Beware sleeping gas gang (1 Viewer)

goodtimes

Free Member
Oct 14, 2010
Funster No
The gas threat is very real. I was woken by an alarm i fitted before we left on holiday. very freightening experience but after making lots of noise and going on like i meant business they ran away. i did not get out of the van but choose to drive away there and then. i got the alarm from Spammy Link removed Jim page link Spammy Link removed Jim
This was recomended by a freind who had one fitted but thankfully it was never needed

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
The gas threat is very real. I was woken by an alarm i fitted before we left on holiday. very freightening experience but after making lots of noise and going on like i meant business they ran away. i did not get out of the van but choose to drive away there and then. i got the alarm from Spammy Link removed Jim page link Spammy Link removed Jim

This was recomended by a freind who had one fitted but thankfully it was never needed
are you a trader by any chance, get real.

Hycon

Free Member
Oct 6, 2008
N.E Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
just starting
At that price the alarm looks like robbery by stealth::winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
The gas threat is very real. I was woken by an alarm i fitted before we left on holiday. very freightening experience but after making lots of noise and going on like i meant business they ran away. i did not get out of the van but choose to drive away there and then. i got the alarm from Spammy Link removed Jim

Sorry to learn of the attempt to rob your van. It must have been really frightening.

Where did this take place... Were you on a campsite? How many of you were inside the van?

Did the gas smell? There must have been some inside in order to set the alarm off.

Did it leave you with a headache?

When you reported to the police did they give you any idea if they were optimistic in catching the gang?

JJ

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988

Unfortunately large segments of the security industry use fake or inflated fear inducing stories to sell security products. I will assume that because this was your first post, and you placed two links to a product before you even introduced yourself that this post was one of those:RollEyes:

Maybe you good give a few more details about your experience without the commercial links. Thanks

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I strongly suspect my questions will remain unanswered...

Does "New Funster" mean he/she had to subscribe before posting this suspicious information?

JJ

ehuplad

Free Member
Feb 9, 2009
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby 600
Exp

I take it that your fridge was not working either, if it was how come the gas did not ignite.

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988

Does "New Funster" mean he/she had to subscribe before posting this suspicious information?

JJ

New Funster
= Someone who has just joined, they can see all of the site and post etc for 10 days or 5 posts whichever the sooner.

Funster A Funscriber

Funster, (Read Only)A funster that has used the free time and or posts but has yet subscribed,

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
l love the old gassing stories. They really make me smile.

Imagine the scene;

2nd robber. "Can we do a bank this time boss, and have millions in swag"?

Boss robber. "Don't be a dickhead! We only do motorhomes, and come away with a couple of hundred quid every time"! "Why on earth do we need to rob banks, winkle"!

2nd robber. "Sorry, l wasn't thinking".

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
l love the old gassing stories. They really make me smile.

Imagine the scene;

2nd robber. "Can we do a bank this time boss, and have millions in swag"?

Boss robber. "Don't be a dickhead! We only do motorhomes, and come away with a couple of hundred quid every time"! "Why on earth do we need to rob banks, winkle"!

2nd robber. "Sorry, l wasn't thinking".

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I managed to inadvertently offend and upset a couple of caravanners yesterday at the NEC show during the Practical motorhome/Practical caravan Q&A session. Said couple claimed to have been gassed in France this August. She gave a long and rambling tale of a windy and disturbed night during which they discovered the caravan door open...............so they closed it and went back to bed. In the morning they got up to discover the flyscreen on a side window had been cut and the car keys, caravan keys and his gold watch had been removed from the shelf near the window where they had been left (there's wise for you).
So he goes outside and discovers the car keys and the caravan keys on the ground by the side of the 'van. She goes to the loo block where she is "violently sick", they both claim they were groggy, headachy and disorientated (I guess discovering you've been burgled while you slept can have these effects), so much disorientation in fact that later that day on a shopping trip she couldn't decide whether to buy brown or black shoes (her words, go figure).

All I asked was "did you seek medical attention?" "NO" was the answer. "Why not?" I asked " we didn't know we'd been gassed till a couple of days later when someone else told us how it happens!".

Apart form the gold watch and caravan and car keys that were taken a travel rug was taken from the boot of the car but the prat nav was left on the passenger seat:Doh::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.

At the end of this discussion we managed to establish that the caravan windows had been left open too:Doh:.

And we're expected to believe this?:Eeek::Eeek: Why didn't the thieves just drive away with the nice big car?

But apparently, and according to a motorhomer who was in the audience I was aggressive and harsh in my response to them:Sad::Sad: (I wasn't but I was perhaps forthright with my questions.

D.

