LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
My 'Shirley' is a 22-year old Holdsworth Valentine on a VW T4 chassis.

I will soon be in the happy financial position to be able to replace her with a newer model.

Here's the rub - Shirley has never let me down in the 12 years I've had her. She's only done 45,000 miles and her chassis is basically quite sound.

The things which let her down are
1) Her appearance; she's constructed of a gel-coated board which has quite a lot of moisture ingress.
2) The bathroom has also seen much better days and needs a new shower tray and vanity unit.

So does the panel think that it would be worth tarting Shirley up and keeping her going for another 10 years or sell her and spend upwards of £25,000 to replace her?

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Could turn into a money pit once you start trying to make improvements.
I'd replace with a newer fresher model

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
If you are happy with the size and layout, I would suggest investing in a new shower tray and vanity unit and keeping her.
On the other hand, you mention moisture ingress. If this is getting into the main structure, it could cause a lot of damage. If this can be fixed without too much cost, do it, otherwise it could be a good reason to start thinking about replacing her.

Kim H

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 24, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
Since 2011
If I were you, I'd invest in another Shirley. And I mean, invest in another van that works as well as she has.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
For me I need to know a bit more.
How much is Shirley worth as she is.
How much cost is involved (that you can tell atm) taking note of @Allanm s point about the ingress damage
How much is she worth after you do these tasks
Would you upgrade to a new Shirley (same sort of layout and van) or change style of van and/or layout
Personal question now - refuse to answer if you so wish - Would you be borrowing the money to buy a new Shirley or slightly better put, if borrowing the money is it well within your budget and having little or no effect on your outgoings.

I had one that needed a tart up and spent only a couple of hundred changing stripes and a bit of plastipaint. Sold her (and I had no intention of doing so when I was doing her up) and the new owners dismantled exactly what I did.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
I would let economics make the decision for you, and subtract emotional attachment from the situation.

1. How much is Shirley worth at present?
  2. How much would it cost to put Shirley right?
  3. How much would (2) above make to the resale value?
  4. How much would it cost to replace Shirley?

Then:

• How much would a newer model depreciate?
  • What else you could use that same money for?
  • Are you satisfied with what you already have?

I think you will quickly find your own answer.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
It's 22 years old now how much longer is it going to last before you have to start spending real money getting it sorted. Problem is once you get on the Merry Go Round it's very hard to get off. If it's got damp, is looking it's age then perhaps it's time for a change. Anything you spend on it is wasted. No matter how good you make it it is still a 22 year old MH.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I would guess a good few of the guys on here would love to be your new valentine, as well!!!:love::love::love:;)

OP
OP
Janine

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Thanks for you replies!

At the moment, Shirley is worth about £5000. Obviously she won't depreciate much more :)

I love the layout and am struggling to find another van with something similar ie an 'L' shape lounge, over-cab storage and a shower room in a van less than 5.5m.

Mechanically, she's pretty basic - no fancy computerised techy things to go wrong. I do worry that there is too much to go wrong on newer vans!

Here's a link in case you can think of anything similar.:
http://www.holdsworth.vwt4camper.info/html/vw_t4_holdsworth_valentine_spe.html

My budget for another van (without borrowing) would be £25,000.

Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
I cant advise on a replacement and if your van stays in good order it will possibly be worth more and could even appreciate in value. T4 vans are fetching good money and appear to be sought after also is 25k going to but you something so much better ?
Sorry didnt read 1+2 if those arnt expensive repairs she could still be a keeper

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
It won't be long and that van will be a classic. I would spend some money on her and keep. Do you know about the T4/T5 forum. Full of good info. Happy travels. (y)

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Layout, layout, layout. If you cannot better the layout, tart her up. Spend some of your money on a good mechanical once over, fix up the body problems, and then you have the van you always wanted!

OP
OP
Janine

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Well you have all helped me to come to a decision!

Shirley's a keeper :)

I will be using her over the summer of happiness we have planned and then get her into a workshop who will restore her to her original beauty.

Phew!

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Nice one! Well done, keep us updated when she goes for her cosmetic surgery.

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
A good decision Janine.
Now you can afford to buy that super duper Uke that you have always wanted.
Brisey.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
just be aware that if the gelcoat on the body panels is blistering, a proper fix is not economically viable. a quick fix is to grind out the blisters and use filler, then respray and fit new graphics. on a 5.5m van that could cost £2000. the shower room may also take more work than expected, cracked shower trays and basins lead to damp in the walls and floor.

is shirley going to be worth more after spending £3k+ making her look a little fresher? NO and at 22 years old, plenty more parts are corroding and rubber parts perishing. sorry, but it sounds like a money pit to me

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Dump Shirley and buy new, once you start to replace stuff (if like me) you will end up finding other stuff that needs replacing, could end up being a bit of a endless list of jobs and £

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Given that several £thousands is going to go down the river in depreciation alone on most purchases (unless an absolute bargain) then I would have thought that would be money far better spent on restoring a van whose layout seems ideal for Janine and with which she is generally pleased (and knows very well). Looks like a nice vehicle.

My father had an old saying, "when you buy second-hand, you are buying something that others want shot of" and given my experiences in helping out a couple of members here who have bought second-hand "lemons", I would be extremely wary about buying any used motor home. Not all second-hand dealers are very supportive - or even nice people - once they get their hands on your hard earned money (note: this doesn't apply to all)

And the same applies to Janine's Shirley. She isn't going to get that much for her M/H without spending money on it, so she may as well enjoy it a bit longer. If, at the end of another year, she changes her mind, then the cost of doing Shirley up will be much the same as any newer purchase would have lost in depreciation. It has cost her effectively nothing more than she would otherwise lose, and she still has £25k to go shopping for a replacement van with.

Good decision, Janine

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
All I will say is the T4 is a cracking base vehicle and all that followed by VW were built down to a price

T4 last of the quality VW's and barley run in :)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
spend upwards of £25,000 to replace her?

Technically you would be buying into trouble. You have a nice simple chassis, good make. Upgrade to Euro 3,4,5 and you buy into all the modern crap that causes a load of grief. You read it every day on here "this flashes on, this does not come one, I'm in limp home mode, the control panel is flashing at me" so as long as Shirl is not costing you £££££ the bits you talk about are way way short of £25K.

We are in a similar boat, a few less years, many more miles.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
I get attached to vehicles that have seen me through without a fuss,so i am loath to part with them,so i would keep Shirley. When passing old vehicles in yards with a head lamp missing,/tyres flat,the odd wheel missing off the back twins,i say to first wife. " Look at that poor old gal,when she was new,drivers would nearly fight to be the one to drive her,there she is,still waiting,ready, for another run up the frog and toad".
So,if your comfy in her,why not head off exploring again together....." Last one there is a cissy!. To Infini...ooops the Horizon and beyond."
Tea Bag

OP
OP
Janine

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Shirley flew through her MOT this year. She had a bit of welding round the spring hangers (?) a couple of years ago then she was waxoyled so hopefully the tin worm will be kept at bay a little bit. Timing chain was done last year and her tyres will be replaced this year as they are 6 years old.

Diamond Dave Newell gives her a thorough going-over every year so mechanically she is sound.

All-in-all she is a very comfortable Tardis who, although a bit of an ugly duckling, does everything she is asked to do without question :)

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I have to disagree with the majority here.
This is based purely upon putting my own personal look at what i requested in terms of age and how much for the newer model.
Based upon this I am taking my own advice and letting the wife know in the morning !

Other serious thoughts include blowing the son's inheritance.
Spending quite a bit of sons inheritance in doing her up properly and enjoying her.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back