Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Not quite John
I have it sussed, it could well be happening and if it is, on balance it has to be the KGB doing it
Im afraid im with George on this one, judging by the numbers of reported cases someone would shurly have died or sufferd after effects that reqd hospital treatment that would involve identifying the agent used,------------ agent get it???? KGB:ROFLMAO:
Geo

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:Tongue1: Very droll Geo. This subject is one that George and I have agreed on many times. I have also made apologies to any who think they may have been gassed. I've been gassed many times by Sandy. :ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

G

GeorgeTelford

Deleted User
Even the most arrogant scientist would never claim anything as a 'fact' they would simply say that on the basis of the evidence available to them by diligent research or the evidence they had produced by experimentation they drew certain conclusions. They would always balance these conclusions by alternative possibilities or explanations and be prepared to discuss these and indeed be open to an alternative or modified opinion when new or different evidence is produced by other researchers or even themselves later.

I do claim it as fact, simple and obvious logic shows gassing to be nonsense, the evidence is already in, if you follow the following through to its logical conclusion you will see, if there was a miracle gas it would be used in hospital operating theatres, not only would it save lives, think of the saving in wages no longer would you need expensive anaesthetists with years of training, it would work on everyone regardless of sex, weight, medical history from adults to kids and including pet dogs of any size etc, the forces would use it in hostage situations.

But no according to the "evidence" the only people to use it for the last 20 plus years are a small band of foreign thieves whose greatest ambition is to rob motorhomes, go figure.................

or can you come up with any plausable explaination as to why bandits have it but no-one else?

Last edited by a moderator:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I was robbed along with others as I said before.

Spanish cops suggested gas and caravan club paid out as robbery with violence (so we got the full amount of cash stolen)

G

GeorgeTelford

Deleted User
Hi John

I seriously do not doubt that you were robbed for one second, I am even more sure that it would be a horrible and traumatic experience (last time I was burgled was over 30 yrs ago, but I know it wasnt pleasant, even though we were not home at the time) I also do not doubt that the Spanish police (and French police) are passing on this "reason" for people being robbed unawares.

Its only that all the available evidence says that gassing (successfully to commit a robbery) is not even remotely possible.

I also know of people who have been robbed while in and they say its frightening after they wake up and realise someone as been there with them.

Having slept in motorhome with family and dog I also know that its surprising how we can all move about, climb over each other in the night for bathroom calls and not wake each other up. I find this a much more likely scenario than gas, because at least its actually possible.

I sincerely hope that you do not see this as me having a dig at you, because it is definately not meant that way.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
I have no honest idea how it was done but my dog is a light sleeper and my wife, me I sleep through anything.

The scary confusing thing is 10 other units got done at the same time one being a Spanish lorry driver.

Plus would you enter a caravan with a 15 stone Great Dane in it? even worse my wife:Doh:

As i say the Spanish police gave us this suggestion.

Funnily enough when we park up there was 3 or 4 cop car around the services:winky:

Last edited:

St.Cyr

Free Member
Aug 23, 2009
West Wales/Normandy
Funster No
MH
Merc self-build
Exp
On & off, 30 years ...
Shame this thread closed 2 years ago - despite what the so-called experts say I and quite a few of my ex-colleagues have been gassed on several occasions in our cabs EVEN WHILE AWAKE. On 3 separate occasions the empty (hospital?) anaesthetic gas bottle was retrieved by the police within a few metres of the trucks. Once, in Spain, the thief was actually caught as he was leaving the scene. He'd obviously seen the cops coming because the container was under the cab. Driver, who'd just gone to bed wasn't totally unconscious, and was handed back his wallet & mobile phones by the police. Despite not being k.o'd completely, due to scumbag's hurried departure, he still experienced the well-known 'brain feels loose inside skull' bad head-ache .... Wonder who's right, those it's happened to, with visual & physical evidence, or desk-bound expert who's never been near a truck.... ? Ho hum....

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I'd go with the experts, they are not desk bound, they work with the gas and patients everyday. If they don't get it just right, people die.

As for truck drivers, the dishonest ones used to have to take a real whack on the head when they pretended to be robbed and sold on their load, nowadays they just have to yawn and say "mornin":RollEyes: ::bigsmile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I'd go with the experts, they are not desk bound, they work with the gas and patients everyday. If they don't get it just right, people die.

As for truck drivers, the dishonest ones used to have to take a real whack on the head when they pretended to be robbed and sold on their load, nowadays they just have to yawn and say "mornin":RollEyes: ::bigsmile:

and it takes years post grad to be qualified not to kill folks on the operating table.
the aneasthetist has the final say on an operation not the surgeon.

