"best view" mirror adjustment (1 Viewer)

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
can the "best view " rear mirrors can be adjusted forwards, ( the fitting not the mirror) as it seems to be slightly blocking my vision at roundabouts. It looks like the arm fitting might slide forwards but I dont want to force it

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
I very much doubt it. Beneath the plastic shroud on mine is a fixed metal arm.

I also have problems at roundabouts. You soon learn to move your upper body to compensate for the blind spot.

Edit: The mirrors used by Carthago are made by Mekra. There is a UK Mekra distributor based in Sussex who may be able to advise.

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
I've asked a dealer about this when he was replacing the FOS window under warranty, which involved removing the mirror arm. The position of the mirror is not adjustable, although the design does suggest that it is. I'd like it farther forward as well.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Had one or two close shaves at French roundabouts as one of those tidly little cars, much loved by the French, suddenly shot across my bows having been hidden by the mirrors. As we are LHD I’ve now got used to moving my head around when across the channel.
I guess RHD have the same problem in the U.K.

Richard.
PS. Scout, beware of high speed builders trucks coming through narrow bits of road.
Those mirror assemblies are expensive.

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
It does make you wonder why they call them "best view"

the more I drive it it the more I get used to it, but anything that blocks vision cant be called best view....

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
The phrase "Best View" has, AFAIK, only been associated with those mirrors fitted by Hymer, manufactured by Arcol in Spain. Perhaps the OP is a previous Hymer owner ?

I've recently used Magnum Vehicle Solutions (MVS) to replace a mirror.....a supplier recommended by Mekra UK. Looking at the MVS website, the current Carthago bus mirror is available in short/medium/long. I would guess the OP already has the long version.

<Broken link removed>

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
The phrase "Best View" has, AFAIK, only been associated with those mirrors fitted by Hymer, manufactured by Arcol in Spain. Perhaps the OP is a previous Hymer owner ?

I've recently used Magnum Vehicle Solutions (MVS) to replace a mirror.....a supplier recommended by Mekra UK. Looking at the MVS website, the current Carthago bus mirror is available in short/medium/long. I would guess the OP already has the long version.

<Broken link removed>

Ive never had a Hymer, this is where I got the "best view" from

1619768606145.png

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Rear view cameras are replacing mirrors on lorries and cars so inevitably this innovation will arrive on MHs soon.

It will still be a challenge to slim down the A pillar to improve cab visibility.

Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Rear view cameras are replacing mirrors on lorries and cars so inevitably this innovation will arrive on MHs soon.

It will still be a challenge to slim down the A pillar to improve cab visibility.
Seem to recall some photos on Fun of a moho with cameras as an option.
That was ages ago and not heard any more.
Was it a Pilote or something French?

Richard.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007

Richard.
Yes I have a vague recollection like yours.

I'm eager to see what features the next all-new Ducato will get (due 2024). Now FCA has merged with PSA into Stellantis, we could see some interesting innovations. The facelift X290 is getting very long in the tooth, and the cab feels rather antiquated. Compared with our new car and its digital dash they are a generation apart.

Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Yes I have a vague recollection like yours.

I'm eager to see what features the next all-new Ducato will get (due 2024). Now FCA has merged with PSA into Stellantis, we could see some interesting innovations. The facelift X290 is getting very long in the tooth, and the cab feels rather antiquated. Compared with our new car and its digital dash they are a generation apart.
Yes, I quite agree.
We can pay north of £100k for a new motorhome and the cab is miles behind most mid-range cars.
We don't even have steering wheel controls for the radio.

Richard.

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Problem is the cab is still really a commercial vehicle. They'll probably make the dashboard larger to accommodate more used plastic cups and take away wrappers.

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp

Richard.
I think it was one of the LeVoyageur ranges last year. Are they still doing it?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back