Beware Of Bringing Your Motorhome Into London (1 Viewer)

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Looking for a new motorhome is a nightmare. I am stunned by what I have found out and dont want anyone getting caught out!!!!!!

Because we live in a controlled parking zone (CPZ) or permit parking area, we are not allowed a vehicle over 17.5 ft which restricts us enough - I dont think any of the new motorhomes are under 18ft. Apparently they are going to make the length restriction shorter too at some point.

Now we are having to check vehicle registrations against the Low Emission Zone compliance as many motorhome are either not compliant, or wont be compliant from 2010.

BEWARE !!!! if your vehicle does not comply you could get a daily charge of up to £200.

The Low Emission Zone (LEZ) affects many motorhomes officially referred to as motorcaravans irrespecitve of whether they are used for commercial or private use.

Cars, motorcycles and small vans (under 1.205 tonnes unladen weight) are not included in the LEZ.

Check your vehicle
To find out if your vehicle is affected, click here Low Emission Zone – Compliance check

If your motorhome or RV is affected click here Home | Transport for London to find out how to comply and understand what you can do to meet the LEZ emissions standards and avoid paying a daily charge.

AND FINALLY .............. Beware about parking in parking/permit bays, as even if you purchase a permit or ticket, you may still get a penalty charge if you vehicle is too long (but you wont find the rules printed on any of the leaflets, back of tickets etc.

CAN YOU TELL THEY DONT WANT MOTORHOMES IN LONDON !!!!!!

Last edited:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Vehicles designed and built for mainly off-road use, but which may be used on the road for limited purposes

The above quote is taken from their own exemption page
I ask can you legally camp on a UK road---- Answer No so its main purpose is off road IE camp sites:thumb: Sorted
Geo

M

michaelc

Deleted User
Its not just motorhomes

Hi, its not just motorhomes, I have just rang the transport of london as I was planning to visit my 88 year old relation in croydon before moving onto dover and then crossing over to france, They want £100 pounds for each day that the car is parked up within the LEZ zone, as I was planning to be around for a week thats £700 pounds, what a total rip off, I just rang her and said I would be going to see her this time, may even need to think about christmas this year as well,
well done red ken.
michael

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

staging lady

Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 years but caravan owner in past
Thanks for the link our campers been trashed.

Just looked at our car which it did not recognise. Then our old Frankia G reg which it claimed is ok until 2010.
Does not make sense to me. London vans in daily use are not suffering ;but motorhomes only used by tourists ( bringing in revenue) will suffer. OK ,tourists, forget London and come and stay in beautiful Wales instead!
Is anybody doing any joined up thinking on this??
Staging lady

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Thanks for the link our campers been trashed.

Just looked at our car which it did not recognise. Then our old Frankia G reg which it claimed is ok until 2010.
Does not make sense to me. London vans in daily use are not suffering ;but motorhomes only used by tourists ( bringing in revenue) will suffer. OK ,tourists, forget London and come and stay in beautiful Wales instead!
Is anybody doing any joined up thinking on this??
Staging lady

I must admit to moving away from London, and the thought of driving an RV/Motorhome in London, would not interest me whatsoever!! Let alone the waste of fuel, being stuck in those traffic jams all day.:Eeek:

Wales sounds a lot more Motorhomer friendly.:thumb:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
You Mean Thank You

£en £ivingstone:RollEyes:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Why anyone would want to "bring a motorhome into London" is quite beyond me. By this, i gather we are talking inner city London and coach sized mh's? Hardly my idea of "fun"!

At least London has a publict transport system (unlike the rest of the UK)....and it's cheap too.

M

michaelc

Deleted User
In answer

hI ALL, do you think that this will stop at london, I was of the understand that more cities have been asking about LEZ,s and if they get the go ahead which with these fools in power then why not just add the motorways on as well. If germany can have lez for 10 euros PA why does red ken want £200 per day, I understand that a lot of small companies are going to wall, skip companies etc who need to move about,
Just makes me so mad.
terry

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
Why anyone would want to "bring a motorhome into London" is quite beyond me. By this, i gather we are talking inner city London and coach sized mh's? Hardly my idea of "fun"!

At least London has a publict transport system (unlike the rest of the UK)....and it's cheap too.

Hi Bulletguy I believe that there is actually a Caravan Club Site in the LEZ!!

I personally don't want to go to London with a Motorhome or not if it's anything like Dublin it will be full of foreigners anyway!!!!

Regards Pat

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi Bulletguy I believe that there is actually a Caravan Club Site in the LEZ!!

I personally don't want to go to London with a Motorhome or not if it's anything like Dublin it will be full of foreigners anyway!!!!

Regards Pat

It wouldn't be Wyatts Covert in Uxbridge would it?

If it is, their site charges just MIGHT have gone up for Motorhomes.:RollEyes:

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
It wouldn't be Wyatts Covert in Uxbridge would it?

If it is, their site charges just MIGHT have gone up for Motorhomes.:RollEyes:

Not sure Steve but I remember reading about a Caravan Club Site within the LEZ would it be near Crystal Palace?

Anyone out there know at all???

