best way to put satellite tv in my winnebago ? (1 Viewer)

do1977

Free Member
Oct 28, 2008
where i park up
Funster No
MH
A class rv
hi i hope someone can help
i am trying to fit satellite tv in my motorhome so i can watch sky
i have a sky box and the cable to wire it up
i bought a satellite dish and a sat finder and it is locating the satellites but there is no signal on the digi box
i have tried another digi box that i know works indoors but it will not give me any picture
i know the box and co ax cable is ok so it must be the dish (which is a thompson)
does anyone know if it is a common problem with these dishes or is there something else i have missed ?? i am quite baffled by this and would appreciate any advice on this
failing all else i know you can buy a freeview system with a small dish for about to £100 - does anyone know if these are any good ? i was hoping to be able to use it in europe

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi

Sorry, can't advise on the Sky box, maybe someone else can help on setting it up.. frankly I think it's a waste of effort .. better with a free view box.. others will disagree

I started out with a cheap digi box and 60cm domestic dish clamped onto the rear ladder, since bought a Maxview Crank-Up but still use the same box..
With that set up you will get UK TV as far the South of France and perhaps into Northern Spain, thereafter you can pick up the Astra southern beam with plenty of English channels.
I used the same set up in Morocco and tuned into Nile Sat which had several English channels and international news.
Have a look at the Satellite forum, lots of threads about this topic..

My philosophy with Sat TV is to keep it simple.. learn as you go along and only buy what you need and understand.. the small suitcase style systems work, some swear by them .. others swear AT them :roflmto:

Check Maplins, they had a domestic 60cm dish and digi box for £60 .. they also sell the Maxview Crank-Up

hth

Jim

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
Hi do1977

Are you sure you are on the correct satellite?

To check turn on your Sky box press the 'services' button then press 4 then 6 the 2 top bars will give you your signal and quality strengths the next number in the box below should be 0002 and in the box below 07d4 if these numbers are not showing you are tuned to the wrong satellite!

I usually set the dish to arount 25 degrees elevation the turn it through 'south' towards west as soon as the sat finder buzzes loud indicating a satellite I turn it a little further west slowly (not very much) to the next satellite and that is usually Sky I then fine tune the elevation for the stongest signal.

Regards Pat

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Randonneur

Free Member
Mar 31, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
4 years
Just as a matter of interest, recently we tried for many days trying to adjust the dish and LNB to communicate with a Sky digibox that was installed on the wall of the house of our Friends, we got signal strength and signal quality but still couldn't get a picture. We then tried our tripod with an ordinary black mesh Sky minidish (same as was bolted to the wall) and coupled it to their digibox and bingo a picture and everything was OK. We then went through it logically and swapped the LNB on their dish but still no picture. It was only when a satellite Engineer came to have a look and was told that the dish had been dropped (not the LNB) so was out of alignment (it is an eliptical dish) that they found out that that was the problem. We didn't think that this would be the explanation but it just goes to show how wrong you can be.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back