Beware: new TomToms don't like third party POIs (1 Viewer)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Having decided to upgrade the SatNav after some age-related problems with our ailing TomTom One Europe, I opted for the Which? Magazine recommended TomTom GO 5000 and was very pleased with all the discounts available that will probably keep the price below £200. It also has some nifty new features and looks generally sleek, smooth and smug, a bit like an Apple product.

Problem is, when I came to upload the CCI aires POI, as I always had on my ten year old TomTom One, no chance - forbidden, unavailable. Talk about retrograde step - I never saw that mentioned in the sales literature.

A look at TomTom's support page reveals a very well-hidden statement regarding the uploading of third party POIs: "Note: This feature is not available on the following devices: START 40, START 50, START 60, GO 40, GO 50, GO 60, GO 400, GO 500, GO 600, GO 5000, GO 6000."

Bloody brilliant. So much for 'GO'. Anyway, we're keeping it, and have managed to breathe life back into one of the old TomTom ONEs, so we'll use that for reference and put aires details into the new one manually.

Just thought it worth a mention so no-one else gets caught out.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Thanks for the warning, that's a real retrograde step ..

A sat nav that can't do a simple task like that isn't fit for purpose.. Think I'd be asking for my money back, or an exchange.

firebird123

Free Member
Nov 9, 2013
Mansfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
i am a newbie
does it have a removable memory card ? if so, you could send it to the man in charge of POIs at "Wild Camping" and he would load their POIs onto it.
I am not sure wether membership and small cost would obviously be involved

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Return it and get yourself a garmin 3598. It does everything you could want and a whole lot more. Trip planning with multiple destinations. Easy uploading of custom poi's, fuel coatings, etc etc beats our old TT 1005 hands down

However it's more money, around the £270 mark but you very much get what you pay for

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If you use coords you may find those arent supported on your device either.
I guess it depends on the actual build date, not the purchase date.

Downloading the (very large and slow) latest update file then allows coords to be used.

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Magicsurfbus

You will have realised by now that the Go 5000 is nothing like the previous TT's in the way you work it. I am currently in France and mine, which I got just before I came across here, has been working fine for me.

It is quicker than my previous ones and I downloaded the latest map and system files as soon as I got it. I have good broadband at home and it took less than 40 minutes to download the new +5GB map and the systems files. It then took just over the hour to then load the machine from the computer.

Regarding using Longitude and Latitude it does work fine with those and you do not have to select what format you are entering it just recognises which of the 3 formats you have put in.

There is a expectation that TT will add using 3rd party POI's in future but they are not the quickest kid on the block.

They have now allowed you to set up routes with more than 4 waypoints, as many as 97 now I think, and you can save the route for future use and change the order of the waypoints.

What I have done is sort out where I want to go and set them as "My Places" so they appear on the map. Also what you can do is copy you Favourites from your previous machine to the new one where they appear as My Places.

I take my old unit as a backup and can if I want select my destinations from POI's on the old unit and list them in it as favourites then copy the favourite file to new one. I have not needed to do that as I have taken the data from The Aires Book etcetera

I knew that the Go 5000 did not do POI's but I am still glad I got it as it has been very accurate traffic wise over here even telling me within 250 metres of where the coned off outside lane was going to end.

I managed to get mine for under £160 from John Lewis as a returned unit. Can't complain about that.

Hope you get used to it and are as happy with it as I am.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Which is one reason we've stuck with the older units ... we managed to get a couple of new 'old stock' TomTom Go LIVE 750s for the princely sum of £170 delivered with latest mapping on!:D

I don't like the restricted postcode bit, or that the compass still can't be altered to point in the direction of travel, but other than that its much faster than our previous ones and the road 'problem' notification works brilliantly. (y)

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
Like "magicsurfbus" my old tt went down the tubes after several years of great service !! purchased a tom rom go 60 to replace it, it's P*** cant load any of my POI's, does not have Gps co-ordinate availability either ! bloody crap, cannot load any of the site/aires/stops ect
Much preferred my trusty old XL
Anyone any reccomendatios to replace with what I want/need ??
cheers

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Like "magicsurfbus" my old tt went down the tubes after several years of great service !! purchased a tom rom go 60 to replace it, it's P*** cant load any of my POI's, does not have Gps co-ordinate availability either ! bloody crap, cannot load any of the site/aires/stops ect
Much preferred my trusty old XL
Anyone any reccomendatios to replace with what I want/need ??
cheers
download the latest map update.
It now includes Gps coords function within the update.

