Best time to buy? (1 Viewer)

Sopworth

Free Member
May 23, 2020
Funster No
MH
Keen to buy 1st MH
Exp
Having been hunting around for months trying to find a suitable/damp free MH I feel I may have to give up the ghost and wait for the current silly season to end. The prices have been driving high by current demand which I’m sure will drop when air travel becomes more attractive again.
So as I’m sat on a healthy chunk of cash ready to buy, when is the best time to pick up good deals in a normal climate?
I’m guessing end of September would be a good time to pick up ex-rental when seasonal demand dries up. But what about trade sellers? Same I assume?

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I think the best time to buy is when the one you want is available at the price you want to pay irrespective of the time of year. Are the current high sales a blip or will they continue are the prices higher than they ought to be or are they going to rise higher? Who knows
If you've been looking for months maybe you're looking for a good motorhome at an unreasonable price?

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Have to agree with The Wino
If you are after a specific van buy it
If you wait till September you are limiting its use till the spring
I had a quick search for if we were to changes our van.
I would be going for the same model again so no point changing
There is currently only one for sale in the uk
Prices seemed to make a big jump about five years ago and have never went down again

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Its like trying to pick the right time to buy shares or a house when you look back you will know exactly when you should have bought but its too late. Theres also if you are looking for an older one in good nick a disparity between buyers who think it ought to be cheap cause its old and sellers thinking its worth a bit as the others that age are sheds.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

Sopworth

Free Member
May 23, 2020
Funster No
MH
Keen to buy 1st MH
Exp
Thanks for all the replies. And I totally hear what you are saying. I’ve kind of been restricted in my search by living in Scotland and most of what we are after coming on the market deep in England. When I’ve found one writhing striking distance it’s gone before I can view - alway for asking price.
My thread title probably mislead what I was trying to gauge and that is: under a normal motorhome climate for buying/selling is there a point in the year that prices drops or dealers are looking to shift stock? Like I said, I suspect that will be end of season but as I’m new to this market I thought I’d ask some advice.
I’m happy to sit out this summer now as there is little around that fits our requirements without travelling a long, long way (which I may have to, I get that). That said, if the right MH came on the market I’d buy it without question. I get that this summer I may have to pay more. My small worry is that if this layout isn’t for us then if I trade next summer and the demand is less than this year I could end up losing quite a bit. Much to consider.

Upvote 0

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks for all the replies. And I totally hear what you are saying. I’ve kind of been restricted in my search by living in Scotland and most of what we are after coming on the market deep in England. When I’ve found one writhing striking distance it’s gone before I can view - alway for asking price.
My thread title probably mislead what I was trying to gauge and that is: under a normal motorhome climate for buying/selling is there a point in the year that prices drops or dealers are looking to shift stock? Like I said, I suspect that will be end of season but as I’m new to this market I thought I’d ask some advice.
I’m happy to sit out this summer now as there is little around that fits our requirements without travelling a long, long way (which I may have to, I get that). That said, if the right MH came on the market I’d buy it without question. I get that this summer I may have to pay more. My small worry is that if this layout isn’t for us then if I trade next summer and the demand is less than this year I could end up losing quite a bit. Much to consider.
The advice already offered is sound concerning finding the right van.

However, I'd suggest October, or even early November might be a good time from a price perspective.

If buying from a dealer, they'll be keen to shift stock before winter and arrival of new models.

Upvote 0
Jan 20, 2019
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
Since 2019
I’d say nearing the end of the tax year when normally businesses want low stock and money in the bank! So Feb/March I would say you are more likely to get a good deal!

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
A good van will always command its price regardless of time of year.
Cheaper vans and ones that are difficult to shift are the ones that will drop in price over the winter.

Upvote 0
Mar 3, 2014
Oxford
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
since 2013
I bought mine in October 17 .. used it regularly over our fairly mild winters... some sites.. some wild..
I think the fervour might die down by then and people will be able to fly to warmer winter destinations,..Canaries etc..
But nothings guaranteed.. if you fall in love with a fun .. step back and have a reality check before buying.. good luck .. enjoy (y)

Upvote 0

Lucky

Free Member
Nov 9, 2019
Limousin France & Yorkshire UK
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 600XV
Exp
Since 2016
I’d say nearing the end of the tax year when normally businesses want low stock and money in the bank! So Feb/March I would say you are more likely to get a good deal!

I agree in part, but most motorhome businesses are limited companies for which the most common year end is December 31, but that doesn't mean they pay tax then.

I do still think we can agree that dealers are most keen to clear stock when they need cash or space, so in the winter when revenues are down and the bills keep coming in, or to shift last year's new unsold stock.

Don't leave it too late though or they'll be holding on to their used stock anticipating the spring upsurge in demand.

Upvote 0

GSD

Free Member
Dec 31, 2016
North Scotland
Funster No
MH
Fifer Touring "M" 2017 E6
Exp
10 years +
I am not sure if this is right because the tax year of a Limited Company is not necessarily 5th April, it will vary from Company to Company. Not every dealer will be a limited company but most will. For example Brownhills tax year ends on 30th September however Perthshire Caravans tax year ends 30th March.
The cheapest time to buy is in the Autumn because a year change is coming and there are fewer sales over the winter. Additionally new vehicles on the forecourt are already a model year older than orders taken and will be a calendar year older as well soon. However of course the factors which depreciate their stock also depreciate what your "new" van is worth. I wonder if there will be a flood of second hand stock next year when the impulse buyers sold the dream this year realise it's not for them after all.

Upvote 0

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Here’s to it & from it & to it again,
If you don’t do it when you get to it,
You may never get to it to do it again!

My fathers saying, in other words.....get off the pot !

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back