Best Snow Foam.... Recommendations please (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 14, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin sp van
Exp
Since 1999
Had a search and only one post with little info.. so forgive if this has been asked before...

can anyone recommend one .. perhaps one that a pro. detailer uses that actually works ?

personal recommendations please .. not ... " I know a man who's son uses and swears by it "..

tia
My personal fave is I Can Valet in a local Colchester company & as such works with our very hard water. Use on my Moho, car & motorbike. Full range of products for campers too.
Camper & Caravan Kit – icanvalet.com | Vehicle Cleaning & Care Products

Apr 11, 2022
Warrington, UK
Funster No
MH
N&B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since ‘21
I use Dodo Juice at the moment but when that’s gone I’m going for the Auto Express winner…
IMG_0275.jpeg

Sep 4, 2017
North West, UK
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 Transporter
Exp
Never stop learning 😊
A pertinent question, seeing as I have spent the ENTIRE day cleaning my van.
I confess I can be a vehicle cleaning nerd: just the washing is at least an 8-step process and that is before I start the detailing o_Oo_O and I love doing it.

After years of this I would say that whilst buying a good snow foam makes a bit of a difference, buying a decent snow foam lance makes ALL the difference. My current one is from Pro-Kleen. You can have the best foam available but you will not get the best out of it without a decent lance.

But snow foam is only the first stage and doesn't really clean your vehicle . . . it just loosens the dirt to make all the following processes easier :ROFLMAO:

Jun 9, 2024
Funster No
MH
About to…
I know this is an older question but recently some folk have added to it so here's my two penneth.
Snow Foam is not the same as Shampoo.

Why FOAM is used

All vehicles collect dust and fine particles. Snow foam is meant to remove these before a 'Contact' or wash by hand.
Snow foam is ideal for cars and vehicles that you want to keep shiney and willing to put the effort and money in.
The foam lifts up the dirt and drags it down the vehicle.
If you sponge the vehicle whilst the foam is on ... it's a waste of snow foam, just use a shampoo ... you're moving the grit around the vehicle that was supposed to be washed down by the foam.
Snow foam isn't "instead of shampoo" - it's "as well as."

Snow foam - it's not the quantity of 'bubbles' it is the technology that the company uses to 'lift' and 'remove' any particles that a sponge would catch and wipe around your vehicle. Bubblebath might be a great foamer, but not lift a single bit of dirt so all you are doing is moving all around some foamy grit.
Next time you are somewhere bright or put a torch close to the bodywork of your car/M'Home and you'll see the swirls I am talking about. THAT swirling and Spider-Webbing
is caused by the small particles on paintwork whilst being washed.

Autoglym and Bilt Hamber both excellent products.
  • Spray foam, let it sit for a few minutes (don't let it dry - it streaks) and watch it drag down the dirt.
  • Spray the foam clear.
* NOW you can do a 'contact' wash with a big bucket of shampoo (Bilt Hamber - excellent, a tiny capful fills a bucket).

DON"T use your old sponge. Chenile/microfibre hand gloves are best. Dirt caught in a sponge will cause swirls or 'Spider webs.'
I used to buy mine from he £1 shop, now there have gone up in price as much as a £10. You buy a fairly decent on on E=Bay for half that, and they last a long time if cleaned and dried afterwards.
Every time you go to refill the glove with more shampoo water, agitate it to remove any grit caught in there.
If you have s scratched window because of grit in a wipe - you'll know what I mean about grit scratching.

Work from the top to the bottom and with an brush give the wheel rims and tyres a wash before throwing the water.

I know it sounds a faff 1st with foam, then 2nd shampoo, then 3rd applying a protective coat = but the results will show themselves. If you buy from new and adopt this kind of cleaning your motorhome will continue to look new.

I can't afford new. I know enough about mechanics to ruin it. But washing and cleaning is easy for me and I love to look after the M'Home by spending the time on her.
She costs £1,000's to buy, tax, insure and run ..... so why skimp on making her look good and protecting her??

There are many excellent quick silicone type top coats. A wax is okay for a car, but most M'Home bodies don't need it as they are not liable to rust.
I have just used a new product to me after polishing with a machine polisher the whole body and window because the previous owner probably used the local 'Sponge and Scratch' Euro car washers - and she is getting on a bit. It was covered with scratches and marks I managed to polish out ... mostly. This spray was better for the motorhome than the stuff I usually use on my car. Left a high shine and will be real easy to clean next time.

I know the above sounds like a lot of hard work - but every time you wash it after the initial work, it is so much easier. And if you use the right products to protect, the dirt never seems to get a strong grip and washing is a doddle.

