Jul 29, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Plus s 670SLT
Exp
Since 2014
Hi All.

We pick up our first M/W in just over two weeks, and the next day planning a nine day tour of Wales. I have searched the forum making notes of useful tips, places and sites, now overloaded.

I have joined C&CC, Britstops and use UKcamping, got the C&CC books will have Britstops in a couple of days.

We are looking at a new style of holidaying with the M/H, staying at places or attraction we fancy and moving on.

Down to my question, at last I hear you say.

What's a good method of going about it:

Booking all sites. (my first instinct; being a bit on the sad side)
Booking only the major stops and using CS's, Britstops and small site; booking them whilst away.

As the mobile reception is bad in area's of north Wales, not sure if I will be able to contact sites.

Hope this make sense.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Point and drive with a motor home you don't need to plan
wink.gif

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
My personal opinion for what its worth is just turn up at a site and you'll be fine, I would only book a site if I need to be in that area for example a running event I have entered and want near the start line. When we collected our First MH we left four days later for Germany and France with nothing booked and have only booked one site since, that was lake Garda in July so knew it would be busy.

We have just returned from 19 days in Sweden Norway and Denmark and never booked anything apart from outward and return ferry.

Upvote 0
Jul 1, 2012
Nr Whitby
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
On & off since late70s
I'm with Billthe drill...

'Point and drive with a motor home you don't need to plan
wink.gif
'

Upvote 0

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
if you dont book and plan then nothing can go wrong you cant drift from a agenda if you dont have 1
just have fun and enjoy good luck and safe roads

Upvote 0

Jackyboy61

Free Member
Jun 6, 2014
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Wow ,spend your first day & night getting to now your motorhome near or at home ,where every thing is ,how it works ,then just take to the road no planing of routs ,or where to stay,there are plenty of camp sites ,and free stops up here in North Wales and phone signal is good ,but beware of the traffic wardens in the towns thay bite.

Upvote 0
Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
I would call ahead to your first site the day before you leave home and plan to stay there for at least a couple of nights so that you a) know exactly where you are going and how long it's likely to take and b) have time to familiarise yourself with your motorhome. After that I would just 'go with the flow', except for when you are planning to stay at Brit Stops as I think they suggest you call ahead, particularly given that it's still school holidays.
Good luck on your first trip out - hope the weather is kind to you.:)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C
Jul 29, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2014
Many thank for your very useful advice. I'm going to try and free role as most of you have suggested, it goes against my basic tendencies, but you know what they say, when in M/H's.

Upvote 0

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
I'd agree with all the posts on here but one I'd like to 'colour in a bit' is about getting to know the van before you disappear off into the ulu. First night in all our vans has been outside our front door. Entertains the neighbours too!

Upvote 0

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
1st night in our van was in bruges Belgium but never forget so long as u have the net there is always fun for advice so why stay in ya drive go for it and learn on the move

Upvote 0

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
No plans then you font fluster when running late ....nothing worse than being on a schedule as things get in the way

You've everything with you you need in the van just follow the road and see where you end up

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C
Jul 29, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2014
From all the replies, the message is loud and clear; point and go.

Thanks for all the good advice, can't wait to start pointing in the direction of Wales.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back