Regards Pat

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
The Wyatts Covert CC site in Denham, Uxbridge. is outside of the emission zone and it can be accessed from the M25 without the need to use roads that are within the zone. I am not sure about the Abbey Wood and Crystal Palace sites but I believe that the Chertsey site is also outside of the LEZ. It is advisable to check your route to and from the sites as if you stray into the zone you will be charged if you are non compliant. There are cameras on every road leading in to the zone.

Last edited:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Crystal Palace site does have a mention about the LEZ.

Link Removed

I believe you're right about Chertsey Brisey.

I hope so anyway as that's one we tend to use a lot.

Last edited:

koffee

Free Member
Mar 22, 2008
Funster No
Not 'Londons' fault

Hi there,

yes, it's a bummer, although we live away from London now our kids are still there, luckily our van complies with the LEZ. Don't blame London though, this is a new EU ruling, you'll find the same thing all over Europe with many large cities now advertising charges for entering.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
LEZ (or Dick Turpin Lives!!)

Hi

Anyone writen to Boris yet, Now the "newt" has been ousted?.

On a serious note BOTH the "clubs" where well off the ball over this one!!

I wrote and added my voice to the complaints over a Year ago when it was still in "disscussion" phase, I got the usual B-S reply about making life "greener" for Londoners, I asked about "permits" for residents, and exemptions for "tourists" (who spend money) but this was ignored, Its all (as usual) about "Stealth Tax". Every Time someone mentions the word "green" I check my wallet to see how much more has been "Nicked"..!!

I Don`t Think I will be visting the capital of (MY???) country again very soon (iF EVER )

pete

PS. the TRANSPORT industry was very slow on this one. They should have said NO Truck will go inside the M25. As soon as the Soud Princes started to run out of champagne and Harrods Hampers. the idea would have been scuppered.

p

PPS
Wyatts Covert Is outside the LEZ, Crystal Park and Wyatts Covert are Inside. Walton on Thames and Chersey are not in the LEZ I believe, although both are inside the M25.

p

Last edited:

Ian T

Free Member
Mar 20, 2008
NR19 NORFOLK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt and Hightop
Exp
MHomes and tugging =40 yrs
Norwich City Council have just announced that parking restrictions in the city are to charged by the foot, in order to reduce the number of big vehicles and make room for smaller ones. Dont know the full details yet, but can see it spreading.

Ian T

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Gwynedd is banning motorhomes from parking in Barmouth and other car parks.
There are TWO caravan club sites in the Zone Abbey Wood and Crystal Palace.
Cars are exempt so the Club is concentrating on tuggers which they have been biased toward for ages, altought they will deny it.
Clare Curtis Thomas a Welsh lady who is MP for Sefton,outside Liverpool,wants to introduce a LEZ there. It is one of the main routes to the commercial areas and the Mways up North.
They need to focus on the rubbish buses and Council vehicles spew out and not forgetting the equipment used at roadworks such as compressors,dumpers,generators and rock breakers.

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
Don't imagine it will do much for the Earls Court shows, mind you I have never been, so wont miss much. The money they lose has got to be noted some where by someone. I will stick with the open country that I love so much.
I will keep on using Bio Fuel and keep the tax mans hands out of my pocket.:ROFLMAO:

Don

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
There are TWO caravan club sites in the Zone Abbey Wood and Crystal Palace.
Cars are exempt so the Club is concentrating on tuggers which they have been biased toward for ages, altought they will deny it.

I must be missing something because I can't think of anything to substantiate such an allegation against the CC.

We went to Abbey Wood in January in our motorhome (which happens to be LEZ compliant) and were warmly received - as we have been at every CC site we have been to. We visit London for a parade each January and fully intend using Abbey Wood again next year.

The LEZ background papers (see earlier LEZ specific threads) show that the CC lobbied as effectively as they could for exemptions for motorhomes (as did other organisations for both MHs and other leisure-use vehicles) but came up against an intransigent GLA/TfL.

Graham

AJ22

Free Member
Aug 5, 2020
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Looking for a new motorhome is a nightmare. I am stunned by what I have found out and dont want anyone getting caught out!!!!!!

Because we live in a controlled parking zone (CPZ) or permit parking area, we are not allowed a vehicle over 17.5 ft which restricts us enough - I dont think any of the new motorhomes are under 18ft. Apparently they are going to make the length restriction shorter too at some point.

Now we are having to check vehicle registrations against the Low Emission Zone compliance as many motorhome are either not compliant, or wont be compliant from 2010.

BEWARE !!!! if your vehicle does not comply you could get a daily charge of up to £200.

The Low Emission Zone (LEZ) affects many motorhomes officially referred to as motorcaravans irrespecitve of whether they are used for commercial or private use.

Cars, motorcycles and small vans (under 1.205 tonnes unladen weight) are not included in the LEZ.

Check your vehicle
To find out if your vehicle is affected, click here Low Emission Zone – Compliance check

If your motorhome or RV is affected click here Home | Transport for London to find out how to comply and understand what you can do to meet the LEZ emissions standards and avoid paying a daily charge.

AND FINALLY .............. Beware about parking in parking/permit bays, as even if you purchase a permit or ticket, you may still get a penalty charge if you vehicle is too long (but you wont find the rules printed on any of the leaflets, back of tickets etc.

CAN YOU TELL THEY DONT WANT MOTORHOMES IN LONDON !!!!!!
Yup and the rules are getting worse for big vehicles. We are moving home soon and can't wait to get out of this hell hole!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back