Best winter route to Benidorm/Alicante (1 Viewer)

chrisboyo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
Having just got home from our first winter trip,
:thumb:Morocco/Spain/Portugal was great:thumb:

We are already thinking to next years winter trip and are thinking of somewhere in Spain Jan - March
:Cool:Benidorm / Aliancante area:Cool:
We would prefer to avoid toll roads if poss but are not averse to the odd section if it would make make things easier.
So any suggestions, with overnight stops if poss

Thanks Funsters

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
Ferry to Dunkirk, first night at Mouliherne in the Loire (English run site), second night at free aire in Ondre Plage, Cartagena next day. OR; Ferry to St Marlo, first night at free aire in Ondre Plage, Cartagena next day. Set the sat nav to no tolls and, as you should have discovered this year, the main roads are, mainly, empty in France and Spain.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
You could consider the Ferry to Santander, if only for one way. If you add up your fuel costs, cross channel ferry and the odd toll road, the costs depending on your fuel consumption can be comparable.
Last year in very cold weather we went via Rouen, Everoux, Chartres, Bordeaux, Irun, Zaragoza, Valencia.

At another time we avoided the new toll road from Bordeaux to Irun by going via Pau to Huesca which was quick and good but I have not travelled this route in the winter.

Alan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
My route was a big out of the way, I went via Heyuluv(Mel & Chris) then down to Lyon to see my Goddaughter and then via Port Vendres.

Coming back was via Zaragosa (shit hole) Haro , Bordeaux, and then Parc Verger, then via Brezolles

I went by toll road as I consider it easier and possibly as economical..A number may disagree but a steady 56mph I was getting close to 30mpg, when I did the non toll the mpg dropped and my BP went up.

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
You could consider the Ferry to Santander, if only for one way. If you add up your fuel costs, cross channel ferry and the odd toll road, the costs depending on your fuel consumption can be comparable.
Last year in very cold weather we went via Rouen, Everoux, Chartres, Bordeaux, Irun, Zaragoza, Valencia.

At another time we avoided the new toll road from Bordeaux to Irun by going via Pau to Huesca which was quick and good but I have not travelled this route in the winter.

Alan

We had booked Santander last January. Big mistake. That's why we ended up in St Marlo. The Bay of Biscay is a very unfriendly place in the winter. Our ferry, along with several others, was cancelled. The tunnel has got to be the best bet in mid winter. Also, the Santander ferries sale at infrequent times, unlike Dover/Dunkirk, and the next one can be a week later!!

We use the same route through France. The A10 toll isn't very long and can be avoided by using an easterly route.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back