Dec 22, 2008
STOCKSBRIDGE SHEFFIELD
Funster No
MH
RV EUROLINER
Exp
25 YEARS
Beware of immigrants

Please be aware when returning from any continental ports. We returned home from Bilbao this week overnighted on the docks many other motor homes caravans parked with us We boarded the ferry the following morning sailed no problem docked next morning The police checked inside of van at customs no problem 84 miles from Portsmouth there was such a bang thought I had blown a tyre pulled in to a lay by got out to check was amazed a young man rolled from under van we had a uninvited passenger he made of down the road I phoned straight away reported it The police rang back said they had caught him and we were ok to finish our journey I got under van and was shocked to find rags around prop shaft wires broken hanging down I made all as safe as possible and luckily continued our journey home Have yet to find out full damage fridge not working step won’t go in still to find out we’re broken wires are from So please be very vigilant especially when you overnight near or at any ports This way Bilbao not Calais were you think it might happen.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
That could have been nasty Rae, if not for you and Jackie , your stowaway could have made a real mess on the road.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
I am so sorry to hear of your damage and confess that I did not look under my van when leaving France. It does go to show how much danger they are willing to risk to get into the UK. Any more come and I might have to leave you all to deal with them, if there are any of us left.

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
why don't folks just look under there vehicle before bording it's not hard to do
bill

Of course you're right Bill, in a perfect world. Most of us have enough difficulty remembering to unhook the ECU, lock the fridge, secure the galley ... when the checklist gets to looking under the van, checking the air filter for Ebola, digging the killer bees out of the air intake, the wife has probably used the loo again and put the kettle on ;)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Of course you're right Bill, in a perfect world. Most of us have enough difficulty remembering to unhook the ECU, lock the fridge, secure the galley ... when the checklist gets to looking under the van, checking the air filter for Ebola, digging the killer bees out of the air intake, the wife has probably used the loo again and put the kettle on ;)
looking under the van, checking the air filter for Ebola, digging the killer bees out of the air intake
wouldn't bother with most of that but always have a wee look under the van if i have parked near to the ferry port the night before.
bill

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Hope no one crawls under mine would put me overweight. :eek:
We have had them check us at Poole on the way to France, inside and they went round the outer edge with a mirror on a pole.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
I always check under and on top when we park up to shop in Calais. I also check in the shower cubicle as well which is more than the Soldiers did at the Tunnel last week - they asked me to open the back doors glanced inside and that was it.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I think the whole security checking needs to have a major overhaul at all ports. We recently came back via Ijmuiden and no one bothered to search our van for stowaways.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
I think the whole security checking needs to have a major overhaul at all ports. We recently came back via Ijmuiden and no one bothered to search our van for stowaways.
For the prices DFDS charge from Newcastle, I thought I was paying for extra passengers :xeek::cry:

fleurette

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I640 SD
Exp
Boy !!! what a shock for you, just glad that your ok and hopefully what damage there is to the van can be sorted out quickly

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
£150 including the dog is reasonable I think.
Is that winter prices? It was nearly £900 return for 2 passengers and a sub 6 metre van In may last year, out of school hols :xeek: I was trying to book 2 months ahead as well!

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Beware of immigrants

Please be aware when returning from any continental ports. We returned home from Bilbao this week overnighted on the docks many other motor homes caravans parked with us We boarded the ferry the following morning sailed no problem docked next morning The police checked inside of van at customs no problem 84 miles from Portsmouth there was such a bang thought I had blown a tyre pulled in to a lay by got out to check was amazed a young man rolled from under van we had a uninvited passenger he made of down the road I phoned straight away reported it The police rang back said they had caught him and we were ok to finish our journey I got under van and was shocked to find rags around prop shaft wires broken hanging down I made all as safe as possible and luckily continued our journey home Have yet to find out full damage fridge not working step won’t go in still to find out we’re broken wires are from So please be very vigilant especially when you overnight near or at any ports This way Bilbao not Calais were you think it might happen.
Hope you get everything sorted :(
Looks like I will be adding another one of these to my van tool box :(

rolson-2-led-telescopic-inspection-mirror-358248-2.jpg

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/282732216595

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
But if you are overnighting in the Cite de Europe which we do very often ( where we feel VERY safe). And some one decides to cling under your van. they will not know which direction you are going and there is every chance they could end in the south of France, Spain or Morocco.

colyboy

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Can't see one hooking themselves under at the port. Bilbao to Portsmouth much more likely to have settled under the van on the car deck.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
But if you are overnighting in the Cite de Europe which we do very often ( where we feel VERY safe). And some one decides to cling under your van. they will not know which direction you are going and there is every chance they could end in the south of France, Spain or Morocco.

colyboy
Definately zero to poor Bennies in those countries....

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Crossed last week to caen from Portsmouth with trai!er !loaded up with all my worldly goods waved through both ends...thank the Lord.would have been interesting had they wanted to check..lol

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
How desperate he must have been. To cling to the underside of a vehicle to try and start a new life in another country must take a lot of guts,and of course desperation. I hope he is now being well cared for in this country before being sent back.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
How desperate he must have been. To cling to the underside of a vehicle to try and start a new life in another country must take a lot of guts,and of course desperation. I hope he is now being well cared for in this country before being sent back.

The sad thing is they are so desperate and he will proberly try again.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Probably won't be sent back claim asylum or some other get out but from my point of view just the sort of person to get off their backside and make a sucess of life in this country. As a cypriot porter at university pointed out 35 years ago he was here by choice everyone else by accident!!

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
My view on this is that the migrant would have secured himself under the van on the ferry, not in the port.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
My view on this is that the migrant would have secured himself under the van on the ferry, not in the port.
I was thinking the same. He couldn't have been there for the whole 24 hrs or whatever in the hold, most likely transferred from another vehicle having had a good look around the hold and with time to choose the best vehicle. And the rags used to strap himself under would have taken a while to sort and fit. As someone said earlier, poor fellow having to trust his luck like that. It's a wonder he didn't fall out going over the ramps!

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Agreed, although he will probably apply for asylum and be here for a while at our expence even if rejected.
I wonder how an escaped ex Isis fighter would cross into the U.K. probably got a diplomatic immunity pass and full UK passport.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
The tightest security I have seen is at the Calais end of the tunnel, there are security measures in place there that would probably be deemed unsafe in the UK. One of the favourite, but lesser known, routes for immigrants is through the Cairnryan Ports, these ports have been used for over twenty years as they are not, strictly speaking, a border.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back