Beware of ferry between Barcelona and Genoa! (1 Viewer)

peter dakota

Free Member
Jan 23, 2017
cardiff
Funster No
MH
lo line c class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Landed in Genoa from Barcelona this morning after probably the worst European ferry trip I can remember in 50 years of taking ferries. The check in was very disorganised - took 3 trips from the Mo Ho to the check in desk to obtain boarding cards - no signage or information on arriving at the port. The ferry itself was virtually closed, at least the main lounge and the bar were and the shop remained closed for the majority of the voyage. The staff weren't remotely interested in helping passengers with the exception of one or two. The food and beverages were expensive and in short supply. The blame for the shortages was that the ferry was going for a revamp on completion of the trip. The cabins were clean but spartan (the shower was good though). We docked early but it was over an hour before we were able to disembark. One final moan: the start of the voyage was a little rough and there was vomit on the carpet and top open deck 8 was awash with vomit - I promise I'm not exaggerating. I saw no sign of sick bags available however discreetly they might have been placed. Having said all that, it was a great saving of time and money as you cut out France altogether. Would I do it again? Probably! But next time I'll know what I'm letting myself in for!

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Nice to see you making your first post(y)
Last year at a Barcelona fire we met a couple who had actually got put on the wrong ferry. They managed to get off but had to have their journey rearranged so can understand the disorganisation.

OP
OP
P

peter dakota

Free Member
Jan 23, 2017
cardiff
Funster No
MH
lo line c class
Exp
I'm a newbie
I'm not at all surprised. If there had been more than one ferry in port I can almost guarantee we would have been put on the wrong one@

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
We used that ferry, Gran Navi Veloci Majestic in 2009 in the opposite direction and were not impressed, the Italian crew (in charge of the money) especially were surly and unhelpful, the Asian crew were OK but not many of them about, completely agree about the facilities.

The food in the cheap cafe was appalling and seemed to cater mainly for the North Africans en route to Tangier who had meals included in the price of the ticket. We did not try the more expensive restaurant because we are tight and it was......expensive!

In 2016 we used the Grimaldi Lines Cruise Roma from Civitavecchia to Barcelona and that was basically the same, surly unhelpful staff, when you could find one, poor food, next to no directions on exiting the port of Barcelona.

We would use them again if heading in that direction because of the mileage saved but be more prepared.

Anyone criticising the staff or food on Brittany Ferries should try one of these crossings:)

At Genoa:

DSCN0114.JPG

OP
OP
P

peter dakota

Free Member
Jan 23, 2017
cardiff
Funster No
MH
lo line c class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Glad I'm not the only one to find the Grimaldi ferries pretty grim. But, you're right Chris - it was worth the vomit to avoid France, especially in early April when the whole of southern France seems closed. Brittany Ferries are wonderful compared with Grimaldi who could learn many lessons from them

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back