Best screen cover for Ducato 2007+ (1 Viewer)

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Need to get an external screen for the van and want one to cover those pesky grilles at the top of the bonnet. :RollEyes:

There seem to be 2 options:

1. SilverScreens do a normal Paragon screen with a separate bonnet extension. Will involve a bit more faffing about to fit but looks as if it will stop draughts through the grilles.

Link Removed

2. Taylormade do a simple longer length screen that covers the grilles. Less faffing about to fit but does the draught just blow underneath the cover and through the grilles anyway?

Link Removed

Would appreciate opinions from anyone with experience of using either of these options. :Smile:

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
I have the Taylor made long screen cover, to be honest I have never experienced draughts through the grilles with or without them being covered!! However one benefit I do notice, they keep the rainwater out of the engine bay when parked up.:thumb:

GIBLA53

Free Member
Jul 26, 2009
Powys/Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
since 2002
Another Taylormade man here , not found a problem at all

Alan:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Another plus for Taylor made is they fit magnets at the bottom of the side window screens, this keeps a nice snug fit against the windows.:thumb:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
We have a silver screen with the roll down front with mesh underneath so you can let some daylight in and keep both the screen in place and a bit of privacy.

We have the short version and it fits like a glove.

I also close the internal vents of the van and have not really noticed any drafts.:thumb:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We have a silver screen with the roll down front with mesh underneath so you can let some daylight in and keep both the screen in place and a bit of privacy.

We have the short version and it fits like a glove.

I also close the internal vents of the van and have not really noticed any drafts.:thumb:

Snap

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Thank you all for your input. :Smile:

Taylormade will be easier for me to get hold of as they attend shows whereas SilverScreens don't. But I had SilverScreens with my previous van and was very happy with the quality of them.

Pre-2007, the Ducato didn't have these grilles at the top of the bonnet so short screens would be fine for them. Phill and Ralph-n-Bev, please do your vans have these top grilles or not?

Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
I bought silverscreen for my 2011 Ducato.

Good Service, owner rang me back and we discussed the type of screen was suitable for me.

I asked about the type that covers the slats on the bonnet. He said the special screens were designed for those people who use their van in the snow. The extra length of the cover stops the snow going down the slits.

As I was not going to use the van to go Skiing he suggested I get the type which allows me to open it up half way down the screen.

Used it through last winter and this summer.

Only tip to give would be in summer if you are moving on the next day and it looks like rain, take it off the night before when dry and use your internal screens. this ensures you have dry screens. w store under the bed and would rather have dry screens if possible.

Great bit of kit. Would recommend silverscreens as have not tried taylormade

Cheers

bob

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Hi Maz, yes our vzn has the slots in the top of the bonnet. As already mentioned the only issue is if you intend to use in heavy snow. UK snow !!!! Did not seem to be a problem.

We store our screen in the bag supplied which is waterproof in the rear locker, but on the last x250 it stowed behind the drivers seat in its bag. Did not find storing it damp a problem.

Although you can get a bit wet rolling it up when wet, but this will apply to whatever external screen you decide on.

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Double layer of 'large bubble' bubble wrap - cut to size, seams and reinforcing with grey gaffertape, withstood 2 winters so far, down to minus 22 on one occasion. Still good for at least this coming winter. :ROFLMAO:
Had to turn the heating down, 28degs was a bit too cosy...
Cost - £0 (had the b/wrap and gaffertape already)

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Hi Maz, yes our vzn has the slots in the top of the bonnet. As already mentioned the only issue is if you intend to use in heavy snow. UK snow !!!! Did not seem to be a problem.

We store our screen in the bag supplied which is waterproof in the rear locker, but on the last x250 it stowed behind the drivers seat in its bag. Did not find storing it damp a problem.

Although you can get a bit wet rolling it up when wet, but this will apply to whatever external screen you decide on.

If were moving on and its raining , or the silver screens wet , we just roll it up and stand it in the shower.
Nothing gets wet then , except the cubicle floor. We wouldnt be without ours , all year round. It keeps the motorhome cool in the summer too.

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Yes, I've had silver screens before and leave them in the shower to dry off if necessary.

It was more a case of which design was best for covering the grilles, but it seems to not really be an issue anyway. Think I'll probably end up going for the normal SilverScreens version.

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Turn your ventilation to recirculating to prevent draughts through the grilles.
Most draughts in the X2/50 cab originate through the doors. Look inside the bottom door bin and you will see a square pattern of holes which vent to the outside through a grille in the rear end of the cab doors. You can either tape up these grilles or be lazy like me and stuff a couple of large towels in the door bins.

BTW Silverscreens are superior to Taylormade IMO. We store damp screens in shower to prevent water on the floor.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Maz

I bought a long length one from from Taylormade at Malvern for my new Citroen Relay van and used it for the first time yesterday evening/last night. We were very impressed with the snug fit and the 'hedgehogs' (velcro covered very strong magnets which hold the sides down on the doors). There was no question for me because the longer one covers the bottom edges of the windows, and my last van suffered from moss there!

Besides which I come from her part of the country, and we both know the same pubs!

C

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back