Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I've just cancelled my rolling contract with 3 and what a conversation that was!!! Well I managed it and my contract finishes on. The 4 November. Then we'll be in Portugal ready to get a Sim card for data mostly. Don't know if my smartphone will take them and my tablet is wi fi only.
I have an old 3 Dongle which I don't think will work. I only need data as I have orange and Vodafone Sims for calls if need be.
Can anyone enlighten e in the best sim for the best coverage as well be traveling through it and want internet going through to the Algarve but won't be there for a while . Entering Portugal I. About 3 days,still In. Spain at the mo and using 3.

Deleted User
I've just cancelled my rolling contract with 3 and what a conversation that was!!! Well I managed it and my contract finishes on. The 4 November. Then we'll be in Portugal ready to get a Sim card for data mostly. Don't know if my smartphone will take them and my tablet is wi fi only.
I have an old 3 Dongle which I don't think will work. I only need data as I have orange and Vodafone Sims for calls if need be.
Can anyone enlighten e in the best sim for the best coverage as well be traveling through it and want internet going through to the Algarve but won't be there for a while . Entering Portugal I. About 3 days,still In. Spain at the mo and using 3.

For data only I use a NOS 15 days for €15 unlimited, which are available from NOS shops, Worten & other outlets, can't help with the phone I use a Vodafone UK PAYG package for £10.

I use the NOS when in Portugal over the winter to watch and download TV so have high usage, if you only have low data usage I would suggest using a Vodafone UK PAYG package.

All these can be topped up online.

Reactions: JJ
OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
For data only I use a NOS 15 days for €15 unlimited, which are available from NOS shops, Worten & other outlets, can't help with the phone I use a Vodafone UK PAYG package for £10.

I use the NOS when in Portugal over the winter to watch and download TV so have high usage, if you only have low data usage I would suggest using a Vodafone UK PAYG package.

All these can be topped up online.

Thanks for the reply I'm hoping to use it to watch some UK tv as well as other surfing..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
Thanks for the reply I'm hoping to use it to watch some UK tv as well as other surfing..

I don't how long that you intend to stay in Portugal but the 3 12Gb PAYG sims work as if you are in the UK now roaming charges have been abolished and BBC iplayer and ITV hub work without using a VPN in the EU.

12GB is probably about 20 hours streaming or download.

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
We’ve been using MEO PAYG data sims - 15€ for 15 days, 30 Gb -so not unlimited like NOS, but 30 Gb is a lot of data - never used more than half. I think I read somewhere their coverage was rated the best, but tbh they all make uk coverage look pathetic. (We barely get 2g at home!) Certainly we’ve been getting a strong 4g signal most places.

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
I don't how long that you intend to stay in Portugal but the 3 12Gb PAYG sims work as if you are in the UK now roaming charges have been abolished and BBC iplayer and ITV hub work without using a VPN in the EU.

12GB is probably about 20 hours streaming or download.

How do you manage that?

We’re in Portugal. I’ve just tried the BBC iPlayer and after signing in and clicking on a program it said you need to be in the UK to view content. Had the same thing the other week with the BBC Sport app.

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We’ve been using MEO PAYG data sims - 15€ for 15 days, 30 Gb -so not unlimited like NOS, but 30 Gb is a lot of data - never used more than half. I think I read somewhere their coverage was rated the best, but tbh they all make uk coverage look pathetic. (We barely get 2g at home!) Certainly we’ve been getting a strong 4g signal most places.
Thanks for that. I have a meo sim although it's 2 years old now. I wonder if that will still be valid. 30gb would be enough for me as well I think.

Deleted User
How do you manage that?

We’re in Portugal. I’ve just tried the BBC iPlayer and after signing in and clicking on a program it said you need to be in the UK to view content. Had the same thing the other week with the BBC Sport app.

Only with a 3 UK sim, other UK sims may also work, with a foreign sim a VPN is needed.

I use Tunnelbear with the NOS sim which costs about $50 for a year, there are lots of others but mostly they are all now subscription to get the UK cover.

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
Only with a 3 UK sim, other UK sims may also work, with a foreign sim a VPN is needed.