St.Cyr

Free Member
Aug 23, 2009
West Wales/Normandy
Funster No
MH
Merc self-build
Exp
On & off, 30 years ...
Shame this thread closed 2 years ago - despite what the so-called experts say I and quite a few of my ex-colleagues have been gassed on several occasions in our cabs EVEN WHILE AWAKE. On 3 separate occasions the empty (hospital?) anaesthetic gas bottle was retrieved by the police within a few metres of the trucks. Once, in Spain, the thief was actually caught as he was leaving the scene. He'd obviously seen the cops coming because the container was under the cab. Driver, who'd just gone to bed wasn't totally unconscious, and was handed back his wallet & mobile phones by the police. Despite not being k.o'd completely, due to scumbag's hurried departure, he still experienced the well-known 'brain feels loose inside skull' bad head-ache .... Wonder who's right, those it's happened to, with visual & physical evidence, or desk-bound expert who's never been near a truck.... ? Ho hum....

So,seems I imagined it .... incidentally I was not alluding to anaesthetists, who do an amazing job - indeed I've had good reason to thank them for their expertise on 3 occasions when I came off worse while trying to save the load I was transporting. The last time was on the A33 by Reading at 3am, last September, - not gas this time but iron bar & pick-axe handle... that, being the last straw, was the main reason for quitting the business. (lesser reason was that I had had enough of being assumed to be a crook just because I'd chosen to try truck-driving for a few years, a bias I'd not encountered in previous occupations like banking,computer management & antique shop owning). I know, there are dishonest people in all walks of life but I can honestly say I've only ever met one professional Lgv driver who was a tea-leaf, and that involved flogging diesel to 'travellers', not selling the load - but he'd have behaved the same whatever job he'd been doing, not because he was a truck-driver. :Angry:

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
Surely there are enough nooks and crannies ( cupboards, underfloor storage areas etc ) in a motorhome that would retain evidence of gas for the forensic guys to establish not only IF gas was used but WHAT gas ?

Chani

Free Member
Mar 26, 2009
Somerset
Funster No
Hi St.Cyr :Smile:

- despite what the so-called experts say I ... have been gassed

I think most people don't believe this really happens (and I have no idea either way!). Would you be willing to tell us about your personal experience of this? In the cases where they found a bottle, were they able to determine what gas was used?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Shame this thread closed 2 years ago - despite what the so-called experts say I and quite a few of my ex-colleagues have been gassed on several occasions in our cabs EVEN WHILE AWAKE.

Hi St Cyr

no one has yet provided any proof of a gassing, ie , police or medical report, do you have one or point to where one can be read ?

Until such time, gassing stories will have as much credence as 'little green men' and UFO stories..

Jim

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi apart from the insurance fraudsters, some people genuinely believe they were gassed, because they simply can't believe they slept through it without waking.

I parked up last year in the Calais arrivals car park at around midnight, it was full with cars and motorhomes, I didn't in my opinion sleep very well, so I was gob smacked when I looked out the window at around 08.00 to find it mainly empty :Eeek:

Hadn't heard a thing and neither had the wife, if the door had been forced open we would have said "we must have been gassed" ::bigsmile: After a longish drive people just don't realise how deeply they sleep, and these bad guys, don't go out of their way to make a noise.

Olley

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Still doesn't answer how they got over a younger and more alert Bruno (5 at the time) 3 foot high and 15 stone of Great Dane who was a good guard dog.

Yes I am changing my mind but this still amazes me how the got over him in a cramped caravan and search it completely?

One day if they are doing it unaided someone going to get hurt it must happen with the amount of people done just this week.

I was one of 10 that got done that nnight, and when arriving at La Manga miles had been done en route.

Tis a mystery

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Still doesn't answer how they got over a younger and more alert Bruno (5 at the time) 3 foot high and 15 stone of Great Dane who was a good guard dog.

Tis a mystery

Hi John

Mylo, (our Jack Russel) is a great guard dog, he makes a hell of a noise when he hears the slightest noise outside, can be annoying when he wakes us up in the middle of the night. :RollEyes:

However, couple of nights ago I was restless and got up about 2am for a toilet visit and decided to have a drink of juice..
Mindful of not waking him up I crept through to the fridge, poured a drink then sat down and had a fag .. he never heard a thing.. I looked at him and was sleeping soundly.. so even dogs can sleep through noises..

Jim

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Hi John

Mylo, (our Jack Russel) is a great guard dog, he makes a hell of a noise when he hears the slightest noise outside, can be annoying when he wakes us up in the middle of the night. :RollEyes:

However, couple of nights ago I was restless and got up about 2am for a toilet visit and decided to have a drink of juice..
Mindful of not waking him up I crept through to the fridge, poured a drink then sat down and had a fag .. he never heard a thing.. I looked at him and was sleeping soundly.. so even dogs can sleep through noises..

Jim

In the dark you know where everything is first of all Jim.

Bruno rest when I move gently but if its anything else he is on the ball even now (he knows when my car is coming before i have turned into the road)

But a four berth caravan with fixed rear bed and slide out front double bed which dad was on left Bruno very cramped in the middle. You have seen how he makes a 34 ft RV look small so can you guess what this van was like.

It is baffling.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
St CYR,
You and your colleagues have been "gassed" on many occasions..... "Even whilst awake"!
Where on earth do you drive and indeed park? ...Fantasy Land?
l have driven HGV class one vehicles, for years, throughout the UK, Europe,and the Middle East. l have parked in some dubious places, not through choice, and never been robbed, although it does happen. l have never been "gassed" and l do not know anyone who has been "gassed".
Also, you state that the police found gas canisters around, didn't they find out what they contained, and where they had come from? Were they bought over the counter? l don't think so. That means they were stolen, so, that makes 1 theft, with the prospect of being caught, to use this "wondergas" on a 2nd theft, with the prospect of being caught, for a few euros, passports, and cards. And, to my amazement, everyone recovers! Even the Russians couldn't match that!
l have had, through a serious accident on a motorcycle, 15 operations, and l have yet to wake up from anaesthesia, thinking, "oh l feel woosy", l could sleep most of the day until the anaesthetic has worn off, yet some motorhomers wake up a couple of hours later than normal, and assume they have been "gassed"
Still l love to read the gassing stories, it saves me buying fictional books, keep 'em coming.

wkdtroll

Free Member
Jul 29, 2008
North Wales
Funster No
MH
VW T5 Conversion
Exp
7 years
Sleeping gas

Just a few facts for consideration:

a) It would take a considerable amount of sleeping gas to fill a motorhome with fumes intense enough to knock anyone out!

b)The cost of sleeping gas is around £150 per litre!

c)The cost of a speculative raid on an unsuspecting motorhome would be approx. £30,000!!

(All this just to rob granny's false teeth from her bedside - don't think so!!!):ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::Eeek:

Aug 18, 2009
essex
Funster No
MH
A/S Warwick Duo
Exp
what are the police doing?

What are police doing?, they tell m/h ers not to stop at motorway aires everyone knows where its happening, what they doing about it?

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
These robbers who use gas, have to work out the occupants numbers, height, weight, age, gender, previous health problems, heart conditions etc; and combine the number of dogs that are in the vehicle, and use just the right amount of gas, so not to cause any deaths or complications, and to know where to inject the gas into any type of motorhome, AND calculate the volume of the motorhome, must be so intelligent l can't understand why they don't go for banks, or building societies where the takings are much bigger.:ROFLMAO:

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

With that of level of intelligence would think they would be in so much need for the skills they wouldn't have time to frequent road side Aires :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Nov 28, 2007
Funster No
This old chestnut keeps rearings its head time after time, probably raised by somebody trying to sell gas alarms or something.

Think seriously for a minute, would anybody who discovered a gas that could safely put a few people and dogs asleep for an hour or so need to go around robbing motorhomes ?

NO Way, they could simply sell the formula to any security service for a fortune, they would love to have that capability. You only have to look at recent history and the Russian cinema seige where a lot of people were killed by the gas they used.

Why go around risking a prison sentence when they could be on easy street for life.

The Wallace

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Funster No
Too many people watching re-runs of 'The Prisoner'
Gas in the letterbox and you wake up in Portmerion.

Even hospital anaesthetists get it wrong sometimes yet there is not one report of a trucker being killed by being gassed by the toerags!

Who would you believe, the Royal College of Anaesthetist or a trucker who wants to explain away being robbed?

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
l love these gassing stories. Perhaps we could put together a "Gassing Weekly" magazine. lt would be a great read and beat the winter blues, and recession. Bring it on.:roflmto:

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
l love these gassing stories. Perhaps we could put together a "Gassing Weekly" magazine. lt would be a great read and beat the winter blues, and recession. Bring it on.:roflmto:

Gassing is OK but IMO you can't beat a good old A frame thread. A frames, the construction and use, "I can reverse mine for miles" etc etc. :ROFLMAO: Much better than gas, with gas there is no argument, its a myth hardhat

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
having worked in the sewage industry i like talking a lot of s--t. but dont pull the plug it makes an awfull mess. exploding toilets, blue/green ,dig a hole not a whole. how many craps can you get in a thetford porta-potty. someone as the answer .

Elvis

Free Member
Jun 13, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since Nov 2008
Catch them then!

How about the French making an effort to catch the sh**s then! :Eeek:

And don't tell me they are bothering, we all know they have the worst track record as far as solving crimes is concerned!

CCTV perhaps ??? Honestly! :Angry:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
What do you need to convince you that gassing happens.

I KNOW A FRIEND OF A FRIEND OF MY UNCLES AUNT WHO HAD A MATE FROM WORK WHOS GRANDADS GRANDSONS BEST FRIENDS SCHOOL FRIENDS FATHER AND MOTHER WERE GASSED IN SPAIN OR WAS IT FRANCE WHEN IN THEIR CARAVAN OR MIGHT HAVE BEEN A MOTORHOME ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back