Beware Passport Thieves In Benidorm (1 Viewer)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
My work hear in spain is in the tourist sector and this is so very common ,Brit reg's are always a target because
it is assumed you have the money . A little tip before heading this way get your self a GSM house alarm , this way if you are have a drink or a meal if anyone enters your motorhome you will receive a text message with in seconds of it happening .

while alarms a good idea they don't deter thieves as most are smash and grab merchants....

What do you do when you get the message, run back and confront? You will be lucky if they are still there, and probably luckier still if they aren't!

fit a safe and alarm by all means....park up carefully, but losses is what insurance is for

Antonio

Free Member
Aug 8, 2013
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer 660s
Exp
6 months
I'm not entirely sure it was about security of valuables, more about security of daughters! Gerald Brenan's South from Granada describes how in the time he was there, the 1920s, young men would stand outside in the street and talk to their young lady through the bars. That was as close as they got before they were married.
One of the best books on Spain. I seem to recall that the young men left flowers and if they were on the balcony the next day they had scored! If I ever gave my ex,s flowers they wanted to know what I'd been up to!

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
I've been working on some message to the potential thieves:
"The best guard dog is the silent one, the one which lets you in but won't let you out... well...not with all your bits and pieces"
I wonder if it would scare any of them ...o_O I hate thieves
!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Coolbeanz
Feb 26, 2013
Pinar de Campoverde, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
I've often wondered if their is any merit in having a picture of a mean looking dog in the window and pretending to say goodbye to the dog when leaving the Motorhome. Coupled with Frankie's message it might act as a deterrent?!?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
while alarms a good idea they don't deter thieves as most are smash and grab merchants....

What do you do when you get the message, run back and confront? You will be lucky if they are still there, and probably luckier still if they aren't!

fit a safe and alarm by all means....park up carefully, but losses is what insurance is for
No , that's why everywhere is like it is, Catch them in the act & ensure that they can never do it again.

& ladies ,if you are going to a market here don't take anything except money & do what the traders & gypsies do. Tuck it in your bra.(y) Hopefully you'll realise i someone tries to lift it ?:LOL:

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
I've often wondered if their is any merit in having a picture of a mean looking dog in the window and pretending to say goodbye to the dog when leaving the Motorhome. Coupled with Frankie's message it might act as a deterrent?!?

Also leave a large dog bowl and huge chewed bone outside the van and call your imaginary dog Tyson.

John.

Deleted User
Was also so that in the high heat of the summer the windows could be left open at night to allow the cool air to circulate.

You actually want one that is in excess of the pain threshold.

And to be effective it should be inside the van :)

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
Not sure about alarms as when i was a village subpostmaster there were numerous times when house alarms went off and i always investigated sometimes in the middle of the night . I was a bit put out when i had an incident at 2.00am with alarm going and the next morning the vicar who lived opposite came in to complain about the noise from the alarm , when i asked him what action he had taken to ensure we were safe " Well it was only a false alarm" it wasn,t and i had checked his property many times night and day. So dont rely on others to check alarms

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back