I use Tunnelbear with the NOS sim which costs about $50 for a year, there are lots of others but mostly they are all now subscription to get the UK cover.
Thanks for that - just tried my wife’s phone on mobile data (Tesco) and it worked.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I spoke with staff in both 3 and Vodafone yesterday. Three 12 Gig PAYG data sims are now throttled back to 9 Gig per month but you can get a rolling contract of 12G per months for £20.00 and you can use in Portugal. However, Vodafone are offering 15Gig a month (not throttled back) for £20.00 a month on a rolling contract that covers the whole of europe. So just get this then cancel your contract a month before you leave europe.

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I spoke with staff in both 3 and Vodafone yesterday. Three 12 Gig PAYG data sims are now throttled back to 9 Gig per month but you can get a rolling contract of 12G per months for £20.00 and you can use in Portugal. However, Vodafone are offering 15Gig a month (not throttled back) for £20.00 a month on a rolling contract that covers the whole of europe. So just get this then cancel your contract a month before you leave europe.
I have a vodafone sim but I cannot add that data to it now I'm in Spain. So they said at the shop in the UK.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I have a vodafone sim but I cannot add that data to it now I'm in Spain. So they said at the shop in the UK.
I never asked them about adding data when I was in the shop yesterday. My plan would be to buy the maximum I think I would use on a monthly basis (15Gig for £20.00 sounds about right to me) and then take 1-2 PAYG 12 months data cards that can be used as a back up.
I will ask the question about topping up whilst away next time I visit the shop.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
@Welsh girl
Probably not what you want to hear having just fought your way out of a Three contract but:
I recently [last month] signed up with Three for 40Gb/mth plus a new MiFi for £14/mth... [20Gb was just £9!]

With the contract, the 'Feel at Home' cap is 12Gb
- not 9Gb as it is on a 12Gb payg sim.

But the biggie is that for streaming with certain Apps there is no data usage taken from your allowance.
It's called Go Binge and is included in your contract.
http://www.three.co.uk/go-binge/shows

Netflix is the headline one but you need a subscription, or be able to piggyback someone else's.

However, there is one called TV Player and the basic account/service is free to sign up and use for basic TV such as BBC/ITV... in fact pretty much all the Freeview channels - which sounds exactly what you want/need ???
https://tvplayer.com/channels

Music streaming is via Deezer or Soundcloud which also have free basic accounts.

Although I've not tried this - in theory it should be possible to make calls & send texts on your phone via the mifi's internet network using the "Three In Touch" which is designed to work on a wifi network if your in an area of poor reception.

But you probably don't want to get back into bed with Three :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
@Welsh girl
Probably not what you want to hear having just fought your way out of a Three contract but:
I recently [last month] signed up with Three for 40Gb/mth plus a new MiFi for £14/mth... [20Gb was just £9!]

But the biggie is that for streaming with certain Apps there is no data usage taken from your allowance.

Netflix is the headline one but you need a subscription, or be able to piggyback someone else's.

However, there is one called TV Player and the basic account/service is free to sign up and use for basic TV such as BBC/ITV... in fact pretty much all the Freeview channels - which sounds exactly what you want/need ???

Music streaming is via Deezer or Soundcloud which also have free basic accounts.

Although I've not tried this - in theory it should be possible to make calls & send texts on your phone via the mifi's internet network using the "Three In Touch" which is designed to work on a wifi network if your in an area of poor reception.

Thanks for the information. I looked into that and tethering is not allowed nor I'd using the data out of the UK..
I knew I'd lose 18gb of my allowance and accepted that which is why I went for the 30gb a month.
I bought a firestick to tether to when here in Spain but it's not possible
With a Spanish or Portugal sim you can tether and as im here 6 months it annoyed me . They offered me to keep my number for £5 a month but on a 12month contract. I didn't want to do that as if I went over the allowance of just 250mb a month they would charge me 78p a megabyte.Pus I am here for longer than the 120 days .
Not a bill I want.
PS. Fight my way out was right he kept me on the line for over 45minutes trying to keep me as a customer . Nice man though.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
@Welsh girl

That's a deal and a half from 3. It's now £30.00 a month just for the data. I pay for a VPN service so getting bbc & ITV etc when in europe is not a problem. Although, we tend to download films and TV series onto a dedicated media device and save the data cards for live sports , emails, news etc. etc. I'll keep an eye on 3, if that deal comes up again I will bite there arm off. I assume it's on a rolling monthly contract. Whoop! Just realised you would still be restricted to 12GB per month while abroad. Still not as good as Vodafone. Pity.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back