Any advice I can pass on, I shall. It's taken me years and a lot of wasted money to gather this info ... so please feel free to ask car cleaning questions.👍
Thanks for super informative soul screaming info about cleaning !!! Could you please share some information on what type of polisher you are using (orbital or rotating), what type of polishing paste (3M is good idea? If yes what grit and polishing line-collection ish? And mainly what type of heads? Sponges or other material. I’m asking because friend of mine sold me his new Milwaukee rotating polisher and than I’m realized that without good experience it’s probably will be super easy to burn surface with rotary one. Now I don’t know what to do? Buy orbital? They cost almost a triple more…🧐

Apr 25, 2023
Furness, UK
Funster No
MH
Between M'home :-(
Exp
Since the late 80's
Thanks for super informative soul screaming info about cleaning !!! Could you please share some information on what type of polisher you are using (orbital or rotating), what type of polishing paste (3M is good idea? If yes what grit and polishing line-collection ish? And mainly what type of heads? Sponges or other material. I’m asking because friend of mine sold me his new Milwaukee rotating polisher and than I’m realized that without good experience it’s probably will be super easy to burn surface with rotary one. Now I don’t know what to do? Buy orbital? They cost almost a triple more…🧐
Hi Pyck, I am by no means 'professional' I just know what is worth buying and what isn't through costly experiences on a limited budget :giggle: I live by the motto that if something is good, then it's worth using twice as much, which has ruined many a good curry. The first time I ever polished a car, I used a rotary and 3M. The shine was fantastic. So, if I used twice the product for twice as long then I would get a better finish ... yes? No. I just burned through the protective clear coat and my car looked like it had psoriases.

If you're starting out, I would recommend something 'mild' that way if you polish on one place too long, it is forgiving. I use Bilt Hamber Polish for mild work and Meguiars compound for heavier work. All we are wanting to do is remove swirls from previous washes, so start slow until you get the 'feel.' Some of the newer polishing compounds have a 'diminishing' effect, which means they can be used for long periods as the polishing material diminishes over time meaning you can work with it longer. Also some polishes have a kind of 'oil' effect, which means you can use them for longer periods before they dry up and you're burning the 'Clear Coat' away.

3m and others such as koch Chemie are very good, but they have such a long menu for choices it can be bewildering. It's hard to overdo Bilt Hamber or Meguiars Compound or Polish as they are created for us Amateurs and won't strip the vehicle. Do a little at a time until you get the desired result, keep wiping with a soft Micro fibre. Then you'll get used to the product and how long you need to polish.

On Motorhomes, the amount of time polishing can vary. Sides that have brushed against trees might never be mark free, but the appearance of the obvious scratches can be reduced. I used a fine polish around my 'new' Motorhome and some Meguirs for the deeper scrapes.

There are Polishes with added 'fillers.' Also you can buy separate 'Glazes.' These help fill in those fine lines and marks that would damage body work if polished too hard.

There is a whole debate about whether polishing sponges should have holes, not have hole, have patterns etc. There is a lot of hype. Where there is money to be made, there is always hype. Whatever company you go for, find yourself a softish to medium sponge. Only professionals need anything firmer. Buy whatever fits your pocket. I've used cheap Chinese sponges that have done a great job until they fray and spin off into a neighbours garden ... twice. But they do the job. If you pay more, you need to wash them well afterwards and then they are more economical. Again, on a motorhome which might not need the kind of polishing a car might need, start 'soft and slow' until you understand your product, sponge and machine. It isn't a race, so just try to enjoy the process of learning.
Machines? I bought a cheap Rotary which is great for flat surfaces but hard work on uprights, so I bought myself a cheap Argos Orbital. I'm not a pro, so cheap is fine for me. It's about technique and product.

If you have access to a Milwaukee you're off to a good start! All you need to remember really, when using any of these machines is, relax but focus - go slow at first but don't stay in one place. Over time, you're skill will build. Just try to enjoy the experience, unlike me when I first did it and felt that the world was watching me so I got stressed out.

The beauty of Polishing is that you can spend as much time as you want to begin with. If you're unhappy with the finish, then do a little more. You'll get to a point where you'll realise that to get it perfect will need a re-spray, so that is good enough. Mine is a 20 year old bus, so I draw a line between perfection and sufficient.

And you'll need some protection now you've done the hard-work. I have always used waxes on my cars, I just enjoy the process, can't help myself. Radio on and lose myself.

For speed, I was using Turtle Waxes spray 'sealant' and 'waxes'. They added gloss and slip so the car looked good and rain and dirt didn't cling. A sale came up on EZ Car Care for detailing. I bought some 5litre bottles of stuff, especially for the Motorhome as I didn't want to be using my Bilt Hamber more expensive stuff. It's all decent budget stuff and does the job well enough.

The Product I was most impressed with (and the only one I didn't get a 5 litre bottle of) was their EZ Car Care GLOSS BOSS. This stuff really is effortless. It's a wipe on wipe off, leaves a really slick feel (to repel muck) and a high shine.

