Beware of Caravan Club sites from April 8th (1 Viewer)

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
I have no love of the Club either, ... but to be fair , £38 to gain access to several thousand CLs is, in my opinion, excellent value for money ..

For those who don't join but use the CLs ... well, I think that is wrong.. how would you feel if non Fun members used CFLs ?

Just my opinion ..

Here, here - I don't disagree with you in the least, Jim - however I have been speaking to some severely disgruntled CL owners recently who have left the CL network over the number of 'NO-SHOW' Caravan Club bookings. People who phone up, book a pitch and then simply don't arrive, even to the extent of foregoing any deposit paid.

Lots of CL owners are 'small' farmers who just want a bit of pocket money - and therefore 'vans-on-pitches' are much more important than Membership Cards.

Dick

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We've been members of the CC since we bought the van coming up for 5 years ago. Used several sites and always been happy. Only used one CL so far but intend doing so more in future. Just joined the C&CC for the CSs and THSs.

Used to buy MMM, Practical Motorhome and Motor Caravan (from newsagents) when we first got the van but stopped as the balance between articles of interest, articles not of interest and adverts wasn't right for me.

As regards comparison: MMM subscription £38pa for a magazine with many articles and adverts not of interest; CC subscription £38pa for a magazine with many articles and adverts not of interest plus the CL network plus member rates at full sites. CC seems better value to me - but we are all different :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

batchpatch

Free Member
Apr 13, 2009
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 997M
Exp
Since 2005
caravan club costs

Hi

The caravan club have no concept of what a member requires and do not like motorhome ownwers they over charge and have too many jobs worth wardens who never leave there office/reception. May be we should all bouycott this club and join the C&CC only. Save £40 to use on more important things.
Regards
Batchpatch

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Here, here - I don't disagree with you in the least, Jim - however I have been speaking to some severely disgruntled CL owners recently who have left the CL network over the number of 'NO-SHOW' Caravan Club bookings. People who phone up, book a pitch and then simply don't arrive, even to the extent of foregoing any deposit paid.

Lots of CL owners are 'small' farmers who just want a bit of pocket money - and therefore 'vans-on-pitches' are much more important than Membership Cards.

Dick

Yes Dick, agreed, I'm aware of the problem.

Our friends who have a CL don't generally ask for membership cards, just happy as you say to have 'vans on pitches'.. just as many (CL owners) turn a blind eye to the 28day rule.. however that is a different debate to non-members using CLs.

Because they are relaxed about the club rules and not on site 24/7 they've had people who turn up late and leave early and don't pay.. they even had a couple who said they would pay at the end of the week .. and left without paying .. .. so it's swings and roundabouts.. they gain and lose by not insisting on seeing a card before siting.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Hi

The caravan club have no concept of what a member requires and do not like motorhome ownwers they over charge and have too many jobs worth wardens who never leave there office/reception. May be we should all bouycott this club and join the C&CC only. Save £40 to use on more important things.
Regards
Batchpatch

Strange. I've never felt disliked on a CC site as a motorhome owner. I've never met a warden who has been deliberately uncooperative or obstructive. On every CC site we've used I've seen the wardens out and about on a daily basis making sure the site is run properly.

Have I just been lucky that I haven't been to bad sites? Any specific examples?

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Strange. I've never felt disliked on a CC site as a motorhome owner. I've never met a warden who has been deliberately uncooperative or obstructive. On every CC site we've used I've seen the wardens out and about on a daily basis making sure the site is run properly.

Have I just been lucky that I haven't been to bad sites? Any specific examples?

Graham, I'm the same as you, never a problem. My last RV was 32 ft and this one is 29ft but always a cheerful welcome. I do wonder how it will be in the future with the newly introduced length limits on some sites, it smacks of RV discrimination :Sad:
Larry

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Graham, I'm the same as you, never a problem. My last RV was 32 ft and this one is 29ft but always a cheerful welcome. I do wonder how it will be in the future with the newly introduced length limits on some sites, it smacks of RV discrimination :Sad:
Larry

I don't think it's discrimination, Larry, more like physical dimensions. Many (most?) sites - like car parks - were laid out when such large vehicles were much less common so there might well be expense in altering which cannot be justified in the wider scheme of things.

Also, as the CC says, "the width of access roads and the entrance and layout of sites can result in unavoidable restrictions". Some of those factors will be beyond the control of the CC.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I don't think it's discrimination, Larry, more like physical dimensions. Many (most?) sites - like car parks - were laid out when such large vehicles were much less common so there might well be expense in altering which cannot be justified in the wider scheme of things.

Also, as the CC says, "the width of access roads and the entrance and layout of sites can result in unavoidable restrictions". Some of those factors will be beyond the control of the CC.

