Best times to travel in the UK ? (1 Viewer)

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
I hate driving in traffic and try and plan to miss the worst congestion...........I don't, out of choice drive at night - the quietest - but not enjoyable

Monday mornings and Friday afternoons are a definite no .............

I've noticed that Saturdays, Sunday mornings and Friday mornings are the best (for me) - much less HGV traffic and less other traffic

Heading for Spain or France I try to get there on a Sunday morning for the same reasons

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
We regularly drive from Ayrshire to NW Highlands ... we leave about 7pm on Friday and come back sunday afternoon. The roads are generally quiet and pleasant.
Last time we went we drove up late Monday morning and returned Friday morning .... it was unpleasant ... never again!

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
Always avoid rush hour both ends of the day Monday to Friday including Friday afternoons - best Sunday and Saturday mornings:D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
Heading for France from north essex to the tunnel we normally leave about 6:00pm and rarely have any problems, traffic is heavy, but we can normally flow at 55-60mph, we then hit the Dartford bridge at about 7:00 which is normally ok by then. There will always be accidents which totally screw things up, but they can be anytime, so apart from rush hours I wouldn't worry too much, just aim to get to France as soon as possible.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I hate driving in traffic and try and plan to miss the worst congestion...........I don't, out of choice drive at night - the quietest - but not enjoyable

Monday mornings and Friday afternoons are a definite no .............

I've noticed that Saturdays, Sunday mornings and Friday mornings are the best (for me) - much less HGV traffic and less other traffic
Heading for Spain or France I try to get there on a Sunday morning for the same reasons
It is Saturday morning 9am I have just zoomed past Wembley stadium and Watford in silence at around 100mph. Extreme comfort sitting opposite this gorgeous bird who keeps rubbing my knee:). That is it we are now arriving at Milton Keynes with my second cup of complementary coffee. Next stop Birmingham then on to Edinburgh arriving at around 2pm relaxed and ready for the next leg of our journey, not seen a single HGV.(y)

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
buttons, 100 mph? You must be one of those far too talented a driver to have to obey laws like the rest of us. And no doubt you are the world'sgreatest lover too.

Or is this an example of ironing?

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Think he could be on a train (y)
We are indeed on a train, one of those leaning type trains that can corner at 130 mph it is a bit like being on a motorbike:) but very comfortable, we are north of Birmingham already and picking up speed for next stop at Crewe.(y)

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
We are indeed on a train, one of those leaning type trains that can corner at 130 mph it is a bit like being on a motorbike:) but very comfortable, we are north of Birmingham already and picking up speed for next stop at Crewe.(y)

There probably picking up speed so they miss Crewe!!!

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Sunday morning, preferably as soon as it gets light and aim to finish as soon after lunchtime as practicable. In years of driving all over the UK (and Europe) that is my preferred driving time.
Unfortunately that interferes with our now important habit of a lie-in on Sundays, so I just try to avoid Mondays, Fridays and rush hour any day.

But once we're over the ditch it really doesn't seem to make much difference as long as we avoid cities (which we do).

OP
OP
Barclaybasher
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Sunday morning, preferably as soon as it gets light and aim to finish as soon after lunchtime as practicable. In years of driving all over the UK (and Europe) that is my preferred driving time.Unfortunately that interferes with our now important habit of a lie-in on Sundays, so I just try to avoid Mondays, Fridays and rush hour any day.
But once we're over the ditch it really doesn't seem to make much difference as long as we avoid cities (which we do).

Agree, but I like Sunday in France just to get past Paris or Rouen(y)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
There is no longer a 'best time in the Uk' unless of course the fuel has run out & I'm the only one carrying his own. :)
@ianthebuilder time is next best.
It is Saturday morning 9am I have just zoomed past Wembley stadium and Watford in silence at around 100mph. Extreme comfort sitting opposite this gorgeous bird who keeps rubbing my knee:). That is it we are now arriving at Milton Keynes with my second cup of complementary coffee. Next stop Birmingham then on to Edinburgh arriving at around 2pm relaxed and ready for the next leg of our journey, not seen a single HGV.(y)
But like the planes what disease will you have been given?

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
There is no longer a 'best time in the Uk' unless of course the fuel has run out & I'm the only one carrying his own. :)
@ianthebuilder time is next best.

But like the planes what disease will you have been given?
None of us are sterile gl a bit of shite never did anyone any harm....;)
We are now sitting comfortable in our hotel room after a nice meal, we picked up a nice car from the station then attempted to get through the city, the place is absolutely rammed I have never seen it so full. Heading into town tomorrow for a bit of retail therapy the setting off north maybe find a bit of snow.;)

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Yes, I agree, I loved night trunk work. But try selling the principal to SWMBO?:). Though I did suggest she could sleep in the rear whilst I drove.(y)
I think night trunking is not as good as it was. More parcel firms etc on the road at night now and more road closures for road work etc.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Never but you have to to get to a ferry,,,6 WEEKS IN france and spain,,not a problem, 24 miles north of Portsmouth guess what, accident,3 lanes solid.BUSBY:xsmile::xsmile:

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
If we have to travel during the week, Wednesdays seem quietest. Other wise it’s early Saturday going South to tunnel , Sunday morning coming North clearing Dartford by 08.00 usually sees us back in North Yorkshire for a late lunch.

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
None of us are sterile gl a bit of shite never did anyone any harm....;)
We are now sitting comfortable in our hotel room after a nice meal, we picked up a nice car from the station then attempted to get through the city, the place is absolutely rammed I have never seen it so full. Heading into town tomorrow for a bit of retail therapy the setting off north maybe find a bit of snow.;)

If heading up the M90 past Kinross, look right towards the hills and wave :)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
If heading up the M90 past Kinross, look right towards the hills and wave :)
Hi G-RMPS I did wave but I think you would have needed some pretty good binoculars' to spot me. We followed the sat nav from Edinburgh to Fort William, lovely drive but a bit bleak across the Trossachs with plenty of snow on the high ground.....overall the weather was very good....:xThumb:

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
From 10 pm at night till 5 am Best time of the day to drive anywhere!
Disagree it can be a nitemare if travelling on uk motorways as most work done now at nite and sometimes you have to take long diversions , complete closures are not uncommon

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Never but you have to to get to a ferry,,,6 WEEKS IN france and spain,,not a problem, 24 miles north of Portsmouth guess what, accident,3 lanes solid.BUSBY:xsmile::xsmile:
You got That far north. Good grief the gods must like you... Lol

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back