Beware Iboprufen (1 Viewer)

Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
John was admitted to hospital last Sunday after collapsing at home. To cut a long story short it turns out that he had a stomach bleed after taking Iboprufen (as recommended by the dentist after a long extraction that caused a lot of pain and bruising). He didnt take it for long and didn't take as much as the recomended amount or as often.
The doctors knew exactly what the problem was as soon as he told them what he'd taken because they get a lot of hospital admissions for the same reason.
The stomach bleed causes anaemia and by the time he got to hospital his blood count was 80 when it should have been 120 so he had to have a blood transfusion.
He came home on Thursday, very weak and wobbly, when his blood count had gone up and remained climbing. Its going to be a slow job though because he had to go back in to hospital yesterday with the same symptoms. Had more tests and X-rays but as his blood count had got to 89 they don't think it was another bleed and sent him home.
I've been googling like mad (what did we do without the internet?) and found out about iron rich foods (definitely NOT spinach as something in the spinach stops the iron being absorbed - who'd have thought that Popeye was wrong!)
I rang 111 yesterday who were pretty useless by the way - very laborious process answering the same questions time and time again while the woman on the phone ticked the boxes on the computer and then kept haviing to go and ask her superviser. Eventually a 'clinician' who wasn't a doctor rang back and had got totally the wrong info about the problem from the computer and arranged an ambulance for him.
Anyway - it looks like we won't be going to rock and roll or dancing on Thursday or away in the motorhome for the first few weeks in September as planned.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Wow a salutary tale - sorry to hear about John's woes. I've long been wary of taking ibuprofen, but will be even more cautious in future.

Thanks for the informative post, but hope John will make a speedy recovery! Good luck!

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
I’m screwed then,,,,

I take three in the morning ( 400’s)
Three in the afternoon,
Three in the evening!!

Ibuprofen gell on my elbows and wrists, when working!!

But never on an empty stomach!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
When Glenn had a low blood count he was told to eat liver especially beef liver which is the highest food in iron. Unfortunately it isn't easy to find but you can get desiccated liver tablets.
I've got the opposite problem. Heightened iron levels.

ymfb

Free Member
Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
Im sorry to read of your husbands problems.

I had to take a huge amount of Ibuprofen along with very large doses of cocodamol for my back/sciatica as this combination is the only thing that helps. Now sorted.

I already take Lanzaprazole, albeit usually only twice a week, my daughter who has a degenerative back issue was dispensed Lanzaprazole to protect her stomach when she needs the large dose of bufren. Our GPS are keen to make sure we are safe when taking bufren and check we have plenty of Lanzaprazole and take it every day we are using bufren.

Maybe you could ask your GP to prescribe one of these prazole drugs, there are many for future use when taking bufren for pain relief.

Deleted User
I think it wise to be cautious but I think the serious event described is rare, like @ianthebuilder I have been taking fairly large doses, but not that large, on and off for a number of years for arthiritic and now post operative pain.

I am surprised that a clinician advised taking Ibuprofen, in my experience they have always advised or prescribed codeine based pain killers or paracetamol.

I prefer Ibuprofen because it reduces inflammation, codeine causes constipation which was worse than the pain it was intended to relieve.

I do not like taking any pain killers for extended periods and have already tried to stop a week after back surgery but needed to start again but time this week to try again, three weeks after the surgery.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Anyone taking blood thining meds.
Even low dose daily asprin should not take ibuprofen without advice

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I do take Ibrufen but my new doctor took me off daily aspirin as it was found that it wasn't giving the benifits they thought it would.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
@Larrynwin , my daughter has that ( or similar) now but she did the same thing, damaged her stomach with ibuprofen as she suffers from chronic migraines as well as osteoarthritis. I think if a dr had treated her problems properly from the beginning instead of just telling her to go home and take painkillers, she may not have suffered the stomach damage.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Very scary events for you !.

I hope all is well soon.

I have had a hiatus hernia since being a child, I have to be careful with stomach bleeds. One of my daughters has similar issues.

But since breaking my calcaneus (heel) a few years back, I have to take something some days.

I am wary of paracetamol, take aspirin (does nothing ). But Zapain and nurofen plus usually help.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
@Larrynwin , my daughter has that ( or similar) now but she did the same thing, damaged her stomach with ibuprofen as she suffers from chronic migraines as well as osteoarthritis. I think if a dr had treated her problems properly from the beginning instead of just telling her to go home and take painkillers, she may not have suffered the stomach damage.

