Best swimming spots for dogs in France (1 Viewer)

Jul 2, 2017
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Bourton
Exp
Since 2017
Any recommendations for campsites or parking spots where dogs can swim in a river, lake or sea?

We have taken our two Labradors, Charlie and Lucy, to France on many occasions, towing and latterly by motorhome. Sadly Charlie is no longer with us, but Lucy - aged nearly 13 - has once again had the go-ahead from the vet. We'll probably go via the tunnel to avoid stress for the dog and we humans. Whenever it gets hot, our trips usually turn into a search for swimming opportunities for the dog(s) - and ourselves, if possible. Perhaps my favourite site in France is Camping l'Aubige on the River Tarn about 12 miles East of Millau, where the river slows in deep, clear pools. I'd be very grateful if anybody else has any suggestions.

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
One of the best places that is rarely visited by brits is Lake Settons
Montsauche-les-​
Settons. The stretch of coast that runs from Bordeaux down to Biarritz has massive beaches and lakes that all allow dogs. Most riverside sites throughout the Dordogne.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
In the Dordogne you can stay on the Aire at Brantome ( riverside) and Bourdeilles ( riverside). Small Aire in the village of Tocane St Apre has lovely riverside walks with small ‘ beaches’. Boats for hire and the Tourist Information office is housed in a water mill.
Markets are Friday in Brantome, Monday in Tocane St Apre. Can recommend the boat trip in Brantome where you’ll see the oldest, separate church bell tower in France.
Le Grand Etang de La Jamaye is easily accessible and great parking for motorhomes. You can stay overnight by booking in at the office. Whenever I stayed I had the whole place to myself overnight. Huge lake with beach, used to be free kayak hire when I lived nearby.
Riberac isn’t the most attractive town but there’s a large Aire on the river ( free) and market day on Friday is worth visiting.
This is just the area of the Dordogne where I lived, you’ll find 1000s of other places to stay near water.

Van Si

Free Member
Jan 18, 2019
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor
Exp
Just over a year
We are currently at the Lac de la Liez near Langres which is South of Nancy. The picture below is me and Alf yesterday .....

We're also planning on going to Millau, probably be there tomorrow or Tuesday. (I've got a thread running about our trip in the 'continental touring' section of the forum)

OP
OP
A
Jul 2, 2017
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Bourton
Exp
Since 2017
Thank you very much indeed for the responses so far, and hopefully for more to come.

"big map", would that be Camping Les Deux Iles at Lac Vassiviere?

"Parrot face", may I ask where you were staying/ parking near Lac Settons Montsauche-les-Settons?

And "Suntor Si", thankyou for the reference to your blog, you seem to have had access to the lake by staying at the rather expensive Lac de la Liez campsite if I'm not mistaken? (Nice sunny photo of Alphie and you, by the way. Whenever I pass Langres it seems to be raining!)

If you are going to the Millau area, and haven't been before, may I recommend going up the gorges as far as Maleme and trying to get a boat trip through the "Detroits" (clear water, deep gorges, lots of shaded places), if they can accommodate the dogs.

Further than Maleme, the road gets a bit dodgy for tall vehicles travelling back towards Millau because of overhanging rock.

Thanks again.

If you are over 3.5 tonnes and have set up a Garmin GPS Satnav accordingly, you might want to tell it the tonnage is less than 3.5 - the main roads through the town are OK for heavy vehicles, but our GPS was forever warning us about the limit and diverting us on long detours when they weren't necessary. Not that it seemed to matter to the French lorries!

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Thank you very much indeed for the responses so far, and hopefully for more to come.

"Parrot face", may I ask where you were staying/ parking near Lac Settons Montsauche-les-Settons?

And "Suntor Si", thankyou for the reference to your blog, you seem to have had access to the lake by staying at the rather expensive Lac de la Liez campsite if I'm not mistaken? (Nice sunny photo of Alphie and you, by the way. Whenever I pass Langres it seems to be raining!)

If you are going to the Millau area, and haven't been before, may I recommend going up the gorges as far as Maleme and trying to get a boat trip through the "Detroits" (clear water, deep gorges, lots of shaded places), if they can accommodate the dogs.

Further than Maleme, the road gets a bit dodgy for tall vehicles travelling back towards Millau because of overhanging rock.

Thanks again.

If you are over 3.5 tonnes and have set up a Garmin GPS Satnav accordingly, you might want to tell it the tonnage is less than 3.5 - the main roads through the town are OK for heavy vehicles, but our GPS was forever warning us about the limit and diverting us on long detours when they weren't necessary. Not that it seemed to matter to the French lorries!
Yes it is

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp

Thanks again.

Lake Settons. We used to always use the lakeside municipal site
Camping Municipal de la Baie de la Faye. There are a few ACSI sites also on the lake but we were happy using the municipal, basic but clean. Here are some pics of the lake and site.
DSC_0553_01.JPG
DSC_0554_01.JPG
DSC_0555_01.JPG
DSC_0556_01.JPG

Van Si

Free Member
Jan 18, 2019
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor
Exp
Just over a year
Angleseyjj thanks for the tips on Millau.

You were right the campsite on Lac Liez was 20 odd euros, so today I've made up for it. We're on a free aire municipale in Seyssel, on the banks of the Rhone. Although the Rhone is too strong to swim in, Alf had his second day swimming in a lake on the other side of the aire to the river. Some of it is cordoned off, and dogs aren't allowed, however the bigger lake they are allowed in.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Angleseyjj thanks for the tips on Millau.

You were right the campsite on Lac Liez was 20 odd euros, so today I've made up for it. We're on a free aire municipale in Seyssel, on the banks of the Rhone. Although the Rhone is too strong to swim in, Alf had his second day swimming in a lake on the other side of the aire to the river. Some of it is cordoned off, and dogs aren't allowed, however the bigger lake they are allowed in.
View attachment 316319
Couple of miles south of there is a new build plan d'eau. Take the serrierres road and after a turn to some gorges on the keft there is a right hand hairpin with turning on right. He ll be allowed in there. You can just see it down river from where you are

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back