Even where there is space and good access many sites ( not just CC ) have barred RVS.. and I think the main reason for restricting length to 28ft is vehicle weight ..

Sites access roads and hard standings probably weren't designed for heavy vehicles.. RVs can exceed 12 ton.. many are 7.5 ton.. mine was 8.5 ton . and on at least two occasions I have seen the asphalt subside after sitting for a couple of weeks ..

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Even where there is space and good access many sites ( not just CC ) have barred RVS.. and I think the main reason for restricting length to 28ft is vehicle weight ..

Sites access roads and hard standings probably weren't designed for heavy vehicles.. RVs can exceed 12 ton.. many are 7.5 ton.. mine was 8.5 ton . and on at least two occasions I have seen the asphalt subside after sitting for a couple of weeks ..

Thanks Jim. Understandable I suppose.

Once again, it's a similar situation with car parks. Many car parks (especially older ones) were constructed when cars were much lighter so can suffer damage from the likes of big 4x4 vehicles, let alone vehicles like motorhomes.

In both cases, valid reasons rather than discrimination.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Could be ground pressure, but that would be misguided as the double rear wheels and larger footprint tyres on an RV probably give no greater pressure psi than a 3 1/2 or 4 1/2
ton euro mhome on smaller single wheels.
The one thing that is evident is that length restrictions have been placed on sites that had no restriction last year. I don't think pitch size or access has changed, just attitude to RVs :Sad:

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
I have been told that weight and length are just excuses, it is the power consumption of some RV's that is the real problem. :Doh:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I have been told that weight and length are just excuses, it is the power consumption of some RV's that is the real problem. :Doh:

Dunno, if that were the case the restriction would apply to all sites and all RVs irrespective of length
Larry

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland

Yes, that could be a reason on some sites.. there have also been complaints from neighbours that large RVs block sunlight and view.. more a case of the green eyed monster I think.

It's probably a combination of all three... and with the pitch demand outstripping supply park owners and clubs can be choosy .. it's easier to ban than accommodate and there is no added value by upgrading hard standing/access roads and installing leccy meters..

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Do RVs use more power? The transformer surge is responsible for making most assume that RVs use a lot more power but do they?

OK, RV's have a 6 or 10 gallon hot water tank and that takes a bit of electric to heat. To warm a large RV and then keep it warm by using electric fan heaters, which many motorhomers carry, probably does use a fair bit more, if they put the aircon on then it will be a lot more, I suppose the 42 inch TV is bigger than most Europeans so is going to use a bit more. Some RV's large battery banks need more juice to charge, but apart from that... ::bigsmile: They probably use the same as everyone else:winky:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Do RVs use more power? The transformer surge is responsible for making most assume that RVs use a lot more power but do they?

OK, RV's have a 6 or 10 gallon hot water tank and that takes a bit of electric to heat. To warm a large RV and then keep it warm by using electric fan heaters, which many motorhomers carry, probably does use a fair bit more, if they put the aircon on then it will be a lot more, I suppose the 42 inch TV is bigger than most Europeans so is going to use a bit more. Some RV's large battery banks need more juice to charge, but apart from that... ::bigsmile: They probably use the same as everyone else:winky:

You forgot the washer/dryer, dishwasher, ice maker and sun bed in the bedroom .. :roflmto:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Don't know that they use more power, as they are only running from the same posts that euro vans use. The amount and number of caravans that heat an awning their useage must be greater than that taken to heat an RV, after all theirs is a direct loss to the air. I know I have seen awnings with both fan and the radiant heaters running almost continuously from early evening till late at night.

Dave .:thumb::thumb:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Don't know that they use more power, as they are only running from the same posts that euro vans use. The amount and number of caravans that heat an awning their useage must be greater than that taken to heat an RV, after all theirs is a direct loss to the air. I know I have seen awnings with both fan and the radiant heaters running almost continuously from early evening till late at night.

Of course you are right Dave, I'm just having a bit of fun. Some RVs might have 3 tvs, but they will only be watching one at a time. As for heating caravan awnings I have also seen this a lot, there seems to be, an "I've paid for it, so I'll use it" mentatlity The quicker that electricity is a metered extra the better - he says smiling with 340watts of solar panel :Smile: -

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Of course you are right Dave, I'm just having a bit of fun. Some RVs might have 3 tvs, but they will only be watching one at a time. As for heating caravan awnings I have also seen this a lot, there seems to be, an "I've paid for it, so I'll use it" mentatlity The quicker that electricity is a metered extra the better - he says smiling with 340watts of solar panel :Smile: -

OK for some, I remember being next to one caravan that was drying his awning with a fan heater prior to packing up, you could see the steam rising from it, while he had a chat with the warden.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
yet another reason to kick the caravan club into touch.

i didnt renew last time and now they're introducing the 7mtr rule i'm glad i didnt. :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back