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
People look for the excuse Dave, they just don't think that is possible to be robbed while they sleep and the gas seems as good an explanation as ever, and a nice story to re-tell as well::bigsmile: It certainly is easy to be robbed whilst you sleep. No matter where you are in your van, ensure that all doors are locked when you retire, preferably with a deadbolt that can only be operated from the inside. Sweet dreams:Smile:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Absolutely Jim, and NEVER, EVER, EVER leave anything of any value within arms reach of an openable window or door, in this context "openable" refers to any aperture that can be opened with anything from a pen-knife to a brick or even a chainsaw:winky:.

D.

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
We were burgled whilst in France, they stole our canister of sleeping gas :Eeek: Couldn't sleep a wimk for yhe rest of the holiday :Smile:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We were robbed during the night while sleeping, a digital camera and cash was taken. we were in a first floor hotel room in Lanzarote. These tea leaves know their job no gas is needed , glad we didn't wake up to confront them.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I have been married since 1976 and I still have not got swmbo to part with her money they will need a lot more than gas to get her to open her purse:ROFLMAO:

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
l cannot believe that intelligent grown up people would leave a gold watch and keys on "display" near a caravan window, and leave the windows open too! If that was the case, why did these robbers bother with gas, do these muppets expect any rational person to believe such nonsense?

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp

And I bet you are a heavy sleeper:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

JJ

he's moved onto greener pastures to peddle his wares and drivel .. saw him on the darkside ..:RollEyes:

he won't be back here to pay his subs

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
aerosols

Many years ago when the rumours of gassing were starting I remember hearing a program on radio 4 where the issue was discussed.

I remember 2 things that were said by a somewhat reluctant "expert "

1. That the criminals were often from eastern europe and often used small young kids to gain entrance.

2. That the gas used was from an aerosol that was available in any town
for less than a tenner.

The guy refused to say what the product was as he thought it was
too sensitive.

I wonder if anyone else ever heard the programme.
And I wondered what product he may have been talking about.

I thought it might be brake cleaner.......or something like that that you might buy from a car accessory shop ?

I certainly heard the programme :)

barry

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Many years ago when the rumours of gassing were starting I remember hearing a program on radio 4 where the issue was discussed.

I remember 2 things that were said by a somewhat reluctant "expert "

1. That the criminals were often from eastern europe and often used small young kids to gain entrance.

2. That the gas used was from an aerosol that was available in any town
for less than a tenner.

The guy refused to say what the product was as he thought it was
too sensitive.

I wonder if anyone else ever heard the programme.
And I wondered what product he may have been talking about.

I thought it might be brake cleaner.......or something like that that you might buy from a car accessory shop ?

I certainly heard the programme :)

barry

Ethanol (brake cleaner)

As for gas attacks - they are a funny thing...almost like urban leg-ends.

Everyone knows someone who knows someone, but no-one knows anyone who has experienced it. So it is cautiously and regularly debated.

In the interests of our customers peace of mind, our vehicles are alarmed - they only cost 20 odd quid...and they sense other gases...like LPG, Carbon Monoxide...so useful for other things, like a leaky bottle, someone left the gas on etc

I have stopped in aires all over - some a little dodgy, but never had a problem other than noisey truck driver playing cards - not saying you will be safe - but I only have my experiences to go by.

Up to you - if £20 makes you sleep better, then go for it. Not a waste of money, as I said, it sense carbon monoxide as well - so useful for that.

DBSilverfox

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
Seems odd if it was ethanol, since that is a liquid, neat alcohol. I think I might wake up if someone squirted alcohol on my face :Smile:

Loddy

Free Member
Jul 5, 2008
south west
Funster No
MH
RV C class
Exp
4+ 30 years tugging
I reckon it could be CTC the old fire retardant, banned in UK but available who knows where ??

Loddy

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Whilst I have not personally been robbed (YET) or gassed I have come across two separate occasions when gas was supposedly used. One was on a girl travelling on a train and the other was by an elderly couple in a MH.
I have no proof gas was used but I would not call either of these people liars.

My comment is this, we have a safe (£30 Macro) in our MH that is under the bed I am sleeping on and all passports and second credit cards are in there. We never leave cash lying about in the MH except the few euros we might need for a day, we have never taken a computer abroad (I want a holiday) My wife is beautiful enough so I don't need to gild the lilly (even though her name is Sue); only a new personality will make me more attarctive, but then I don't think Sue could cope with the change so male jewellry is not a risk.
We wildcamp and secure the drivers door with the seat belts and have an independant alarm on the habitation door that is also obstructed by the unused cushions from the settee.

This sounds smug, doesn't it and if I were reading this rather than writing it I would be hoping I would get "done" to wipe the smug grin from my face. But all I am saying is I can't stop people mugging me but I can manage the consequences by reducing the potential loss.
A few hours extra sleep at no personal cost would not overly worry me whilst I am on holiday.
IMO take precautions wherever you park for the night in whatever country you are in.

Norman

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back