I believe as a painkiller Paracetamol is less harmful but not an anti inflammatory as is Ibuprofen.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
John was admitted to hospital last Sunday after collapsing at home. To cut a long story short it turns out that he had a stomach bleed after taking Iboprufen (as recommended by the dentist after a long extraction that caused a lot of pain and bruising). He didnt take it for long and didn't take as much as the recomended amount or as often.
The doctors knew exactly what the problem was as soon as he told them what he'd taken because they get a lot of hospital admissions for the same reason.
The stomach bleed causes anaemia and by the time he got to hospital his blood count was 80 when it should have been 120 so he had to have a blood transfusion.
He came home on Thursday, very weak and wobbly, when his blood count had gone up and remained climbing. Its going to be a slow job though because he had to go back in to hospital yesterday with the same symptoms. Had more tests and X-rays but as his blood count had got to 89 they don't think it was another bleed and sent him home.
I've been googling like mad (what did we do without the internet?) and found out about iron rich foods (definitely NOT spinach as something in the spinach stops the iron being absorbed - who'd have thought that Popeye was wrong!)
I rang 111 yesterday who were pretty useless by the way - very laborious process answering the same questions time and time again while the woman on the phone ticked the boxes on the computer and then kept haviing to go and ask her superviser. Eventually a 'clinician' who wasn't a doctor rang back and had got totally the wrong info about the problem from the computer and arranged an ambulance for him.
Anyway - it looks like we won't be going to rock and roll or dancing on Thursday or away in the motorhome for the first few weeks in September as planned.
Thanks for the heads up Steph , and hope Johns recovery is a quick one . There will always be next year for your dancing music festival!

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
I’m screwed then,,,,

I take three in the morning ( 400’s)
Three in the afternoon,
Three in the evening!!

Ibuprofen gell on my elbows and wrists, when working!!

But never on an empty stomach!!
I hope you are doing that on medical advice! If not it is way too much. Please at least check with your doctor if you have not already. We don’t want to lose you!

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
Hope the recovery goes well, heal fast(y)
I'm strictly not allowed Non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs after my health hiccup because of the chances of bleeds.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I have been very, very, very lucky with my health. (y)

Only been to a doctor twice in the last forty years. (Shingles and a general check up which found everything okay but cost me €600.)

I tend to rely on the natural healing process provided free by my body rather than a pharmaceutical company seeking vast profits for their shareholders.

JJ :cool:

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I believe as a painkiller Paracetamol is less harmful but not an anti inflammatory as is Ibuprofen.
Generally ibuprofen is safer than paracetamol. The reason doctors don't prescribe it more often is that due to genetics, ibuprofen is totally non effective for about 10% of the population.

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
All pain killers have their risks. Many people have problems with aspirin attacking the stomach lining, ibuprofen not only has the risks above but can affect the liver. Paracetamol is very easy to overdose on so you take your pick and take your chances. Ibuprofen gel though seems to not have too many side affects and in many cases is more effective for joint and muscular problems than the pills

Baileysbus

Free Member
Aug 2, 2016
Fife
Funster No
Exp
Start of 2016
Not trying to beat you on the numbers game, but my count was down to 58 when I got admitted to hospital last month and ended up with 4 bags of blood and a course of iron tablets. I have an endoscopy tomorrow :unsure: but am expecting it to be a stomach bleed caused by daily aspirin use :(. Have already had scans and colon check and there's nowt there. Feeling great since stopping the aspirin (y)

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Generally ibuprofen is safer than paracetamol. The reason doctors don't prescribe it more often is that due to genetics, ibuprofen is totally non effective for about 10% of the population.
Are you sure, I would be interested to know why you say that as it is the exact opposite to my GP’s and hospital consultants advice.

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
As a Retire Nurse I really do despair when I see an advert for any of the Non Steroidal Anti inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDS)

NON of the advertising bumpf mentions to take care with stomach pains and to stop if any occur and that includes Gels too
Personally I am sensitive to ALL such medicines so I fully understand how John feels

Some of the pharma companies promote it as if they are a panacea for all ills - when in reality they can cause more problems than they solve

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Thank you for the reminder, it's so easy to take a ibuprofen to help ease pain, I have it prescribed for as and when I need it for a long standing neck problem that at the minute is pretty bad, I think I'm going to explore an alternative route and see how I go.

Deleted User
All medicines have side effects, just look at the leaflets in the packets, if you took notice of every one of them you would never take anything.

If you have taken meds before without effect then take them again.......in moderation of course.......as with with all things.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Have found this thread very interesting, (retired nurse) Although adverts do not say anything about stomach problems, the advisory leaflets with them do, but how many of us read those. I take Ibuprofen as pain relief, up to 600mg at a time as advised by my GP, might take this dose a couple of times a year. It does not affect my asthma thankfully.
Am unable to take Paracetamol as it causes facial swelling, hasn't got to my windpipe and I am not about to risk it, pity, as it was an effective analgeia for me. Dr not willing for me to have a trial under supervision, says it is too big a risk and not cost effective, think the latter is the real reason.
agree with @matamoros take in modertion if no side affects
Hope ll goe well for the OP

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
For us when Ibuprofen or Naproxen has been prescribed we are also prescribed one a day of Esomeprazole which apparently helps protect against damage.
Me too. It seems to work.

I have to take fairly large doses of Naproxen when an old back injury flares up. Fortunately the attacks seldom last more than 7 to 10 days before getting better. Even so, my Dr. says the esomaprozol must be taken at the same time as naproxen to avoid stomach damage.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Never been allergic to anything in my life until one day some years ago I was having a cupper in a garden centre. I had a slight ache somewhere, cant remember exactly where but my partner gave me a couple of Ibuprofen.
Within a few minutes my hands started itching, I ran cold water on them to no effect then my tongue started to swell which was a bit of a concern. I drove myself straight to A&E and they took me straight though and put me on an anti histamine drip which sorted it out but it was a bit worrying just how fast it can become serious. The doctor suggested that I just stick to Co-codamol which I have done ever since..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back