OP
OP
magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
As DJA points out above, you can transfer anything nominated as a Favourite on your old TomTom unit to the My Places folder on your new unit, using two cables and the computer support software. That of course assumes you kept Favourites on your old unit, which I didn't. I've just resigned myself to adding aires into My Places every time we navigate to them.

Some other comments about the Go 5000 now we've had it a while:

Never buy it direct from a Halfords store - there were substantial discounts for using Click and Collect, including up to £50 cashback. The final price for ours was around £150. The in-store list price was £265.

If it can't find a POI in its memory it searches online using its live data link, and quite a few aires are listed, although by no means all.

The traffic warning alerts and alternative routing function worked best in the UK, and was largely inaccurate on French autoroutes, in that it frequently warned of non-existent or finished roadworks. It was more accurate in Spain than in France.

TomTom's online update servers are painfully slow - allow hours for a map update. Leave it connected to your computer overnight.

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi magicsurebus

Thanks for the comment re aires being found by the live search on the Internet. Had not thought about that.

Re the downloading of the map updates etc as I have mentioned the map is a very large file and as we have fibre and circa 50mbus download it takes circa 45 minutes to download the files and a little less than 1 hour to transfer them to the Tomtom.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Not only TT units either, my mate bought a garmin and ended up giving it to his daughter for very same reason ( bought another garmin model). As for which:rolleyes: better off looking at a gps forum like pocket gps and get proper pre purchase advice from enthusiasts.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Being a devout Garmin man for years I was unsure when I was recently offered a "retired" TomTom Go 1005. Initially it didn't seem to be interested in third party POI's but on perusing one of the TT forums I found a fix. Then shortly after TT upgraded the software and now as soon as I connect it to the computer/internet it includes the option to manage the maps, POI's etc and it is now easy, much easier than my old Garmin, to add in new POI files although one drawback is I have to watch the memory - there doesn't seem to be the facility to increase it. Tried it out on our German tour and it was excellent.

But my point is, TT have upgraded software in the past so it's quite likely that there is a "fix" for the 5000 in the pipeline.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you bought it online recently just put it all back in the box and return it to the seller. Under the distance selling regulations you don't have to find any fault with the device. You will probably have to pay the return postage. It will sweeten things if you buy the replacement from the original retailer - but you don't have to.

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi tjay

Surprised at your comment that you cannot get lat/long on the go60 as it is available on our go5000.

To use long/lat I do the following from the start screen.

Press 4 dots bottom left

Press Search

Press whole map (top right)

Scroll down to Latitude Longitude and select

Now type in the lat/long in any of the 3 formats it shows as examples.

That's it

I would be very surprised if that is not available on yours especially if it is up to date.

Doug

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Replaced my TT1005 that I use for work with a TT Go6000 a few weeks back
Seems that it's just me that's happy with it

£189 was a no-brainer.

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi tjay

Surprised at your comment that you cannot get lat/long on the go60 as it is available on our go5000.

To use long/lat I do the following from the start screen.

Press 4 dots bottom left

Press Search

That's it

I would be very surprised if that is not available on yours especially if it is up to date.

Doug
My go500 didn't have coords but the next full map/os update sorted it.
Well documented in the tomtom forum pages

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
Doug said,
Press 4 dots bottom left
Press Search
That's it

Just tried it Doug, it works !! Thank you very much, just checked hand book again and cannot see any mention of it !!
but hey it works !! thanks again
Tom

Reactions: DJA

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back