Kizmax

Free Member
Feb 20, 2014
West coast ireand
Funster No
MH
Mercedes cipro garage
Exp
Has anyone any ideas about which generator is the best for wild camping not too expensive ,I see quite a lot of suitcase types on the net petrol and diesel , has anyone fitted one of the Onan diesels
Ie quietest , electric or remote start or something I could build in as I have plenty of space :Smile:
Any advice greatly appreciated

Last edited:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
a couple of decent solar panels a couple of good traction batteries and an good inverter will probably cost somewhere near the same and will be completely silent in operation and wont use any fuel.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Has anyone any ideas about which generator is the best for wild camping not too expensive ,I see quite a lot of suitcase types on the net petrol and diesel , has anyone fitted one of the Onan diesels
Ie quietest , electric or remote start or something I could build in as I have plenty of space :Smile:

I have an Onan 3.8KW fitted into our narrowboat. Air cooled, with it's own built in silencer box within the frame. They are very popular with American RV builders. Not as 'silent' as say a Honda, but hey, 3.8 kw is a hell of a lot of current for a mobile unit of it's size. Had it (second hand) for around eight years, always starts first time. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
a couple of decent solar panels a couple of good traction batteries and an good inverter will probably cost somewhere near the same and will be completely silent in operation and wont use any fuel.

Op did not ask for options simply what was best Genny ::bigsmile:we can diversify into Kipour s etc at half price of Honda later ::bigsmile::winky:
terry

geo glasgow

Free Member
Feb 2, 2014
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail cheyenne
Exp
none a silent or even quiet under load

i got a 2k generator fits in the back storage in my M/h its good does the job but it does generate noise, i have heard most of them and none you could use when there are other campers around.
i agree use solars with invertor and possibly battery to battery charger and that would do, my generator was around £500 i do regret buying it as now im fully solar for off grid,, not wired up completely yet but will be,,
unless i had a massive motorhome then i would have went for an onboard marine generator around 4k in power to run air conditioning fridge tvs, satellite, and lighting etc etc, then and only then would i look at getting one, my advice is realy think about the times you would require this and could everything that you use be changed to 12volt appliances like i have done,,,, before i finish what reasson do you feel youm need to get a generator , if it for off grid then most of us are off grid thats the fun,

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
Op did not ask for options simply what was best Genny ::bigsmile:we can diversify into Kipour s etc at half price of Honda later ::bigsmile::winky:
terry

the point i made about solar was aimed at the wild camping side:winky::winky:
as to not attract unwanted attention by having a noisy engine running letting the whole world know that you are there especially as most wild camping spots are secret.:Doh::Doh::Doh:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
as to not attract unwanted attention by having a noisy engine running letting the whole world know that you are there especially as most wild camping spots are secret.:Doh::Doh::Doh:

AHHH BUT YOUR SOLAR IS NO GOOD IF THE SUN DON'T SHINE ::bigsmile:But I see your point :Smile:
terry

geo glasgow

Free Member
Feb 2, 2014
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail cheyenne
Exp
Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Nah nah n nah nah !!!!

:ROFLMAO:
as to not attract unwanted attention by having a noisy engine running [HI]letting the whole world know [/HI]that you are there especially as most wild camping spots are secret.:Doh::Doh::Doh:

We recently had a long leccy cut off !!!!!:Doh::Doh::Doh:

Guess who's home was well lit up with the TV on etc !:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Fight!

Oww, goody a generator thread, not had one of these for a few weeks!
:boxing::boxing::boxing::boxing::boxing::boxing:
Personally we are looking at this
Broken Link Removed

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
Honda ok good quality but hardly inexpensive
Hyundai seem to be good quality a touch more noisy maybe but around half the price of the Honda, they also do some with remote control starting, we have the HT1000si more than enough to just start up and get the batteries re - charged and also charge the phones and laptops at the same time,

OP
OP
K

Kizmax

Free Member
Feb 20, 2014
West coast ireand
Funster No
MH
Mercedes cipro garage
Exp
Diesel or petrol

I have an Onan 3.8KW fitted into our narrowboat. Air cooled, with it's own built in silencer box within the frame. They are very popular with American RV builders. Not as 'silent' as say a Honda, but hey, 3.8 kw is a hell of a lot of current for a mobile unit of it's size. Had it (second hand) for around eight years, always starts first time. :thumb:

Hi is it diesel or petrol and how much room does it take up

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Hi is it diesel or petrol and how much room does it take up

It's diesel, I have it drawing fuel from the main boat tank, using its own built in pump. Also, it has a remote unit we have mounted in the galley, with start/stop switch, and hour meter built in. Got it off ebay for £350.
My first Onan was petrol, same output, but because of the boat/petrol restrictions, I got this one.
Size is maybe too big for a standard MH about 28" long by 14" wide, thats complete with the frame. Also, it's heavy. Best suited for a boat or large American RV, however, they do make them smaller, same config.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
As already said Honda - noise is or can be an issue - many people look at the maximum output they think they will need and then get a genny which produces that at maximum revs and is therefore noisy.

For the average use a 1kva Honda will provide enough to charge batteries and other appliances but be noisy in operation - a 2 kva will use less petrol and be much quieter than a 1kva as it is running just over tickover speed

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I have a cheep nasty noisy one never had a problem had it three seasons now never even started it.
my battery bank seems to work fine
before that I had a brigs and Stratton never had a problem any one asked me to switch it off I just told them to jog on :ROFLMAO:

Mastercamper

Free Member
Dec 7, 2013
Northumberland Flag Flier
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
50 years campervanning
Has anyone any ideas about which generator is the best for [HI]wild camping [/HI]not too expensive ,I see quite a lot of suitcase types on the net petrol and diesel , has anyone fitted one of the Onan diesels

Please let us know where you intend to wild camp.

So that we can avoid the noise pollution.

Eyeinthesky

Free Member
Sep 9, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2000
The Honda beats all....IMHO:thumb:

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
Everyone tells you Honda i have the cheapie Kipor it was half the price, starts first time and runs very quiet for a genny . Maybe i was lucky as i have a friend who bought the same model and it ran terribly and noisier than mine , he was quite pleased when the Itinerant,s bolt cropped it one night while he was wild camping along with 10 others . we arrived the following night and helped out 4 vans with our cheapie.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun