LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2011
Leyland
Funster No
MH
AT Delaware
Exp
since 2010
At present I have a 100w panel on my Autotrail so I am considering fitting a second solar panel and looking for information and advice on which is the best quality to purchase. Looking at 150w monocrystalline, most on Ebay appear to come from China although they are delivered from addresses in towns and cities in this country. So which ones are most reliable or are they all on a par?.
Hoping to keep two 110ah batteries charged whilst off grid.

Ray

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I was swayed by ebay claims of "German Made solar cells" for Alpha Batteries in Rochdale. They seem to be working though keep pointing towards Poland. Good price and delivery.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
A lot of use on the forum have bought our panels from Photonic Universe. They have in their range both Chinese and Germany celled panels. http://www.photonicuniverse.com/
If your a member of The Camping and Caravanning Club you can get 10% discount.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I believe your reading them wrong. P=U x I = 30.8 x 8.28 = 255.024 watts.

@raysalaugh might mean the physical size of the panel to output i.e. the eBay panel 1650mm x 992mm at 18.5kg for 255 watts as apposed to a Photonic Universe 250 watt panel at 1390mm x 990mm at 15.3kg

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Be aware the built in regulator on the Sargent Ec500 used in some Autotrails is rated at 120w. So if your going above that you may need to fit a new separate regulator and will loose the smart charge facility unless you have a duel regulator...

My current 120w panel came from these guys, quite a few other funsters I know have bought from same place. http://www.friendlygreengiant.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=25&product_id=32

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The Germans gave up making solar cells they are all made in China these days.
The only difference I've noticed between the cheaper & the more expensive panels is the frames are stronger on the more expensive ones. Performance appears to be similar but not had any long enough on a van to see if the output falls off sooner with age on the cheaper ones. I doubt if any of us would notice if they dropped off by say 10% too many variables to get consistent measurements anyway.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You need to make sure your controller etc can accept that power level of panels, some can't, also consider the weight too as the 'domestic' (ie meant for house installation) ones tend to be heavier than those meant for motorhomes. If payload isn't an issue then you just need to make sure you aren't putting too much weight on one area of the roof especially if you have other stuff on there.

OP
OP
raysalaugh

raysalaugh

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2011
Leyland
Funster No
MH
AT Delaware
Exp
since 2010
No, I read the label wrong, thinking 150w is large enough considering output to keep battery charged on a sunny day.
Also surface area on roof, fitting in with all the skylights, panel and sat dish. But the question is can I just connect through a regulator to one of the leisure batteries without affecting the Sargeant smart charging system?. I e still charge both batteries whilst driving.

Ray

Urs4_2008

Free Member
Aug 12, 2016
Vestskogen, Norway
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I
Exp
Since 2009
No, I read the label wrong, thinking 150w is large enough considering output to keep battery charged on a sunny day.
Also surface area on roof, fitting in with all the skylights, panel and sat dish. But the question is can I just connect through a regulator to one of the leisure batteries without affecting the Sargeant smart charging system?. I e still charge both batteries whilst driving.

Ray
Can’t see why not :)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Be aware the built in regulator on the Sargent Ec500 used in some Autotrails is rated at 120w. So if your going above that you may need to fit a new separate regulator and will loose the smart charge facility unless you have a duel regulator...

My current 120w panel came from these guys, quite a few other funsters I know have bought from same place. http://www.friendlygreengiant.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=25&product_id=32
Just had a look at their site and they don't make any mention of what connectors are on them or even if they have any leads attached, never mind what length ...

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Just had a look at their site and they don't make any mention of what connectors are on them or even if they have any leads attached, never mind what length ...

They usually come with MC4 connectors but I chop them off anyway, unsure on length but at a guess about 1 mtr ish, approx, maybe, sort of :D

My last 2 come from there and I know @Ambilkate and @Polar bear also bought from same suppliers. They used to post a lot on ebay but not so much now.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
No way would I mount a 100 watt panel with those tidly little brackets & there is only 4 of them.
Not just relying on those, I have some alloy bars too so may, or may not, use the brackets, I was more interested in getting panels with the longer cable to minimise joints.

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Short while after a gap of many years.
At present I have a 100w panel on my Autotrail so I am considering fitting a second solar panel and looking for information and advice on which is the best quality to purchase. Looking at 150w monocrystalline, most on Ebay appear to come from China although they are delivered from addresses in towns and cities in this country. So which ones are most reliable or are they all on a par?.
Hoping to keep two 110ah batteries charged whilst off grid.

Ray

If you want the best solar panels go to:

https://mipvsolarpanels.co.uk/

Third the weight of frame type - higher output - fully flexible - do the research - you won’t find a better option - make in Wales! :)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
If you want the best solar panels go to:

https://mipvsolarpanels.co.uk/

Third the weight of frame type - higher output - fully flexible - do the research - you won’t find a better option - make in Wales! :)
I have yet to see a proper test on these panels and the little reading that I have done would suggest that that they don't offer anything a standard silicon panel can't offer, but I will keep an open mind.

Martin

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I have yet to see a proper test on these panels and the little reading that I have done would suggest that that they don't offer anything a standard silicon panel can't offer, but I will keep an open mind.

Martin

Well - the first very striking thing they offer is an extreamly low profile of 3mm thickness with a sikaflex adhesive film included in that thickness! Personally i think that frame type are so unsightly and cumbersome! No way I am going to put those horrible looking heavy things on my Motorhome!

You can walk all over them which means they are very robust - they will conform to curved surfaces - bi pass diodes around every other cell making them good for part shading - a third the weight of frame panels - the list goes on!

You can sit on the fence regarding the advantages of these panels over silicon frame or even silicon semi- flexible, however having ditched the latter for these I am extreamly happy with them and their performance - but your choice :)

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
I tried getting hold of Friendly Green Giant and they never answered the phone. Went to see them in Ludlow and they were no where to be seen at the address on the website so I went elsewhere. To here in fact ;-) Got two 140 panels off Freespirit1 that he hadn't used, previous versions of these.

Very impressed so far with the panels and the Victron controller. The MIPV panels looked very good but in the end didn't fit in the space I had available.
vansolar.jpg

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I tried getting hold of Friendly Green Giant and they never answered the phone. Went to see them in Ludlow and they were no where to be seen at the address on the website so I went elsewhere. To here in fact ;-) Got two 140 panels off Freespirit1 that he hadn't used, previous versions of these.

Very impressed so far with the panels and the Victron controller. The MIPV panels looked very good but in the end didn't fit in the space I had available.
View attachment 227805

Hi - Good to hear your very happy with them and again an extreamly low profile, low weight panel - they look a nice installation :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back