Best Value Air Awning (1 Viewer)

Jan 30, 2021
Sheffield, South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Serrano
Exp
Hi There,

I'm new to the forum and motor homing. I have had a caravan for 5 years but have just traded it in and purchased an Auto Trail Serrano. I can't pick it up until (hopefully) march when the dealership opens up again. In the meantime i'm looking to buy a decent air awning and was wondering if you kind folk could point me in the right direction. I'm not looking for a full length awning, probably about 3 meters long. TIA

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
Hi,

We went thru this exercise last year and after looking at loads on site in Spain over the winter, we opted for the Kampa Rally Air Pro 330

Gerry 'n Anne

Jun 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
Since 2008

Kampa Motor Ace AIR 400 S inflatable motorhome awning - 2018 CE7153​

We bought this about a couple of years ago (at the time it was the previous year's model), it comes with a warning about exposure to extended periods of UV so is described as not suitable for seasonal/permanent use. The newer model does not have the same UV exposure problem but is twice the price!
It is like having a conservatory on your motorhome and is useful for the dog. All the doors and windows zip out leaving it like a canopy if you wish but really handy in mixed weather scenarios.

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Another vote for the Quest.
(Are you sure that you need an air awning - need to be careful with payload.....and they are heavy.....)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
We were in Playa Tropicana in Jan-March last year and when storm Gloria hit all the frame based awnings and tents either had to come down or they blew away. The air based awnings were very robust, they flexed in the wind, but "popped" back seconds later.
IMG_20200121_094926_0.jpg

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
We have a Quest 4, it is fast and easy to put up/ down, can easily be moved around the pitch to suit different uses, ie; at entrance door to use as porch, drying area for self/dog, at back/ front lounging area/ bar🍺

Mick and Ruth

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 10, 2017
Wybunbury, Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Apache 634 Hi Line
Exp
Since 2019
Do you need an awning? We have the Auto trail fitted Thule wind out one but we never stop anywhere more than two or at the very most three nights and have found that has sufficed. When I bought my van the dealer knew I was a newbie and when I was speaking about awnings he told me to hang fire for 12 mths to see if I felt I really needed one as he had been motorhoming all over Europe and never used or felt he needed one, I'm glad I took his advice.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Do you need an awning? We have the Auto trail fitted Thule wind out one but we never stop anywhere more than two or at the very most three nights and have found that has sufficed. When I bought my van the dealer knew I was a newbie and when I was speaking about awnings he told me to hang fire for 12 mths to see if I felt I really needed one as he had been motorhoming all over Europe and never used or felt he needed one, I'm glad I took his advice.
Good advice. Motorhomes are different to caravans. The latter is all about the destination, the former is all about the journey. We rarely stop in any place long enough to want to put an awning up because the journey is what we want. If you want to stop a long time in the same place a caravan will always be better, because you have the tow car to go out to the surrounding area.

OP
OP
Goonan8
Jan 30, 2021
Sheffield, South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Serrano
Exp
Thank you for this, I'm going to take your advice and see how we get on over the next few months.

Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
We bought a Vango Galli tall 2 , its a lovely bit of quality kit that is easy to put up and really useful to have as a ‘base’ if you do drive off sites.... but... and its a big but, they are great fun trying to put it back in the bag and incredibly heavy, we used it everyday for 2 months in spain, but I avoid taking it for short journeys.
while you are enjoying your new moho why dont you get a small driveaway awning outwell revolution or a tent ,? These are really helpful to chuck stuff in that you dont want in the van, wellies, bags, rubbish etc.
have fun!

0644D4A1-F218-4D6E-A607-CC77588BFEF0.jpeg DA39EF8D-930E-4676-9A76-E3E8CD5CAA01.jpeg

Mar 26, 2020
Uranus
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 185
Exp
Following our experience with a 400 Kampa Air Pro awning whilst tugging, we've gone for a similar, but driveaway, one. The only downside, as stated above, is its weight and squeezing it through the motorhome's doorway. The downsides don't affect us, as the awning travels in our little trailer. However, Kampa do do smaller driveaway air awnings.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We've been motor homing for nearly 20 years and never bothered with an awning. Only used the wind out awning a handful of times so probably give it a year or so and see how you get on without one.

Apr 1, 2020
Funster No
MH
Zefiro 696
Exp
I’m a newbie
We love our quest pop up

CFEC4E82-72F7-4358-A4ED-82B18323E15B.jpeg E3E49D9F-E5AF-4A6C-9C21-924C85DE3864.jpeg

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
We bought a Vango Galli tall 2 , its a lovely bit of quality kit that is easy to put up and really useful to have as a ‘base’ if you do drive off sites.... but... and its a big but, they are great fun trying to put it back in the bag and incredibly heavy, we used it everyday for 2 months in spain, but I avoid taking it for short journeys.
while you are enjoying your new moho why dont you get a small driveaway awning outwell revolution or a tent ,? These are really helpful to chuck stuff in that you dont want in the van, wellies, bags, rubbish etc.
have fun!

View attachment 465501 View attachment 465502
This is true. We have a OR drive away awning. It is great for chucking all the rubbish in but unfortunately that's all it is useful for. We have never sat in it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back