Best Sat Nav (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Have just downloaded it to my mac book,,,can find it but can't get it on screen,,,BUSBY.

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Well Busby that sounds like a vote for PC or Android.

Tin hat on.

Doug

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Well Busby that sounds like a vote for PC or Android.

Tin hat on.

Doug[/Q

I struggle with any technology ,,,BUSBY

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that
I plan things out with google and use sygic on the ipad. Usually works out fine with a little route adjustment now and again. Nearly always travel non toll and non motorway in France. I would like to be able to add my google routes to sygic or another sat nav if that's possible.

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi laser101uk

Can you save your Google routes as .gpx files. If you can you could then import them into the Nav4 Tomtom's and the Garmin units.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Hi laser101uk

Can you save your Google routes as .gpx files. If you can you could then import them into the Nav4 Tomtom's and the Garmin units.

Pardon,,,dont understand a word of it,,,BUSBY:D:D:D

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Busby

If you Google " converting a Google Route to a .GPX file" you will see.

You can create a route in Google Maps then save it and copy it to another programe like Tyre and then you can save it in a format that is recognised by Garmin Units and the latest Tomtom units.

Doug

Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
I bit the bullet and put in a Pioneer system combined with reversing camera, radio, dab, bluetooth, cd, etc etc in the centre dash of the fiat. Great system all round and so easy to upgrade maps and poi's.

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
I was an early adopter of satnav, I can remember using mapopolis on a Dell pocket pc, now that really was weird!
Apart from a brief use of Garmin which I didn't get on with I've been using TomTom for many years.
@GJH is perfectly correct when he says that the current TomTom Nav4 devices are useless for adding custom POI's. Garmin devices are good at this but I use a TomTom Start 25 which is a Nav3 device. That is to say it's a earlier generation before TomTom crippled the POI bit.
It's relatively cheap (£90 or so) and quite basic, no dimension adding or traffic advice but for me it's been quite reliable ( I'm on my second one now ) and it has a large clear display, acquires satellites easily and adding POI's is a breeze.

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Mack100

It is easy to add POI files to the new Nav4 units the only real differences are that you have to add them 1 at a time and the file must be less than 2mb. You can search your added POI files either Near Me, Near Destination, Along Route and in Towns or Cities with the results of your searches visible on the map. You can select a specific POI from a search and add it to your route. What you cannot do is have a specific Icon for the POI or display them permanently on the map which I hope they resolve sometime. There is no real point to having a specific icon at the moment because they are only shown on the map when you are searching a specific POI file. When you are displaying the search results on the map you can click the icon to see if there is any other information such as telephone numbers.

It would be very true to say Tomtom crippled the POI file option when they first released the Nav4 units and took too long to start sorting it.

I am sure you are probably aware but if your Start device has a serial number prefix of: AO, AY, BK, BL, WM, WN, and WO you could buy the Camper Map if you wanted and then you can put in your vehicle dimensions and still otherwise have a unit that operates as the old ones..

Doug

Last edited:

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Hi Doug
Thanks for that. I nearly did that but by the time I've added each POI individually I'd be too old to use the motorhome:D
I did check out the camper map but decided against it as I've never been caught out yet with many years of use both tugging and motorhoming (I know, famous last words comes to mind). I think I understand about satnav mapping now, I've lost count of the times that I've shouted "it's only a bloody computer" to my passengers when the moaning reaches a certain level " I wouldn't go that way, I always use a map, it's quicker the other way, turn it off the sound of her voice drives me mad" etc. Bit like on here sometimes!

Edit: did catch me out once when it told me to "now take the ferry" to cross the little River Fowey in Cornwall. Yep, try that at midnight!

Reactions: DJA

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Edit: did catch me out once when it told me to "now take the ferry" to cross the little River Fowey in Cornwall. Yep, try that at midnight!
That's a foot ferry..... :eek:

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Mack100

Just to clarify its not the individual POI's you add 1 by 1 but the POI files. That reminds me you cannot add or correct a POI onto an existing POI file on the unit which is probably the biggest omission for me. I have to update the file elsewhere and reload it back to the unit.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
It would be very true to say Tomtom crippled the POI file option when they first released the Nav4 units and took too long to start sorting it.
Not sorted anywhere near enough yet, Doug. There are still several threads about the lack of POI support on the TomTom forums.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back