, braking hard for the camera and then speeding up again) - I'd like to see more of them on busy sections; including the A19 where I've been tailgated by WVM more than a few times

Reactions: GJH

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
The answer may be to use my Texas Drivers Licence? No that wont work? Texas No Plates?. THAT could be the answer?:whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle: Wouldn't look right though on a EuroBox. James Bond style rotating plates?.

Didn`t someone invent a plate that Camera`s could`nt recognise? Or is that another urban myth?. Ah!! Boll***s , Just drive inside the limit!.

On the serious side, Another "pet hate" outside of Tail-gaters, same thing really, you are comfortable at (say) 50 and the D888Head behind drives right up the exhaust pipe because "IT" wants to be going faster. Happens a lot on Non Dual roads!, really p888s me off!, used to happen a lot in the wagons before they sensibly raised the limit to 50mph ONLY sensible thing they have EVER done IMHO.

Pete

Big bus man

Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
Companies like BT and the delivery people once had carparks that they stored their vehicles in, like others you would have to drive into work to get your van. On the other point about company car drivers speeding then yes is sounds 'tosh' but others are only speeding to keep with the flow. If you do 70mph on a motorway these days you are the slowest vehicle moving, so then look what is passing you at speed, company vans and single occupant car drivers.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I used to laugh when I saw the 50mph sections on the M25. I sometimes wondered if it was a target or an aspiration like the politicians talk about.... :rofl::rofl::rofl:

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
Do any of you guys do 60k+ miles a year average? It's very difficult to constantly remain within the speed limit , the guys in their white vans are out there earning an honest living ,vans regardless of their colour are nesesarry, we need to carry tools and spare parts ,and as for parking outside in the street ,my van is legally parked on the street and that's where it should be
most van drivers would love to have their vans parked in a garage ,my tools cost a few bob and I'd rather not have them nicked by some non working scroat

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I'd like to see more of them on busy sections; including the A19 where I've been tailgated by WVM more than a few times

Average speed sections cause more bunching/tailgating than anything else. They create one big plug of metal. Though I have to say I've not seen any accidents.

Big bus man

Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
Average speed sections cause more bunching/tailgating than anything else. They create one big plug of metal. Though I have to say I've not seen any accidents.
That's true, most of the accidents I see are lorries that pull out where the speed differential between the traffic is vast or lone vehicles that I assume should have taken a break during their long journey.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Do any of you guys do 60k+ miles a year average? It's very difficult to constantly remain within the speed limit , the guys in their white vans are out there earning an honest living ,vans regardless of their colour are nesesarry, we need to carry tools and spare parts ,and as for parking outside in the street ,my van is legally parked on the street and that's where it should be
most van drivers would love to have their vans parked in a garage ,my tools cost a few bob and I'd rather not have them nicked by some non working scroat
It may be very difficult to constantly remain within the speed limit but that s a totally different matter from a van driver doing 70mph or more on a dual carriageway where his maximum speed is 60 mph.
I don't do anything like 60k+ miles a year but one of our sons does in his works van and one of his constant bugbears is van drivers who make to attempt to stay within their limit.

Big bus man

Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
I can't always point the blame in van drivers because My father-in-law works for DHL, he is paid a set sum for a given number of hours (no overtime) and unless he does the motorways between 70-80mph he can't do his run in that time and as most of this type of delivery vehicle is driven by poorly paid foreign folk who disrespect our highway laws anyway (;)) we will never win a battle to eradicate the issue of speeding without strict camera surveillance.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008

That's true, most of the accidents I see are lorries that pull out where the speed differential between the traffic is vast or lone vehicles that I assume should have taken a break during their long journey.