Hope this hasn't taken up too much time and that I've answered as well as I can. Car Detailing is area that can suck you into lots of fine sounding adverts and products being sold and cost a fortune. I bought one 'spray and shine' detailing product because it was spoken highly of on one Youtube Channel only to find 'Perle' a much better product. So be careful you don't buy loads of un-necessaries.

Some people extol the virtues of 'two bucket' washing. But why? Most quality car washes are able to free any particles when you wash the pit in the bucket and loosen off any grit. So, there is a lot of 'fluff' in detailing Pyck.

Hope this helps. I needed a sit down and I do write long replies ... so I might have over-polished this work and burned a hole in the subject. Any Q's, please ask. Not an expert, but I have a fair idea. Happy Days My Friend and hope your Motorhome gleams.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Our local car parts place recommended Demon Snow Foam and it was very good.

Sprayed on using a new garden spray as that is what we had then hosed down. We didn't bother waxing or polishing afterwards.

We were told this would add shine

but didn't bother as it had started to rain. We bought from the car parts place not mymotorworld but prices were about the same.

Apr 25, 2023
Furness, UK
Funster No
MH
Between M'home :-(
Exp
Since the late 80's
Our local car parts place recommended Demon Snow Foam and it was very good.

Sprayed on using a new garden spray as that is what we had then hosed down. We didn't bother waxing or polishing afterwards.

We were told this would add shine

but didn't bother as it had started to rain. We bought from the car parts place not mymotorworld but prices were about the same.
Puddleduck, the only problem with that demon shine is that it can attract dirt afterwards and doesn't repel future dirt like other spray on sealants and protectives.
Motorworld type shops will promote products that sound good, pay a good return but the end result is less than ideal. It's like wiping your van with WD40, gives a great shine ... at first, then attracts every dirt particle this side of the moon. No detailer would ever use Demon Shine. It works out more expensive in the long run too.

Cheaper Snow foams can give a great foam but that's all. But then again, so does Fairy Liquid. It is all about how much grease and dirt it breaks down whilst on the motorhome/car whilst not ruining any protective coating and not leaving streaks. There is a reason that Bilt Hamber and Autoglym win awards and are liked in the industry and amongst amateurs.

If you want a 'shine' without having to apply a product by hand afterwards, Bilt Hamber's Shampoo is very good. True it is expensive to buy at first, but so little of it is needed that it works out more economical than other cheaper products. Just one capful per bucket in a hand wash! You can feel the 'slickness' in the water. It cleans and leaves a lovely silky shine and far better than the Demon stuff. Hope that helps.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Glad we didn't use the shine then!!!! The foam was really good though.

As we no longer have the van we have no need of the foam etc. The car has a protective coating and the maintenance stuff is included but hasn't been used as yet....... if it stops raining and I feel well enough it might get done by Christmas 2025.

Jul 11, 2009
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Concorde Compact
Exp
Since I was 18.... 1996....
Puddleduck, the only problem with that demon shine is that it can attract dirt afterwards and doesn't repel future dirt like other spray on sealants and protectives.
Motorworld type shops will promote products that sound good, pay a good return but the end result is less than ideal. It's like wiping your van with WD40, gives a great shine ... at first, then attracts every dirt particle this side of the moon. No detailer would ever use Demon Shine. It works out more expensive in the long run too.

Cheaper Snow foams can give a great foam but that's all. But then again, so does Fairy Liquid. It is all about how much grease and dirt it breaks down whilst on the motorhome/car whilst not ruining any protective coating and not leaving streaks. There is a reason that Bilt Hamber and Autoglym win awards and are liked in the industry and amongst amateurs.

If you want a 'shine' without having to apply a product by hand afterwards, Bilt Hamber's Shampoo is very good. True it is expensive to buy at first, but so little of it is needed that it works out more economical than other cheaper products. Just one capful per bucket in a hand wash! You can feel the 'slickness' in the water. It cleans and leaves a lovely silky shine and far better than the Demon stuff. Hope that helps.
I agree Gazgandalf

I am using Bilt Hambler Snow Foam and Shampoo and my Camper was cleaned with Bilt Hambler Cleanser polish and Double Speed Wax a few weeks ago.

Rinse aids and spray on shine work initially but seem to me when tried them to attract black streaks like mad. AutoGlym one excepted.

I normally mix and match products based on what I fancy / is on offer but these Bilt Hambler products all seem to Work so well together that for time being I am sticking.

Daniel

Jul 11, 2009
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Concorde Compact
Exp
Since I was 18.... 1996....
I should add as I love a shine …..this was the weekend after the polish and wax coats.

The paint on my van is lousy quality with lots of orange peel and defects but it still shines up well and most people cannot see the defects …. 🤣 Including the supplying dealer or Fiat - in fact their attempts at fixing made it worse …

IMG_6562 Copy.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back