Not sure I agree with that one. Certainly it improved traffic flow on the A14 when they got rid of the numerous fixed cameras and replaced the whole lot from East to Cambridge to Huntingdon with average speed cameras. Nobody suddenly braking for a camera and then speeding up again.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I am thinking about roadworks cameras on the M1/A1.
Roadworks cameras - yes they do. On the other hand, my son is a civil engineer and when they were working on M4 their van was written off by a driver who did not see the big white transit with loads of flashing lights the other side of the cones in a 50 zone. Luckily nobody was inside. Bunching, yes - but also a lot safer overall

Reactions: GJH

Big bus man

Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
I am thinking about roadworks cameras on the M1/A1.
10 mile stretches at 50mph, it was great in the motorhome sitting high up with the cruise control on but try that in a car where you may have been approaching the roadworks at 80mph and you can imagine how frustrating it is, not knowing how long it will go on for and getting the odd vehicle slowly passing you even though you are dead on the limit but they do work, the workmen are safer.....if you are lucky enough to see any :tounge:
My theory is they should be only enough traffic cones for the number of men working on site, but no that won't work....can't do much with 10 cones!! :roflmto:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
The A140 from Norwich to Ipswich ( or visa versa :) ) was a notorious accident area.
So they reduced the speed limit for miles and miles to 50 for pretty much the whole length
Over the past few years the accident rate has steadily climbed and is now above what it used to be.
A study showed that with extended lower speed limits drivers tended to simply switch off.. completely loose concentration

The good thing is that deaths and serious injuries have indeed fallen ( at least according to available figures ) but over all the carnage has increased

make of that what you will !!
For me, I reckon folk do concentrate more when travelling at a higher speed..

As has been mentioned elsewhere ( by me :) ), if you want to seriously reduce accidents, remove air bags and replace them with steel spikes..
That would concentrate the mind no end !!!!!!!!!!!!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
10 mile stretches at 50mph, it was great in the motorhome sitting high up with the cruise control on but try that in a car where you may have been approaching the roadworks at 80mph and you can imagine how frustrating it is, not knowing how long it will go on for and getting the odd vehicle slowly passing you even though you are dead on the limit but they do work, the workmen are safer.....if you are lucky enough to see any :tounge:
My theory is they should be only enough traffic cones for the number of men working on site, but no that won't work....can't do much with 10 cones!! :roflmto:

Exactly . All & any road works should be 24/7 especially on the motorways. a year apart I 've been parked at the same sign stating " sorry for the inconvenience . we are working to improve your journey " No you are not It's Sunday & all you lazy barstewards that should be working 24/7 are at home whilst we are all parked up yet again.

The A140 from Norwich to Ipswich ( or visa versa :) ) was a notorious accident area.
So they reduced the speed limit for miles and miles to 50 for pretty much the whole length
Over the past few years the accident rate has steadily climbed and is now above what it used to be.
A study showed that with extended lower speed limits drivers tended to simply switch off.. completely loose concentration

The good thing is that deaths and serious injuries have indeed fallen ( at least according to available figures ) but over all the carnage has increased

make of that what you will !!
For me, I reckon folk do concentrate more when travelling at a higher speed..

As has been mentioned elsewhere ( by me :) ), if you want to seriously reduce accidents, remove air bags and replace them with steel spikes..
That would concentrate the mind no end !!!!!!!!!!!!

& as I've said a policy of no assistance & ensuring the road was opened before any casualties are dealt with would soon reduce accidents.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Read in the Times today that a senior person from the Department of Transport has told the Bedford police commissioner his plan to switch on speed cameras along his section of the M1 and issue speeding tickets for all vehicles going over 70 MPH is illegal. This is on the basis that speed cameras are a safety device and not installed for the purposes of raising revenue. I guess this would apply across the land.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
a senior person from the Department of Transport has told the Bedford police commissioner his plan to switch on speed cameras..............

In a word "FIGHT". Blackmail tactics from Police being slapped down.

Oct 25, 2015
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-4t
Exp
Since 2016
it appears that the ones on the Southern section 4 round to 8 or thereabouts are going to be average speed cameras. That's camera to camera well, not total journey. As has been said though it shouldn't really make a difference. They have average speed cams now from Northolt aerodrome on the A40 right into the Edgware Road, changing from 50 to 40 at the Hoover/Tesco building

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back